Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Jetex rocket motor Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 11 February 2019 00:37:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Just saw this on fleabay, you could call it the original solid fuel model jet engine to power Kiel Crafts balsa model jets. The problem with them was they had to be cleaned after every flight and if you didnt they had a tendency to explode.

I saw one of these literally explode in mid flight taking out the Venom and the engine. Fun days as I was a DC Diesel engine free flight buff, chuck n chase in those days and the Jetex was beyond my pocket money and was regarded as an exotic by many at that time.

Happy days and the whiff of diesel fuel takes me right back.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...;_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tf64
#2 Posted : 11 February 2019 07:22:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy I can remember them well I had a Jetex 50 and the larger model the Scorpion,the Jet 50 I used in smaller builds and the Scorpion I used for larger builds.

The 50 burnt out after only a few flights so I went for the Scorpion which did last longer.I can remember fitting asbestos on the under side to try and control the heat but it took a few of my models,they were my first of powered flights,thanks for the memory.

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Martyn Ingram
#3 Posted : 11 February 2019 08:20:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Ooh the memories of jettex Cool A friend of mine fitted one to model boat , he lit it pushed the boat out into the pond , there was a lot of smoke and a sudden flash and the whole thing exploded sinking the boat . Wow what would health and safety say now LOL . And I am the same as you Andy I love the smell of Diesel takes me right back to my flying days Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Tomick
#4 Posted : 11 February 2019 09:35:48

Groups:

Oh those experimental day’s of Jettex Laugh LOL and the Ether/Diesel addiction Woot
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 11 February 2019 11:34:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Gerry Anderson went through literally thousands of them during the time of 'Supermarionation'.
They were the jet effects in almost every take-off and landing shot of any aircraft/rocket.
In several episodes of Thunderbirds, you can see parts of the models smouldering after landing where the Jetex motor set fire to it...