Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Revell's 1/48 P-61 Black Widow Options
mwstratton
#1 Posted : 09 February 2019 15:24:53

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I didn't plan on building another aircraft this soon but the San Fransisco II I ordered last week was out of stock, so I had to make a quick run to the local Hobby Shop for a new in-between Build.

Upon opening the box I found parts made from good quality resin. There is a fair amount of flash and some injection marks, so cleaning the parts will be a bit more laborious than my recent A-10 Warthog build.

Of course the first step of any plastic build is to thoroughly wash and Rinse the sprues. Allow them to air dry.

Next all parts for the flight deck were identified and cleaned of all imperfections. The parts were painted according to instructions then fitted and glued in place.

This completes page 1.

Thanks for looking in....
Mark
mwstratton attached the following image(s):
Box Cover.jpg
Black Widow pg1.jpg
Black Widow pg1a.jpg
Black Widow pg1b.jpg
Black Widow pg1c (2).jpg
Black Widow pg1d.jpg
Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 09 February 2019 17:07:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start to your build. Cool
mwstratton
#3 Posted : 09 February 2019 21:08:09

PAGE 2

I started by locating all needed parts and cleaned up the flash and mold marks. They were then painted as directed in the instructions.

There was some detail painting to do on the side walls of the flight deck. These parts were then fitted to their respective main fuselage half.

Next, the four 20 cal. cannons were glued to their locations in the belly of the fuselage.

Decals were attached to the inside flight deck walls.

At this point the flight deck was suppose to be fitted to one of the fuselage halves but, I found a PE brass detail kit for the cockpit so I will skip this step for now.

I apologize for the small number of pics. My phone didn't save the first 2 or 3 photos I took.

Happy modeling...
Mark

Black Widow pg2.jpg
Black Widow pg2a.jpg
Black Widow pg2b.jpg
Black Widow pg2c.jpg

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

Spal
#4 Posted : 10 February 2019 00:38:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You have made a good start on this, look forward to seeing the detail kit added.

Al
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 10 February 2019 08:38:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice work I did the HobbyBoss version a while back its an interesting aircraftCool

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=21340
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#6 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:14:47

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Mark and a great start, will be following with interest.Love Drool

Mark
mwstratton
#7 Posted : 11 February 2019 16:46:42

Page 3

This session will see the dorsal gun turret and the nose cone radar array completed.

First, the turret housing parts and 50 cal machine guns are located cleaned and painted per the instructions. The parts are then assembled taking care not to get glue on the pivot points of the guns.

The flash and injector marks on the radar array's parts is removed. The parts are then painted and decals applied. The radar assembly is completed and fitted on the forward bulkhead.

The completed turret and radar assembly are set aside for installation later when the fuselage halves are joined.

Thanks for stopping by...
Mark
Black Widow pg3.jpg
Black Widow pg3a.jpg
Black Widow pg3b.jpg
Black Widow pg3c.jpg
Black Widow pg3d.jpg
Black Widow pg3e.jpg

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#8 Posted : 11 February 2019 16:53:29

Page 4

The wings are assembled during this stage. The needed parts are located and cleaned up. The halves of the wings, ailerons and flaps are fitted together and glued up. Allow the glue to dry.

Fit and glue the aileron and flaps to the wing section.

Repeat this for the other wing.

Set the wings aside for final assembly.

Until next time....
Mark
Black Widow pg4.jpg
Black Widow pg4a.jpg
Black Widow pg4b.jpg
Black Widow pg4c.jpg

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#9 Posted : 12 February 2019 07:44:43

Page 5

Today I'll address the external fuel tanks, engine and rear landing gear assemblies.

The halves of the 4 external fuel tanks are located, cleaned of all mold marks and assembled. They are then painted and the decal gas caps and fuel labels are applied.

Next the engine parts are cleaned and the base coats of paint are shot. I then assembled the engine and finished off by detail painting the assembly.

The left landing gear parts were cleaned. The parts were painted and assembled. The steps were repeated for the right gear.

The inside of wheel well of the side fuselage with the exposed engine was painted.

That completes this session.

See you next time.
Mark
Black Widow pg5.jpg
Black Widow pg5a.jpg
Black Widow pg5b.jpg
Black Widow pg5c.jpg
Black Widow pg5d.jpg
Black Widow pg5e.jpg

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#10 Posted : 12 February 2019 07:50:48

I received the flight deck detail set in today's post.

My next session I will attempt to add the PE details to the flight deck. This is the very first time I'm using this type of part so not making any guarantees.

One question, is it better to paint the brass parts before fixing them in place or after?

Thanks
Mark
Black Widow flight deck detail.jpg

Under the Bench:

Markwarren
#11 Posted : 12 February 2019 09:04:49

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice update Mark, looking very tidy. That PE is going to bring out the detail.Love

Mark
mwstratton
#12 Posted : 15 February 2019 05:57:48

Flight Deck Detail

I have definitely had a challenging few days. PE details are certainly difficult to work with. Even with metal primer first, I had trouble getting paint to stick. On the up side, the paint rubbing off actually kind of makes the panels look worn and used. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.LOL

Once I had the detail kit fitted, I finished the prior steps of assembly of the fuselage and wings.

This catches the build up to page 6. Moving over to start my Douglas DC-3.

I'll be back......

Mark
P61-detail1.jpg
P61-detail2.jpg
P61-detail3.jpg
P61-fuselage1.jpg
P61-fuselage2.jpg
P61-wings.jpg

Under the Bench: