Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Wiring for lights Options
Aerod
#1 Posted : 24 January 2019 17:24:03

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello,
I am building the Jaguar E type and have got to issue 96. Most impressive model - even my wife thinks so!
I decided that it was logical to test the wiring before putting the bottom on so purchased 3 of the battteries that you mentioned in a previous note.

It is actually a good thing that I did as one of the headlamp LEDs was not working - a wire had become attached so a soldering iron cured that problem

It is easiest to remove the brake footpedal to access the switch for testing purposes.

I must say that I then got confused as lights did not work as expected. When I connected power and switched on the rear amber lights and the rear red lights worked fine but there was nothing at the front. The pedal switch made the two red lights brighter.

Measuring on the distribution board I found that power was on socket 5 Connecting the lead marked 7 to this socket lit up the front amber lights as one might expect. I then connected the switch temperally to socket 4 and the headlamps (leads 5 and 6) to the sockets 6 and 7. Operating the switch made the headlamps flash 5 times.

If this is correct there is a misprint on the distribution board sockets and the instructions.

Again the soldering iron came out when both leads to the main on/off switch fell off

Could I have your comments please

Many regards

Aerod
Spal
#2 Posted : 24 January 2019 21:32:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry to hear about your problem.My lights all work as they should having followed the instructions so there isn't an issue with them.It may be worthwhile rechecking all the connections are made correctly in the transmission tunnel and also to the connection board.

The lighting operates with the floor switch turning on the headlights and tail lights,the brake pedal lights up the brakelights and the push button on the dashboard activates the hazard lights for a short time.

Al
Aerod
#3 Posted : 25 January 2019 12:12:14

Red Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Mea culpa I take back what I said Followed the instructions in detail and all seems to be ok. I had read the 6 for a 9 and this meant that the rear hazard lights came on with the floor switch. I therefore assumed that the front hazard lights should have come on. Again I assumed that the front hazard lights s
doubled for the front sidelights

As the advert says 'should have read the instructions'

Aerod
SLowner
#4 Posted : 25 January 2019 13:45:34

Aerod,

I am at the same stage as you. I also want to test the circuit until the wires are buried almost forever. I think it is best to first figure out what is meant to happen:
1) Turning on the switch on the floor turns on the headlights and red tail lights (no front sidelights, unfortunately)
2)Pressing the button to the right of the steering wheel puts on the amber indicator lights (no left or right differentiation, apparently)
3) Pressing the brake pedal makes the red tail light glow brighter (combined stop and tail).

That is my interpretation. Frankly, I would rather they had spent more time on the wheel bearings instead of the rather gimmicky and inaccurate lights.
BTW, where did you get the battery from?
Spal
#5 Posted : 25 January 2019 14:25:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SLowner wrote:
Aerod,

I am at the same stage as you. I also want to test the circuit until the wires are buried almost forever. I think it is best to first figure out what is meant to happen:
1) Turning on the switch on the floor turns on the headlights and red tail lights (no front sidelights, unfortunately)
2)Pressing the button to the right of the steering wheel puts on the amber indicator lights (no left or right differentiation, apparently)
3) Pressing the brake pedal makes the red tail light glow brighter (combined stop and tail).

That is my interpretation. Frankly, I would rather they had spent more time on the wheel bearings instead of the rather gimmicky and inaccurate lights.
BTW, where did you get the battery from?

Your interpretation is correct.The 3xLR44 button-cell batteries I used came from my local supermarket and are readily available.

Al
Tezza
#6 Posted : 31 January 2019 00:21:28

It seems to be common sense to test the wiring and lights BEFORE fitting the floor pan, indeed I also purchased 3 x LR44 button cells to do this. WHY, in their infinite wisdom, has DeAg chosen to provide the batteries in issue 100, the final issue, when common sense dictates they should be provided earlier? Oh well, at least we'll have spares on hand for when the batteries we've purchased for testing run out in a few years time...
Spal
#7 Posted : 31 January 2019 01:48:22

Tezza wrote:
It seems to be common sense to test the wiring and lights BEFORE fitting the floor pan, indeed I also purchased 3 x LR44 button cells to do this. WHY, in their infinite wisdom, has DeAg chosen to provide the batteries in issue 100, the final issue, when common sense dictates they should be provided earlier? Oh well, at least we'll have spares on hand for when the batteries we've purchased for testing run out in a few years time...

Please be aware that the batteries are not provided as part of this build and need to sourced by yourselves.This has always been the case so unsure why you are thinking otherwise.

Al
Tezza
#8 Posted : 01 February 2019 00:18:49

Tomicks post of 18th October: "Battery confirmation is 3 x LR44 button-cell batteries which are advised to be fitted in issue 100"

Although it doesn't say 'supplied', it implies that the batteries are included in issue 100. Perhaps clarification that LR44's should be sourced by the builder so that wiring and lighting tests can be performed while the model is still under construction?
Tomick
#9 Posted : 01 February 2019 00:24:01

Groups:

Issue 100 actually say’s NOT supplied and there is also mention earlier in the magazine content of Batteries not included.
Tezza
#10 Posted : 01 February 2019 01:01:52

Tomick wrote:
Issue 100 actually say’s NOT supplied and there is also mention earlier in the magazine content of Batteries not included.

As I haven't yet received issue 100, how am I expected to know that? Anyway, I'll take your word that "batteries not included" was mentioned in an earlier magazine, though for a Grand per subscription, I'd have thought 3 LR44s gratis would have been a nice gesture.
acinsa1
#11 Posted : 18 February 2019 22:04:22

The problem is not with the cost. There are rules and precautions when sending any batteries via post. They are classed as hazardous materials and need separate postage declarations and clearance. I don't think DeAg were trying to save costs.....its a whole stack of Admin which is needed.