Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Builder1000 Options
Builder1000
#1 Posted : 22 February 2019 16:55:17

Groups: Registered

ID Box - 3D printer

I have sort of completed my build, I've had endless problems and delays but that's another issue.

I have tested the x/y axis and found the y axis does not move. It just won't budge forwards or backwards. It first appeared that there was some tension in the belt so I resolved that. However the motor still doesn't make a complete revolution. It acts like a see-saw motion.

Iv'e checked all the connections and they are all fully in place, it gets power and I've confirmed it connects with my computer. The x axis functions properly.

I believe the motor is likely faulty. I don't want to have to take half my printer apart to test this. I am hoping someone has an idea or even the answer.

Thank you for reading.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 22 February 2019 21:42:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi It sounds like the motor needs replacing, order a replacement from C/S.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Builder1000
#3 Posted : 23 February 2019 19:08:18

Thank you for your reply. It's a shame, but I did think this was the problem so not a surprise.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 23 February 2019 19:11:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Double check all your rods are positioned correctly ie paralell to the drive belts below or above them and that the head moves without binding on its rods.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Builder1000
#5 Posted : 23 February 2019 19:52:31

I will take another look, I did recall doing that during the build. The head moves freely when the printer is off and disconnected from the mains.

What do you mean when you say ‘without binding on it’s rods’? I assume you mean it doesn’t bend any of the rods. I’m not sure.

Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll take a look shortly. 👍
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 23 February 2019 21:16:27

If the print head rods are set up correctly you should be able to push the print head into each corner without any binding of the print head on the rods. If you do find it binds some slight readjustment will fix it.

Builder1000
#7 Posted : 24 February 2019 19:43:39

Ive had a look at the head and all the rods today and made some adjustments. Im going to go through the alignment instructions again tonight to make sure its correct as per instructions and hopefully that will change things. I will update once I have tested it.
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 24 February 2019 20:14:12

Ok will await your findings.

Builder1000
#9 Posted : 24 February 2019 23:51:01

So, I have re-tested and still have the same issue. The Y axis motor won't do a complete revolution. I disconnected the belt from the motor and tested it again. It makes a very short judder but does not do a complete turn at all. I now firmly believe the issue is the motor and not the belts. I re-checked all the belts and the motor build via the booklets. It is all correct and in alignment. All cables are in the correct places. I built the R2-D2 so have lots of experience with cabling and how important it is to have the right cable in the correct place! Really don't know what else I could check at this point.

Thank you for your advice. At the very least I know my build is all correct. :)
Shauncnh
#10 Posted : 25 February 2019 20:07:06

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Builder1000, I had the same problem when I build my 3D printer with the motor juddering back and forth.
I had the motor driver ( The small circuit boards) plugged in one row of connectors in the wrong place. This my also be your problem it took me ages to find it and was only when I started moving motor drives about a found what I had done. Also if there are correct try swapping the motor driver for the x and y to see if you have a faulty motor driver. Hope this helps you.

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Build- titanic,Skyrider drone, solar system, T72 tank
Builder1000
#11 Posted : 25 February 2019 22:06:35

Hi,

Thank you for the new ideas, I’m going to investigate this now. Did your ‘faulty’ motor make a noise constantly while the power was on? Also the motor vibrates even when I have not sent any commands.
Shauncnh
#12 Posted : 25 February 2019 22:22:14

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi,
Yes my motor started vibrating and humming soon as I turned printer power on.

Regards shaun
Building-RC spitfire
Builder1000
#13 Posted : 25 February 2019 22:43:30

Hi Shaun,

Thank you for your help, it has resolved my issue.

I simply swapped over the driver boards as they were in the correct places and now both motors are functioning.

BigGrin

Maybe it wasn't fully in - or worked loose as I was moving the printer. I've no idea but im very happy its working.

Thank you again, very much appreciated.

Builder1000
Shauncnh
#14 Posted : 25 February 2019 22:47:45

Glad to hear it’s working now.

Regards Shaun
Building-RC spitfire