Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New to Model-Space in Southern California Options
jgerl186
#1 Posted : 26 February 2019 17:57:11

Groups: Registered

Greetings all! I'm new to Model-Space and just ordered my first kit for the 14-month HMS Surprise. I live in Southern California and even took a trip down to San Diego to see the ship that was used in the movie Master & Commander for inspiration. I am not new to modeling at all, but this will be my first wood ship build. I'm happy to see there is an active community here for support and that makes me happy with my decision to start this build.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on a all-in-one starting tool kit specifically for ship modelling? I have generic tools for modeling, but looking for things more specific to ship modeling (precision saw, files, sanding block, etc). I found this one on Amazon which seems okay to start, and then a more expensive one here from Garrett Wade. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or have a better suggestion? Just looking for basic stuff to get me started, but won't break or wear out two months in.

Thanks for your help, and I'm excited to join your community!

Jacob
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 26 February 2019 21:14:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum Jacob. I’m sure you will enjoy your stay here as we’re one big happy family. You will also find plenty of help and tips if you need it. Gandale and Magpie1832 are our experts forum support team for all things nautical, along with many of other forum members. I’m sure they will offer much help if needed.
Enjoy your stay with us and I look forward to seeing your progress soon.

Mark
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 26 February 2019 21:28:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jacob,
I have the basic set from micromark and it is excellent.The Wade kit has some more specialized tools and you can always pick up some of the more advanced tools as you progress, but the basic set should be enough to get you going. Micromark and modelexpo-online are good US sources for tools.Good luck with your build.

Carl

Spal
#4 Posted : 26 February 2019 21:28:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum JacobBigGrin you have come to the right place.Why not take a look at some of the quality tools that are available in the Model Space tool section.

https://www.model-space....ccessories/show/48.html

Al
Gandale
#5 Posted : 26 February 2019 22:06:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Jacob, its great to have you aboard... I'm sure you'll love the experience of taking on your first wooden ship build, you'll find a completely different but enjoyable form of modelling and I look forward to following your progress....Cool Cool

As for tools, you may find this topic useful:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=25351

gives a list of the tools you're likely to require. I started with simple basic tools and added to my collection as and when they were needed. Good luck with your new venture and remember, we're here to help you should you need it.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jgerl186
#6 Posted : 27 February 2019 17:07:04

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll look into Micro Mark and your other suggestions. I got confirmation my order shipped this morning, I'm excited to get started!

Jacob
magpie1832
#7 Posted : 27 February 2019 17:12:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to modelspace Jacob. Nice to see another member join us.

Great choice of kit with the surprise. Just take your time with this one as it's more of a challenge than most kits but gives you great results.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

delboy271155
#8 Posted : 27 February 2019 19:52:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum Jacob. BigGrin

Enjoy your build and don`t forget some pics to keep us updated on your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 28 February 2019 07:04:35

BigGrin Welcome to the Forum Jacob and enjoy your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .