Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 18 August 2017 19:41:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all I don't normally do planes (to be honest I'm rubbish at them) but I remember building the airfix one as a young lad and I remembered it had so many more parts than any other plane I ever built, well I saw it and it bought back happy memories so I bought it, it's been in the stash for a while and since I'm starting to get bored of the ships at the moment and looking in the stash no cars took my fancy I thought while I'm waiting for my pocher 1/4 ducati I would pull this out and have a go. I'm not intending to try and build some great model as i dont have the knowledge or skill with a plane, I am intending to do the Knight Rider 300 version from the kit.
Anyhow here is the kit and my start on it.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Spal
#2 Posted : 19 August 2017 00:05:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to see how you get on with this Ken, will be following.

Al
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 19 August 2017 20:11:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As I said I don't know why I bother with planes (give me an engine or a ship and I can do a half decent job) I've barely started this the cockpit was going ok till I glued the hull halves together and tried to get rid of the seam but also got rid of the panel lines (no point in trying to rescribe them had a disatrus attempt at rescribing lines on a Halifax so won't be trying that, I may attempt doing it as a crashed plane or one in a junk yard or maybe just shelve it.

kpnuts
#4 Posted : 30 August 2017 19:47:57

Hi all well I'm still doing it and here is the next update.

Gandale
#5 Posted : 30 August 2017 21:45:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Always great to try something different and am sure you'll do a great job.... look forward to seeing how it all turns out....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Spal
#6 Posted : 31 August 2017 03:41:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good to see you are continuing this build Ken, look forward to seeing it come together.

Al
kpnuts
#7 Posted : 19 September 2017 20:36:10

Hi all done a bit more on this. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with tamiya they only give the option for landing gear down and I wanted it up but the doors are a really bad fit when you cut the unnecessary bits off to have them shut, I've bodged it up as best I can.

kpnuts
#8 Posted : 13 January 2019 15:59:22

Hi all well I've developed a bad habit of starting models and not finishing them(I get to a boring bit or a tricky bit, or it's just not going very well (like this one) and I shelve it)

Well I've decided this yr I'm going to try and restart, and who knows maybe even God forbid finish a few.

Well this one not being a subject im very good at got left as soon as the going got even slightly tricky, when I left off (The kit dose not have the option for landing gear up but that was how I wanted it, simple enough I thought) the landing gear doors would not shut properly so I valiantly struggled for about 5 mins then shelved it and gave up.

Well I've started it again and ive done my best with landing gear doors, had a go at doing the panel lines with a pin wash ruined it, stripped the paint off had another go, same result so this time I repainted it and tried my own idea I got some 600 grit and a piece of black pastel which I sanded over the wing I then rubbed it in with my finger, then wiped the mess off with a damp cloth, i am quite pleased with the effect.

I've added some weathering (probably not great as I know little about planes but I'm happy with how it's going)

kpnuts
#9 Posted : 17 January 2019 20:00:11

Next update, last one for a fortnight (holiday of a lifetime cruising the Caribbean)

kpnuts
#10 Posted : 08 February 2019 18:42:44

Hi all here is the next update, i was fairly sure I would make a mess of trying to do the exhaust staining with the airbrush so I opted for doing it with a brush, i know it would be better with the ab but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Nemesis
#11 Posted : 08 February 2019 20:55:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along well Ken. I never use an AB for exhaust staining, I found the best way for me is to use lamp black oil paint, put a couple of dots by the exhaust and dry brush with a flat semi stiff brush, that way you can build up the layers gradually and get a more sooty effect. Also if you need too, you can damp the brush with thinner (literally just slight damp, not wet) to pull it further if needed.BigGrin Cool
kpnuts
#12 Posted : 28 February 2019 20:29:13

Thanks for the info mate.
Well got a bit more done on this.

kpnuts
#13 Posted : 05 March 2019 20:53:43

Hi all another bit done.

kpnuts
#14 Posted : 12 March 2019 21:02:48

Hi all well it's done, another stalled build finished, never been good at planes but quite pleased with this, yes lots could be better and I really should do more research on a subject I know so little about.

Well I suppose I can only get better with any I do next (As it happens I've got a flying fortress calling me, I'm thinking of doing it as a cutaway)