Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Ignition Lead insertion- Issue 15 Options
Jax_R.
#1 Posted : 26 March 2019 18:46:15

Groups: Registered

I've been thoroughly enjoying this build. Just got my 4th shipment with issues 13-16 the other day.

have been working on the engine and was doing well until I got to this point in issue 15 of inserting the lead from the ignition into the distributor......

Is there a magic trick to doing this Confused I've tried so much I'm now afraid the plastic lead is going to break off from being grabbed with the tweezers so much. I've tried opening the holes on the distributor with a pin, thinking when I painted it, the paint may have narrowed the hole some but that didn't work. I'm at a loss.
No way for me to get my large man fingers in to try manually, the tweezers are an exercise I frustration. I have the patience for this, been at it for over an hour already but thought I'd ask here to those of you who have built this or are further along than I am.

Please help me figure this out. Kind of wishing now I hadn't painted anything, it may have been easier to do this but an airbrush shouldn't have made this difficult, it's just a few dusted layers of black paint.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Jax
Jax_R.
#2 Posted : 27 March 2019 19:59:54

The lead broke from all the manipulation...man I regret painting this now...if I had it to do over again, I would NOT paint the engine. Going to try & remove the paint, it's Wicked Colours acrylic so hopefully it won't be too bad to get off. Failing that, when DeAgostini sends the replacement lead, I'm just going to cut the tips off and cement them all in place. Should never have painted the engine Angry Mad Crying
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 28 March 2019 09:24:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I can't imagine what the problem might be.
I painted all my parts and had no problems.
Try running a very fine drill bit down inside each plug hole on the engine, and the same on the distributor.

I did actually make my own leads, but I still used the kit 'plug cap' ends.
They went in with no bother.

Roy.
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1015001.JPG
P1016805.JPG
Jax_R.
#4 Posted : 29 March 2019 12:18:26

roymattblack wrote:
I can't imagine what the problem might be.
I painted all my parts and had no problems.
Try running a very fine drill bit down inside each plug hole on the engine, and the same on the distributor.

I did actually make my own leads, but I still used the kit 'plug cap' ends.
They went in with no bother.

Roy.

Thanks for the info Roy. I will give that a try today. I can't imagine why it did that either, as I said, there were only two light dustings of black paint from an airbrush. I could understand if I used an actual bristle brush to paint it but this baffles me.

Appreciate your tip. BTW- yours looks great! Thank you!

Jax