Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Hachette 1:200 Battleship Bismarck Original Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 27 March 2019 22:18:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

So i mentioned in my Hachette Bismark Re-Issue build diary that i had been looking for the original kit for years, with no joy. i specifically wanted a complete, un-started kit, which, as you can imagine, is like rocking horse droppings!
Well, while browsing a well-known internet auction site, i came across my 'holy grail' Drool . A complete, unstarted original kit with all binders and free gifts! Definitely not cheap, but then it was the kit i had been searching for.
After exchanging funds, the kit has duly arrived, and i must say i'm very impressed! Hardly any warpage (although the first part of the keel base needed a quick steam iron-but not a lot), and the parts go together like a dream - so far BigGrin.

The shots below show the assembly of the first 6 stages ( out of 140). I decided to fix it to a build board,just on the off chance and to keep everything as straight as possible. I made some locating guides for the cross beams out of scrap wood, again to aid alignment.
I also ordered 'Anatomy of the Ship - The battleship Bismarck' by Stephan Draminski - an unbelievable source of photos and material, highly recommended for any builder of this ship whoever the manufacturer.

Amati, who produced this kit for both Hatchette and Modelspace, kindly provided a very good build diary (which is where I copied the cross beam tip from), although much speeded up Laugh

So here are the photos of my progress so far.
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 28 March 2019 06:41:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start and have fun with her, be careful with the stern area as its easy to put a bend in the hull hereCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

chogyjo
#3 Posted : 28 March 2019 13:08:42

Groups:

Hi, Good start looking forward to see more pregress and post photos. Enjoy the build.
Joe
DaDokta
#4 Posted : 28 March 2019 13:34:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Gandale
#5 Posted : 28 March 2019 14:05:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now you have this you must be a real happy chappy….BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin .. Looks like you're off to a great start, I'll be following your progress closely so good luck with the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 28 March 2019 14:12:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Andy, Joe, Walter, Alan, thanks for looking in guys, and your comments.

Alan, your not wrong there Drool I have got BOTH on the go now so busy, but happy, boy ThumpUp

Andy, having seen the video build of what's coming up, i have to agree with you (although Modelbau who is doing the build doesn't seem at all fazed Confused), this could be the 'banana boat' moment LOL Laugh LOL
tigerace
#7 Posted : 28 March 2019 23:20:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice start gray BigGrin looking forward to your progressBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

CaptnBirdseye
#8 Posted : 31 March 2019 18:21:31

tigerace wrote:
Nice start gray BigGrin looking forward to your progressBigGrin regards PhilCool

BigGrin Thanks Phil. she seems to be going together well for a kit that's, what 11 years old?
Here are stages 7 to 10. I have to say i was a little worried with the stern, as she seemed to be developing a small warp. However, pleased to see once the strengtheners were added, she straightened up a treat ThumpUp.
The locating lugs for the deck supports have now been removed and getting ready for the next stage: planking Scared.

The last photo shows the shear size of this thing, alongside my Trinny! She's gunna be a big'un Woot
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG
IMG_0792.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
Gandale
#9 Posted : 01 April 2019 13:31:09

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice steady progress Gray, all looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 01 April 2019 13:48:22

BigGrin Thanks Alan, she seems to be coming together quite well so far ThumpUp
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 01 April 2019 17:15:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats all looking very nice grey.

I attempted this one when it first came out and ended up messing up my hull build. I did replace the full kit for such a time i might have some time on my hands to indulge my hobbies but in the mean time have opted for the new hachette metal hull version as something that (certainly so far) looks easier to put together.

Just reading through your updates i see you are following the youtube build of this one but out of interest wondered if you have come across the following link. While the builder never completed the kit in terms of site updates he did pick out a few issues as he progressed so thought you might be interested.

Hope your build continues well.

http://www.buildthebismarck.co.uk/
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
CaptnBirdseye
#12 Posted : 01 April 2019 17:25:48

BigGrin Thanks for looking in Tony, your comments are appreciated. Shame about your kit, but can see how easily it is done.
The metal hull version is a lot easier, and i'm building them both together so will have to see which i prefer, but this was the one i'd always hankered after.

I had seen that build log, thanks, but never followed it through to the end as i'd found Modelbau's video which i thought was a lot easier to follow. He doesn't show the pitfalls, or all the preparation needed, but gives an idea of the steps to follow.

Regards
Gray
Sticky Wickett
#13 Posted : 02 April 2019 16:50:47

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice progress Gray. Coming together nicely!

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
CaptnBirdseye
#14 Posted : 02 April 2019 22:06:54

Thanks Phil, have to say enjoying it so far ThumpUp
Garth
#15 Posted : 03 April 2019 06:46:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Gray,
Good luck with your build. I will be following eagerly.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 03 April 2019 07:41:18

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Gray, looking forward to seeing this come together.Cool

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#17 Posted : 03 April 2019 09:32:58

BigGrin Thanks for looking in and your comments guys ThumpUp