Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mating Boiler to Chassis Options
dslinick
#1 Posted : 13 April 2019 18:15:20

Groups: Registered

After long delays, finally trying to get D51 finished. Motor runs wheels on the display stand very nicely, but when I put boiler on, seems that there is not enough torque to run the motor. I can't see any interference between boiler and moving parts, but perhaps I am missing something. Anyone else run into this issue?

FYI, There is a nice video of the D51 model running up on You-tube

birdaj2
#2 Posted : 13 April 2019 19:44:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Bit difficult to gauge the issue without seeing it but one thing i remember from some of the early postings is to offset the join on the rear boiler band as were the screw goes through that it can affect the silicon tube that connects motor to drive shaft.

Only other thing i can suggest is checking the batteries are at full charge.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 13 April 2019 23:14:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

The issue is with one of the boiler bands. In the instructions it tells you that one of the boiler band screws will interfere with the tubing that connects the motor to the drive shaft.You need to move the screws on the band to one side to clear the path for the motor.I had this happen to me too. There is a page in the instructions I believe in the section where you mount the body to the chassis that shows you how to move the band.I totally missed that part of the instructions.As soon as I moved the screws on the boiler band out of the way of the motor works fine.Carl