Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
RAF SE5A Options
budgie
#21 Posted : 29 March 2019 22:52:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Thanks for looking' in gents

Blushing Shouldn't really be making this post as it will show just how "thick" I am Blushing

Instructions: fit fin in slot, pin the side parts in place, remove fin, then glue the sides.
They will be sanded to shape once glue set.

Lining up the side parts I was convinced that they should sit flush or over the fuselage to sand back.

As this was not the case I convinced myself there is something amiss.

Scouring thru the instructions several times to see if I had missed something I gave up and went to bed.

The following night I again tried to see where I went amiss but to no avail.

Then it dawned on me maybe those parts are sitting in the correct place and checked with the plan.
Everything tiddlyboo.

Thinking ahead to the next stage "where does the tail wing fit"

I could not see how it could in the place indicated on the plan, as it will not slip over the fin or the balsa sides and I cannot cut the wing in half and glue one half on either side
Again I went thru the instructions from front to back but could not see how to achieve this.

The clearest picture I can find off the completed model before it is covered is on the store website.
I zoomed in and confirmed that it sits below the balsa sides.

So maybe I have got to cut the fuselage me thinks.

So putting my specs on I stuck my nose up to the area I thought I would have to cut and guess what I saw --------
---------
Blushing Blushing Blushing
Anyone see where I put my jelly babies
budgie attached the following image(s):
fin.jpg
line.jpg
plan.jpg
jelly baby.jpg
budgie
#22 Posted : 30 March 2019 20:09:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Evening Folks
Shaped the balsa blocks and cut the fuselage, added reinforcement to tail end parts.

The cocktail sticks were used to align 2 off the same parts which are joined on top off one another.

This part is used to join the 2 elevators together. (1 servo)

Flapper Remove cocktail sticks before glue sets or will need to drill them outFlapper
Thanks for lookin'
File Attachment(s):
front.jpg (958kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
cut.jpg
wings.jpg
ribs.jpg
together.jpg
Gandale
#23 Posted : 30 March 2019 22:43:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Another great update, very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#24 Posted : 04 April 2019 20:13:51

BigGrin Evening Folks
The build board was rescued from a skip, Drool nice and thick too good to let that goDrool

As it will be difficult to push pins in to it, a layer of cork was stuck down with carpet spray.

The plan for one half of the lower wing was cut and stuck down with tape and clear plastic layered on top to offer some kind off protection while assembling

All the parts for this part off the wing was located and dry fitted

Next is to disassemble and start pinning and gluing
Thanks for lookin'

plan.jpg
dry assembly.jpg
wings.jpg
budgie
#25 Posted : 06 April 2019 14:12:43

BigGrin Good afternoon Folks

wondering if I can pick your brains please

I have gotten myself into a situation of self doubt

After dismantling my dry fixing off parts for this wing section (which does not line up EXACTLY with plan) I took the plunge.... time to pin and glue

The first strip off wood is too long with the1:1 plan

OK will I sand to fit plan

NO NO NO

the part that glues to this strip off wood is spot on but not with the plan
So the plan is wrong

OK so a photocopy is NEVER 100% but by this amount NAH

STEP BACK

Why am I using a build board......Gooogle says

How to build an rc model aircraft wing ...TAAADAA hence my progress

Once had a throb on my big toe....googled it and after having a brain transplant I still have a throb in my big toe

So maybe not for this particular model

The instructions supplied with this model says REFER to 1:1 plan NOT stick pins and dollops of super glue

Ensure ribs are VERTICAL

NOTHING about HORIZONTAL.....tabs to fix in place on material.... if squint they would not line up

As the plans for the fuselage and wings is split between 2 sheets of paper and if you cut them out you can get them to align but at silly angles to each other

Perhaps this plan is mainly for the numbering of parts and how they join together
Any suggestions appreciated with thanks in advance
baw.jpg
jig.jpg
Plymouth57
#26 Posted : 06 April 2019 21:31:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey there Budgie!

When you say the plans are photocopied did you mean the plans 'as supplied' or did you photocopy them? When I was constructing my paper model Pups I was 'photocopying' the parts for trial runs on my computer scanner and couldn't understand why they were slightly out in size. I then discovered in the preferences screen that the scanner defaults to 97% unless manually reset to 100% on each scan!
Personally, looking at the wing jig photo I would scan and print the paper plan using trial and error until the plan actually fits your wooden parts and the same for the other sheet, get the dimensions correct then print off a few copies and 'cut and paste' (or sellotape!) the parts together until they agree with your fuselage construction dimensions and angles.
At least then you'd have something that matches the actual model (and lovely work on it too!)Cool

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#27 Posted : 07 April 2019 08:32:40

BigGrin Hi Robin
Thanks for reply
I have not photocopied the plans they are as supplied

The ribs seem to fit the plan ok its just that couple of mill extra length ways
budgie
#28 Posted : 19 April 2019 19:04:39

BigGrin Evening Folks
carried on and built the four wing sections

All the wing sections are physically the same length, and all are longer than the plan length ways
Width is spot on with the plan

So all should be tiddlybooGlare

Still to smooth over
Thanks for lookin'
wing.jpg
wing1.jpg
birdaj2
#29 Posted : 19 April 2019 19:31:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That all looks very neat and tidy.

Hope it all continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#30 Posted : 20 April 2019 00:04:43

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#31 Posted : 20 April 2019 09:20:52

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good progress there Tony, nicely done....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#32 Posted : 20 April 2019 13:31:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nice work Tony, all looking very neat and tidy, well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
budgie
#33 Posted : 20 April 2019 13:55:14

LOL Yep well done TONY very nice progress, best looking' SE5A on the forum so farLOL LOL LOL