Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Tony's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S Build Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 07 May 2019 18:28:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 07th MAY 2019

When Deagostini announced this model a few years ago now I was so up for getting this one but at the time circumstances meant that it was out of my price bracket.

So it was with a lot of pleasure to subscribe to this when it was re-released.

At the moment I am up to Pack 4 and until now had not made a start on the build but as with my earlier Harley Fat Boy diary I have decided to diary this on the forum on the hope that it may just generate some interest.

Again, this will be a standard build following the kit instructions as my knowledge is insufficient to allow me to start dabbling trying to upgrade or add additional parts. To be honest I would never know if there was a certain “doings” missing or not and as the model seems to be very nicely detailed, I will be more than happy completing it as it stands.

One slightly “ODD” thing I have noticed with all 4 packs I have received so far is that each one has come with 2 copies of the build instructions. One copy sits in the bottom of the box with the parts on top and then that is topped off with another set of instructions.
Not a major issue for me but just hoping my gain is not at someone else’s loss.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 07 May 2019 18:34:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

PACK 1 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 07th MAY 2019

STAGE 1

PICTURES 1 & 2

The instructions supplied in this kit follow along the same lines as those I am receiving for the Harley Fat Boy Build. Very nicely produced with large clear pictures and easy to follow text instructions.

PICTURES 3, 4, 5, & 6

The very first part of the build has us fitting the rear wing stays. These are press fit but by design are very tight so follow the instructions and be sure that you do not damage the paintwork on this part.

With hindsight it might have been best to leave this part of the assemble until a later time so there is no chance of it getting damaged. That said its together now and I will wrap it in some pack padding I have so that should resolve any issues.

STAGE 2

PICTURES 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11

The next stage is to fit the tyre to the wheel.

They will have you remove the tyre liner and then brush the tyre to remove any residue left over from the manufacturing process. I used a nail brush (don’t think Mum would have been too impressed if I had pinched her toothbrush for the task 😊).

My tyre seemed to be well made and to be honest this stage was not really needed in my case.

Having put the tyre liner back in place its time to press the tyre over the wheel. That did take a bit of force as the rubber was “grabbing” the metal tyre. Some sort of lubrication might have made that task easier but its not called out in the instructions and I do not want to ruin my build by using something that might affect the rubber.

Patience is the name of the game and soon wheel and tyre are together. And a very heavy wheel this is.

STAGE 3

PICTURES 12, 13 & 14

This stage has us taking the camshaft covers supplied in Stage 2 and fitting the Chromed bolts supplied with this stage

PICTURES 15 & 16

The instructions tell you to remove all of the bolts from the frets but as we only install 14 of them in this stage, I decided that would be all I remove otherwise you can guarantee you are going to lose one of these tiny pieces.

Slight Typo in the instructions (PICTURE 16) as it mentions installing 16 bolts but prior to that you are told to leave one of the bolt holes empty so it’s a total of just 14 you install at this stage.

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

Having cut off the 14 bolts required for this part of the build (Making sure it’s the A type bolts you have removed and NOT the B type, all you need is a decent pair of tweezers to insert them. Should add here that this stage does include a pair of tweezers so a useful additional if you do not have a set already.

Once in place (PICTURE 19) they really look smart and so much better an effect that if the manufacturer had cast these in with the camshaft cover.

The final part of the build in Pack 1 has us installing the camshaft covers onto the cylinder head.

You need 4 of the 5 screws supplied in this pack (so you have 1 screw spare). When screwing the covers in place make sure NOT to overtighten the screws. You will feel when they firm up and its best to stop at that point or you could end up stripping the threads out of the camshaft cover.

So that completes PACK 1 and I must say you get a lot more to do from what I am seeing with the first 4 packs so a good amount of build time with each pack.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 07 May 2019 18:54:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Have fun with your build. It's a stunning model.
I recently completed one for a friend an thoroughly enjoyed adding to it.

Roy.
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 08 May 2019 07:51:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Enjoy your build, very nice kit.

Mark
Gandale
#5 Posted : 08 May 2019 08:27:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Think you'll have fun with this one and I look forward to seeing your progress.... Enjoy....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RM1
#6 Posted : 08 May 2019 13:25:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a great looking kit.BigGrin Looking forward to following the build.
Malc.
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 08 May 2019 14:33:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

It is one of the best 1/8 car kits ever made IMHO.It goes together very well.The only tricky part is mating the upper and lower body parts.When you get to that part a second set of hands makes it much easier.

Carl

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 08 May 2019 16:32:14

thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Had an extra day off today (back to the joys of work tomorrow) so pressed on with some more of the build but its so detailed I have spent most of today just on pack 2. Not an issue in the slightest as its kept me well occupied today and "touch wood" I have had no major issues so far with putting it all together.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#9 Posted : 08 May 2019 16:35:16

PACK 2 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 08th MAY 2019

STAGE 4

PICTURES 1 & 2

For this section of the build we will be completing the 2 remaining cam shaft covers and making a start on the front bumper. This time we install all 16 bolt heads. You just need to make sure that you cut off the Part A bolts as the Part B which is longer will be used at a later stage.

PICTURES 3 & 4

The instructions suggest removing the gasket material from each camshaft cover before fitting the bolts. Not quite sure why but I guess there is a valid reason so that is just what I did.

PICTURE 4

And here are the 2 camshaft covers each with their 8 bolts fitted in place just awaiting the gasket material to be put back in place.

PICTURES 5 & 6

These 2 camshaft covers are now screwed onto the cylinder head using 3 screws on each part. Remember when doing this not to overtighten the screws in case it strips out the hole on the camshaft.

PICTURES 7 & 8

Fairly easy section this which sees the fog lamp housing being fitted to the bumper and then the lamp lenses being fitted next.

The instructions had me slightly concerned as it suggests filing out the holes in the fog lamp housing if the lens fit is too tight but pleased to say mine went together just fine without any modification work being required.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#10 Posted : 08 May 2019 16:42:16

STAGE 5

PICTURES 9 & 10

In this stage we put together the first of the two front wheels.

Its suggested we run an old toothbrush (or in my case a nail brush) over the tyre to remove any debris left over from the moulding process.

Followed the directions but no debris on my tyre.

Its then fitted over the wheel and being a narrower wheel, this was slightly easier than I found when fitted the tyre to the back wheel.

With the 2 wheels assembled so far, we are also given the centre caps. These are small and could easily be lost so make sure you store these securely for when required later in the build.
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#11 Posted : 08 May 2019 16:44:11

STAGE 6

PICTURE 11

This stage gives us the Front Spoiler and the A/C Compressor bracket.

PICTURES 12 & 13

We need to fit 4 of the supplied bolts into the A/C Compressor bracket. I have decided not to remove all of the bolts from these frets until required as you can guarantee these will go missing if you do.

PICTURES 14, 15 & 16

IN this part we fit the front spoiler and front bumper together. Pay attention to the instructions as 4 screws are used for this but note the 2 outer screws are m2.3 x 6mm and the 2 inner screws are m2.3 x 4mm.

As these screws are being placed into plastic again great care not to overtighten these and strip out the holes.
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#12 Posted : 08 May 2019 16:47:34

STAGE 7

PICTURES 17 & 18

Absolutely loads of small parts in this section. All very well individually packed.

PICTURES 19 & 20

We complete PACK 2 by assembling these 2 parts. You will have some parts left over from Stage 7 so if you are breaking from your build at this point then ensure you bag these left-over parts safely so they do not go missing before you get chance to use them.

So that completes PACK 2 and its kept me nice and busy today to the point that I have only just made a start on Pack 3 but will update on that one later.
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#13 Posted : 08 May 2019 20:39:35

PACK 3 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 08th MAY 2019

STAGE 8 – CARBURETTORS AND AIR FILTERS

PICTURES 1, 2 & 3

These are some really nicely finished parts. The carburettors are plastic but the finish is spot on looking just like cast metal. Again, with the air filters some real nice markings already in place and even though quite small you can read all of the text on those.

This section has us fixing the carburettors on the air filters using 3 of the supplied screws.

Again, this is fixing into plastic so need to ensure the screws are not over tightened.

PICTURE 4

Once the filters and carburettors are joined then you can fix these in place on the cylinder head.

While this part of the build could not be easier, they ensure you do not get it wrong as the instructions for this part cover 4 pages and 25 pictures/text steps.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 08 May 2019 20:42:03

STAGE 9 – DISTRIBUTORS

PICTURE 5

While we get 4 sections of the exhaust pipes in this section these are not used at this stage so they can be safely stored away until a later time.

PICTURES 6, 7 & 8

In this section we are shown how to fit the distributor parts onto the high-tension leads. And these in turn are fixed to the Oil Casing Assemble from the previous pack.

Once installed we need to isolate the single leads from each distributor and feed these 2 leads through the supplied lead retainer (Pic 8)
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#15 Posted : 08 May 2019 20:47:34

STAGE 10 – SILENCERS

PICTURES 9 & 10

Here we take the 2 parts of the A/C Compressor from the last section and fix these together into a single unit.

We then fit the 2 belts from stage 7 and this whole assemble is then fixed onto the Oil Casing Assemble. A little bit tricky lining it all up but not at all impossible to do.

PICTURES 11, 12 & 13

We now turn our attention back to the cylinder head assemble and this time we are fitting the throttle crank base. This has a pin which fits into the corresponding hole on the cylinder head.

We then take the 2 long B bolts from the previous section and use these to fix the throttle crank base to the cylinder head.

SIDE NOTE

PICTURES 14 & 15

When we get to pack 4 there are some notes about the self-tapping screws and how they should be used. The instructions mention the use of a 2.3mm Tap in order to thread out some of the screw holes.

As I have had a few issues in the past with thin self-tapping screws snapping off and not wanting to have this happen on this build I decided to buy one.

To be honest I would really have liked to have seen this tool provided as part of the kit.

I have used it to tap the 2 holes as seen in picture 15 in this instance.

PICTURES 16 & 17

This section sees us installing the Oil Casing onto the cylinder head. It suggests loosening the screws that hold the camshaft covers in place and I found doing this made lining up the oil on this piece a whole lot easier.

The oil casing is then fixed in place using the 2 self-tapping screws called out in the instructions.

PICTURE 18

While most of the build in this section involves parts from previous issues, we get the parts as shown in this picture to work with.

The steel exhaust shrouds and decals I have left bagged up as I am waiting some materials recommended in Pack 4 instructions to finish these. So, for now it’s just the silencer parts that we need.

PICTURES 19 through 24

All of the parts for this part of the build have numbers so its just a case of matching the part to the instructions.

All of the parts are just pressed together so fairly quick to put together to end up with a set of pipes as shown in Picture 24.

And that covers off all of the build for Pack 3. I have Pack 4 all ready to go but at this stage I am waiting delivery of the MR HOBBY primer and Top coat as used in the instructions.

I am sure you could use various products here but not wanting to tempt fate and cause myself any issues I am sticking as close to the instructions as I can.
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
Happy Modelling

steele
#16 Posted : 11 May 2019 22:15:26

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

You're right about where I am in my build---a couple notes/responses:

I have left the spoiler and its mounts disassembled for the time being--I agree it's a very real possibility of breaking them while dealing with all the other parts/assemblies, as it is the last piece to attach. (I also need to polish/repair some poorly-painted areas on the spoiler anyways---and I've got plenty of time before pack 24 gets here to do so)

I too bought a 2.3mm tap just for this kit---and the screws that went into the tapped holes went in the easiest of any in the kit by far. I plan to tap quite a few more than the instructions suggest now, due to how much easier it made it.

I had to loosen the screws for the valve covers a LOT to get the oil casing on, to the point that I practically removed them.

I didn't find any need to enlarge the holes for the foglight lenses either---and I had both chrome-painted the housings, and Future-coated the lenses, and the fit still was "just right".

I used the "officially shown in the instrucitons" Mr Hobby metal primer on the exhaust tips, but used common "Tamiya Gloss Clear" spray as the overcoat on them, after decaling.
birdaj2
#17 Posted : 11 May 2019 22:24:27

steele wrote:
You're right about where I am in my build---a couple notes/responses:

I have left the spoiler and its mounts disassembled for the time being--I agree it's a very real possibility of breaking them while dealing with all the other parts/assemblies, as it is the last piece to attach. (I also need to polish/repair some poorly-painted areas on the spoiler anyways---and I've got plenty of time before pack 24 gets here to do so)

I too bought a 2.3mm tap just for this kit---and the screws that went into the tapped holes went in the easiest of any in the kit by far. I plan to tap quite a few more than the instructions suggest now, due to how much easier it made it.

I had to loosen the screws for the valve covers a LOT to get the oil casing on, to the point that I practically removed them.

I didn't find any need to enlarge the holes for the foglight lenses either---and I had both chrome-painted the housings, and Future-coated the lenses, and the fit still was "just right".

I used the "officially shown in the instrucitons" Mr Hobby metal primer on the exhaust tips, but used common "Tamiya Gloss Clear" spray as the overcoat on them, after decaling.

The 2.3mm tap has proved useful as just used it to tap out the rear suspension spring mounts on the jaguar. Absolutly no way the screws were going in without destroying the parts. I even thought they had the wrong screws detailed in the instructions.

Concerned to hear you have had paint finish issues with your build. My Porsche is awaiting a repjacement body as the finish on that is terrible its got paint splats and runs in the finish that really stand out. Just hoping this countach build does not have issues.

My primer and gloss coat turned up so providing the weather is dry tomorrow i hope to finish up the exhaust parts.

Hope your build continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#18 Posted : 12 May 2019 09:40:31

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent progress being made Tony, looking fab.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 12 May 2019 20:07:31

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking really good. Love Love

Mark
birdaj2
#20 Posted : 12 May 2019 21:01:32

Alan/Mark

Many thanks for the comments.

Just about finished with my pack 4 with just the final section 14 to do.

This is the exhaust decaling so that will have to wait until next weekend but have managed to complete up to that stage.
Happy Modelling