Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Colour change Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 20 May 2019 18:15:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

While my jag build has only just moved onto the rear suspension, so a while away from getting any major body parts, i was wondering if a re-spray would be easy or not.

I am not 100% happy that the bonnet and doors really have the depth of colour and shine i see in the model in the launch advert.

Recently i saw on facebook someone had re-sprayed theirs in a similar but metallic green. Really lovely deep shine and smooth finish to the paint.

I know you would have to rub down the existing paint and prime but just wondering if anyone has any views with this being a diecast model (ie if i rub off the existing paint am i going to end up with a bad surface possibly).

I guess with the interior colors it maybe limits the body colours but any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 20 May 2019 18:45:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I know I'm going to do a roadster version but I'm also going to change the body colour to primrose yellow, and the interior to dark red.
I'll rub down the exterior green paint with wet and dry, prime with Halfords grey, then Halfords white, then a few coats of yellow...

Jump in - have a bash. It's all good fun.
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 20 May 2019 19:23:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

roymattblack wrote:
I know I'm going to do a roadster version but I'm also going to change the body colour to primrose yellow, and the interior to dark red.
I'll rub down the exterior green paint with wet and dry, prime with Halfords grey, then Halfords white, then a few coats of yellow...

Jump in - have a bash. It's all good fun.

Roy

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a plan.

I have used halfords primers in the past on plastic kits so i know they are some decent primers.

I think i will give it ago (it was always at the back of my mind) as it certainly needs a better finish (certainly on mine).

Just need to track down a suitable top coat then. Those zero paints look quite useful unless halfords have something in a can that would make the task easier.

Thanks again

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach