Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Making rigging more realistic. Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 23 May 2019 16:32:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Afternoon all,
As the title above says, how do I make some of the "loose" rigging look more realistic?
I am building a model (1:64th Amati Revenge) without sails and some of the rigging is "loose" or "hanging loose".
I can't think of a better way of describing this but the thread will not hang in a smooth curve even
though I have added some weight to it by drawing it over a bees wax block a good few times.
Admittedly, the thread is only 0.75 thick but I had hoped for a better result.
Your experience and know how would be appreciated. Thanks.
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:19:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The only piece of rope work I’ve done is more recently with the LVCP D-day diorama. I wanted the rope to look realistic and hang right. I dabbed the rope useing super glue to shape it where it needed to be. I would practice first and don’t superglue your fingered. LOL

Mark
nightwisher
#3 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:28:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have used watered down p.v.a on foot ropes to make them sag ,might be worth a try
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Plymouth57
#4 Posted : 23 May 2019 17:48:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Goddo!

This is purely theoretical as I haven't actually tried it myself, only thought about it! Blink
You could try a type of 'false rigging' by using nightwisher's method with the pva glue but with the following:
Find a solid object to make a former with a curve similar to the 'sag' you want to achieve, something like a saucepan or similar and wrap a layer of cling film around it. Then soak the thread in the pva solution and lay it around the wrapped former (several times if you need a lot) and allow to dry and stiffen up. Then lift the pre-shaped dried thread off the former and cut a length to match your rigging. If it was coming from a rigging block for example you'd need to leave the hole in the block free (or re-drill it out) and then super glue the end of the thread in before fixing the other end wherever that goes to. This method would need a bit more planning ahead to determine where it starts and where it ends but should provide a subtle curve which won't alter after time. Like I said - theoretically!BigGrin
Best of luck!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
goddo
#5 Posted : 23 May 2019 18:14:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thanks for the advice guys.
Markwarren: Not too sure about the superglue option as this makes the rigging very rigid and, in my eyes, a bit unrealistic.
Plymouth57: I like the sound of your suggestion with watered down PVA formed around something of the suitable radius.
All I need to do now, is persuade my wife that her saucepans are allowed to be used in such a scheme......NO chance!
I’ll let you know how I’m progressing as soon as possible.
Plymouth57
#6 Posted : 23 May 2019 22:05:11

Errr, I know! DON'T TELL HER! LOL LOL Flapper

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
nightwisher
#7 Posted : 24 May 2019 05:23:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

She will know ,They always know Sad
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Sparky1962
#8 Posted : 24 May 2019 07:34:27

morning goddo & nightwisher
have a suggestion get your own saucepan(s). get them from a charity shop, win-win. if your better halves moan tentatively suggest using hers!!! just a thought.
goddo
#9 Posted : 24 May 2019 08:57:49

Plymouth57 wrote:
Errr, I know! DON'T TELL HER! LOL LOL Flapper

Robin

Why do I get the impression that this post is generating a can of worms?
You guys must be much braver than I am to even consider pinching saucepans.
Anyway, I tried the idea of watered down PVA last night and just laying it on the bench to get the curvature on a test piece of rigging and while it worked to an extent, the rigging that I am working on is black thread so the glue makes it look a bit grey.
Perhaps a weaker solution will do a better job.
I will persist (like Mrs May) and come back to you with a solution (unlike Mrs May)
Martyn Ingram
#10 Posted : 24 May 2019 10:05:54

BigGrin Hi goddo. I have had the same problem with PVA on black thread but came up with a solution. What I did was to water down the PVA with watered down black acrylic paint, leave to dry and bingo nice stuff or curved black thread
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
goddo
#11 Posted : 24 May 2019 10:36:40

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Hi goddo. I have had the same problem with PVA on black thread but came up with a solution. What I did was to water down the PVA with watered down black acrylic paint, leave to dry and bingo nice stuff or curved black thread
Hope this helps
Martyn

Brilliant idea Martyn,
Thanks very much for the solution to the problem.
That's what I love about this forum. There are always knowledgeable and helpful people who respond.
Onwards and upwards.
Goddo
Martyn Ingram
#12 Posted : 24 May 2019 11:10:53

BigGrin No problem m8 always happy to help Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe