Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <1234>»
Tony's Lamborghini Countach LP 500S Build Options
birdaj2
#21 Posted : 12 May 2019 21:05:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

PACK 4 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 12th MAY 2019

STAGE 11 – THROTTLE LINKAGE AND BLOW-BY GAS HOSES

PICTURES 1, 2 & 3

In this built segment we insert the HT Cables into the cylinder head. The instructions mention that its possible to do this so that the leads match the exact arrangement as on the real car.

It’s a case of removing the black bands and sorting the cables as per the numbering shown here in PICTURE 1.

Can get a bit confusing so to make things a little easier for myself I traced each lead back and numbered them using a piece of masking tape.
It all starts off looking very much like a “Rats Nest” but a bit of patience and you soon have the leads sorted in the correct order.

PICTURE 4

Here we can see the lower set of leads all inserted into the correct holes in the cylinder head.

Its then a case of doing the same thing with the second set of leads.

PICTURES 5 & 6

Same process again of removing the black bands holding the leads and tracing the sequence back using the instructions to get the leads into the correct order.

PICTURES 7 & 8

Once all the leads are in place in the cylinder head everything starts to look a whole lot neater.

PICTURE 9

These are the parts that actually form stage 11.

PICTURES 10 & 11

Here we install the Blow-By Gas hoses A, B and C

PICTURE 12

We complete this section of the build by fitting the throttle cable.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#22 Posted : 12 May 2019 21:09:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

STAGE 12 – THROTTLE LINKAGE AND ALTERNATOR

PICTURE 13

These are the parts we get for this section of the build. A wheel and parts for the alternator.

PICTURES 14, 15 & 16

We fit together here the 3 alternator parts supplied with this section plus the alternator fan supplied earlier in the build.

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

Lot of care required here as we fit the throttle linkage to the to of the cylinder head assemble. Looks quite complicated in the instructions but working around each locating pin in turn it all went together very well.

Only part that needs to be pressed into place with slightly more pressure is the gold coloured crank on the middle of the piece. Care needed as the plastic is very fine and excessive force could see you breaking this part.
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#23 Posted : 12 May 2019 21:13:46

STAGE 13 – EXHAUST PIPES AND REAR TYRE

PICTURES 20 & 21

Here we take the 4 exhaust pipe sections supplied earlier in the build and join these together. Its just press fit but needs a little bit more pressure to get them fully located.

PICTURES 22 & 23

Another tyre to fit to the wheel. As in previous parts of the build they will have you flex the tyre to soften it slightly and then give it a quick scrub with a nail brush to remove any moulding debris. As with the previous two wheels I had nothing come off so a stage that could have been skipped, I guess.

All that is then required is to fit the tyre over the wheel.
Again, you get the centre cap with the wheel so its important to put this away safely as it’s a small part that could be lost before you get chance to use it.
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
Happy Modelling

steele
#24 Posted : 21 May 2019 04:58:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Stage 12--agree, the gold part of the throttle linkage took a surprising amount of (carefully-applied!) force to fully seat---it's easy to get it 90% in, it's the last .5mm that's hard...

Stage 11--After looking at the photos in the instructions very carefully, I don't quite agree with even their "more accurate" version of the plug wiring arrangement---I re-did it to my own thought of how it is, based on the pics. (I believe that each *pair* of wires splits off as they go along, not "one by one, except for the last ones being a pair" like the instructions seem to describe) I looked at just about every pic I could find online, to try to confirm.

I'm expecting my next shipment this week---more interior bits, front tires, front compartment. :)
Markwarren
#25 Posted : 21 May 2019 08:00:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on very nicely, great update.ThumpUp

Mark
birdaj2
#26 Posted : 26 May 2019 15:27:28

PACK 5 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 26th MAY 2019

My Pack 5 arrived yesterday (25/05/19). This time it’s a 3-section set of parts. Its interesting as each pack seems to follow a pattern of 3 sections one month and 4 sections the next.

STAGE 15 – FITTING THE ALTERNATOR BRACKET

PICTURE 1

While not used in this section of the build the parts we receive with this section include the Oil Pan and Transmission Oil Pan along with the RH Alternator bracket which is needed.

PICTURES 2 & 3

Here we fit the RH bracket to the previously assembled alternator. I sat for a moment thinking “Mine does not look like the one in the instructions” only to realise I had built mine back to front (Note to Self “Pay more attention to the instructions)”.

No major issue to re-build as it was just a single screw holding the assemble together

What I have found is that some of the small screws are really a struggle to fully insert into the plastic parts so what I have found works is a quick “splash” of WD40 on the screw as that helps get the thing in place.

And that completes Stage 15.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#27 Posted : 26 May 2019 15:31:34

STAGE 16 – CONTINUING THE ALTERNATOR BRACKET

PICTURE 4

In this section we get the passenger seat, Cylinder Head Spacer and the LH Alternator bracket

In this section there is the detail about adding a clear lacquer to the seats. It suggests that while this stage is optional it will enhance the finished look to the seats.

I do intend to follow this and lacquer the seats but that is a task for another day as its raining here today so not ideal spraying weather.

Also need to disassemble the seats and wash them prior just to make sure there is no oil/finger prints that might affect the varnish layer.

PICTURES 5 & 6

We complete the alternator assemble by fitting the LH bracket.

PICTURES 7 through 10

Left over from the previous pack is this section of the build which involves bundling the high-tension leads, tying them off using the adhesive strips supplied and then trimming the excess from these.

So here we go from “Rats Nest” to something that looks a little neater.

PICTURE 11

The final part of the build in this section is adding the cylinder head spacer. This is just a loose fit so to be honest its probable best left until the next stage of the build and I would store it away safely until then.
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#28 Posted : 26 May 2019 15:37:48

STAGE 17 – ASSEMBLING THE ENGINE BLOCK

PICTURES 12 & 13

In this section we get the left and right engine block parts along with the front wheel and a couple of other small parts required later in the build.

What is worth a mention here is that the three parts are all metal so to avoid transit damage they have packed each of the engine block parts in their own bag and the wheel is protected in a small cardboard box. Nice touch that and shows a bit of though from the maker.

PICTURES 14 & 15

We need the starter from stage 13 and this is fixed to the LH engine block side. While this is putting a screw into a plastic part were the screw is 2.3mm dia I have been using the 2.3mm tap that I have. This makes fitting these screws so much easier.

PICTURE 16

Mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I would have expected this tap to have been included as part of the kit as “tapping out” certain holes on the model get a number of mentions. And in this instance, it’s the 2 holes arrowed in this picture.

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

Here we fit the LH transmission case from stage 13 to the LH engine block side supplied with this section. Having threaded the 2 holes, the screws go in with no problems at all.

PICTURE 20

We then take the exhaust pipe LH side from stage 13 and fit this in place. Its held in place by 2 M2 x 5mm screws and again a “splash” of WD40 helps these to go in much easier.

PICTURE 21

We then repeat the whole process with the right-hand side – fitting transmission case to engine block and then the assembled exhaust pipe sections from stage 13.

Once that is done both halves are screwed together using 3 screws.
At this point the whole assemble is taking on some size as well as weight.

PICTURES 22, 23 & 24

The last part of the build in this section is to press fit the Differential Case Back Plate ensuring that the pin marked by the arrow lines up with the hole also marked with the arrow.

And that completes my STAGE 5 Build.

Just have the seats to lacquer and the exhaust parts to decal which I will look to finish once the weather picks up.
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
Happy Modelling

RM1
#29 Posted : 28 May 2019 08:27:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is coming on very nicely. Plus a really good build diary !!
Malc.
birdaj2
#30 Posted : 28 May 2019 09:10:11

Malc

Many thanks for your comments which are much appreciated.

More or less up to date with this one at the moment as managed to finish the decals on the exhausts which i will most up shortly.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#31 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:28:08

PACK 6 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 30th JUNE 2019

My Pack 6 arrived 28/05/19. This time it’s a 3-section set of parts. My original idea that one month it’s a 4-section pack followed the next month with a 3-section pack is flawed as again this month we receive a further 3 section pack.

CATCH UP FROM PREVIOUS MONTHS

Still outstanding is the “varnishing” of the car seats. Every time I find some rare time to do this the weather is against me. Its either been raining or as today to bleeding hot to move let alone try painting anything.

That said I did finally manage to finish the exhausts and I must say I did not find getting the decals onto those angled pipes at all easy. I think in the end the effect looks ok.

The MR Color spray varnishes I have never used before but following the build instructions to the letter I went with their primer and Gloss top coat. You really need to be careful using these as the spray is not light and fine but comes out like “Water going over the falls”.

PICTURES 1, 2 & 3

These show the exhaust parts having been primed, decaled, varnished and installed.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#32 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:34:42

STAGE 18 – ASSEMBLING THE ENGINE BLOCK (2)

PICTURE 4

The parts included this time are the Centre Console, Centre Console Panel, Footguard, Heating Vents, Ashtray.

All of these are put away and not utilised until section 19.

PICTURE 5

In the guide to this section it is suggested we can add a little bit more life by painting the gaskets on the cylinder heads with black paint. Why this was not called out BEFORE these were installed is a bit of a mystery as it would have been easier at that point.

I do intend to follow the instructions and will get around to paining these parts at some point.

PICTURES 6, 7 & 8

They now have us installing the Alternator to the engine block and while I followed this step, I reversed it later and removed it as it made fitting the cylinder head very difficult, I found.

PICTURE 9

Recover the remaining Belt A from one of the earlier issues. This will be looped over the alternator and the instructions say to hold both that and the cylinder head spacer in place as you match the cylinder head to the engine block.

Over the last month of storage my taped together cables had all part company (Picture 10) so I had to tidy those up first.

Well being human and only having 2 arms and my mate “Olly the Octopus” being otherwise engaged it was something I was struggling with until I removed the alternation and bracket fitted previously.

That allowed everything to go together without any issues.

PICTURES 14, 15 & 16

We now put the Oil Pan into place and 2 screws are used to secure the whole assemble. Its into plastic so make sure the screws are tightened down enough to hold but not too much to strip out the plastic threading.
Once in place we use the 2 “Blanking Plates” as in Picture 15 to cover over these screw holes.

PICTURES 17, 18, 19 & 20

The final part of this section is to fit the oil pan onto the transmission casing.

This is just a press fit but make sure to line up the arrowed pin on both pieces.

Once the alternator fan belt is pulled over the other 2 pulleys and the throttle wire is fed into the hole in the engine block this section is complete.

PICTURE 21.

And here is a picture of the engine so far. It’s a massive thing so much so that it hardly fits inside my picture box.

And that completes Stage 18.
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#33 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:41:21

STAGE 19 – THE CENTRE CONSOLE AND REAR WINDOW

PICTURE 22

In this section we get the Rear Window Panel, Rear Window Pane, C Clip (4 needed but 8 provided so you have spares), Seat Belt Hoops.

PICTURES 23, 24 & 25

We cut the 4 seat belt loops from the sprue and press these into the holes in the rear window panel.

These are then secured from underneath using the 4 C clips. These have a tendency to want to “Fly off” at all angles so just as well 4 spares are provided with this section.

PICTURES 26 & 27

We then drop the rear window into position and secure this with 2 screws.

PICTURES 28, 29 & 30

We now start work on the central console using the parts supplied in stage 18.

The first part is to remove the 4 air vents from their sprue. These are then press fitted as 2 in the console tunnel and 2 on the console panel. The parts are keyed being a “D” shape so they will only fit one way. And that fit is good with no indication glue is required.

PICTURES 31, 32 & 33

We now fit the astray which is again a press fit. The back of this part has triangular fixing tabs so be aware of the instructions and fit this the correct way by having the triangular posts at the bottom.

Next is the Footguard which is a very shiny metal foil style sticker. Nice touch is the film cover to stop this part getting marked.

And the last part of this stage is to press fit the centre console panel into the console tunnel. It gets secured in the next stage.
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
32..JPG
33..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#34 Posted : 30 June 2019 09:45:38

STAGE 20 – THE COCKPIT FLOOR

This time we get a very large part in the shape of the cockpit floor, the hand brake and a footrest.

PICTURE 34

The cockpit floor has a flocking material to give the impression of carpet so great care needed when working with this part not to damage or mark this in any way.

PICTURE 35

And its at this point we secure the centre console to the console tunnel with a single screw. Plastic again so care when tightening the screw so as not to strip out the hole.

PICTURES 36 & 37

The instructions (picture 37) make a big play on the fact you may have fit issues with the console tunnel onto the cockpit floor and it provides great detail on how to ensure this does not happen and if it does, how to correct it.

Mine went together with no problems.

PICTURES 38 & 39

And we complete this stage by pressing the hand brake into its location and peel the foot rest material off its backing sheet and stick it into place.

So, until the next shipment that completes Pack 6.
34..JPG
35..JPG
36..JPG
37..JPG
38..JPG
39..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#35 Posted : 27 July 2019 18:27:30

PACK 7 - LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH LP 500S – 27th JULY 2019

My Pack 7 arrived this morning. This time it’s a 4-section set of parts.

CATCH UP FROM PREVIOUS MONTHS

Still outstanding is the “varnishing” of the car seats.
Need to get these sorted as it is soon, we fit the seat belts to these. I have another week’s work then a week off so plan to get them sorted out then.

STAGE 21 – THE WINDOW SIDE SILLS AND REAR WINDOW

PICTURE 1

The parts included this time are the Left Side Sill and Right-Side Sill.

PICTURES 2 & 3

We also need to pull out the cockpit floor from last time as well as 4 x M2.3 x 6mm Self tapping screws and 2 x M2.6 x 6mm self-tapping screws.

PICTURES 4, 5 & 6

We now start with the left hand window sill and working from the rear press all of the tabs into place

Once in place we secure from underneath with 2 x m2.3 x 6mm self tapping screws. Again, this is fitting screws into a plastic part so ensure you tighten them just enough to hold and no more.

We then repeat exactly the same with the right-hand sill.

PICTURE 6

And once in place (sills indicated by the arrows) this is what the installation looks like.

PICTURES 7 & 8

The last part of this stage is to install the rear window that we constructed in an earlier stage.

Pack sure this is pressed into place and secure from underneath with 2 x M2.6 x 6mm self-tapping screws.

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#36 Posted : 27 July 2019 18:31:28

STAGE 22 – THE FRONT TYRE

The part included this time is the front tyre.

PICTURES 9 & 10

We remove the foam liner from the tyre, and then having brushed the tyre to remove any manufacturing debris (again none on mine) we flex the tyre to soften the rubber.

PICTURES 11 & 12

We need the wheel from stage 17 and having put the foam liner back into the tyre we fit the rubber tyre to the wheel.

The completed wheel is now stored away (along with the centre cap) safely until near completion of the build at which time the wheels get installed.

FIXINGS

PICTURE 13

In this month build guide we get a full-page screw guide that details which particular screws arrive with each section. It details how many are used at each stage and how many are left spare.

Now I have been rather lax here and never labelled my screws so now I am “confused”. Mainly because I have more spares of certain sizes at this point than the chart indicates I should have.

NOTE TO SELF: From no on make sure you label up the bags of screws as they arrive

9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#37 Posted : 27 July 2019 18:34:06

STAGE 23 - THE FRONT COMPARTMENT

PICTURES 14 & 15

The parts included this time are Font Compartment, Belt Stoppers x 2, Bonnet (Hood) Lock, A/C Dryer Filter.

PICTURE 16

First part is to press fit the Bonnet (Hood) lock into place.

PICTURE 17

We now take the A/C Dryer Filter and noting the key (D shape) press fit this into the front compartment. Quite a tight working area so a pair of tweezers may help get this part into place.

14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#38 Posted : 27 July 2019 18:37:06

STAGE 24 – THE SPARE TYRE

PICTURE 18

The parts included this time are Spare Tyre, Spare Wheel, Spare Tyre Cover, M2.3 x 6mm Self Tapping Screws x 2

PICTURE 19

With this tyre there is no foam liner so all we need to do is press the wheel into the tyre and ensure its all correctly seated.

PICTURES 20, 21, 22

We then need to fit the tyre cover into the wheel and when doing this we need to ensure the tab in the wheel and the slot on the cover line up when pressing the 2 parts together.

PICTURE 23

And the very last part of this stage is to place the wheel into the front compartment. Store this away safely until its needed again in a future build section.

So, until the next shipment that completes Pack 7.
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#39 Posted : 27 July 2019 18:43:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice Tony, you've been very busy. That does look a great kit and you are doing a stunning job on her.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark
birdaj2
#40 Posted : 27 July 2019 19:02:11

Mark

Many thanks.

Quicker build this month around but must say the quality of the parts supplied to date are very good indeed.

I think out ofeverything i am doing at the moment i would put this as my favourite.

Tony

Happy Modelling