Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

External Power for the Millennium Falcon Options
birddust
#1 Posted : 09 June 2019 07:32:48

Groups: Registered

I've just finished building the Millennium Falcon. I purchased the Mains Power Adaptor, but I can't find the instructions on how it can be used on the Falcon, instead of using batteries. Did I miss something in the instruction booklets? Can I find instructions on how to install the external power hookup on line?
S4Simon
#2 Posted : 09 June 2019 07:55:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You just need to plug it into the power adapter socket on the under side.

The onboard computer can switch between the battery pack and external power.

Should be as simple as my pic... Hopefully.

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
birddust
#3 Posted : 09 June 2019 08:55:48

Thank you for showing me where the socket is located. I actually finished 98% of the model, then had to put it aside for over a year. I completely forgot the location of the socket. The rubber cap did a good job of making it blend into the black battle scars. I feel rather stupid to have forgotten the location. Your photo is very much appreciated.
S4Simon
#4 Posted : 09 June 2019 14:23:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That’s what we’re all here for. :-)

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
tschwand
#5 Posted : 10 June 2019 03:38:35

birddust. Don't know where you are located, but some of the adaptors sold in the states have the polarities reversed. Make sure your adaptor has a positive on the center and not on the outer ring. The symbol on the adaptor should look like +o)- and not -o)+. If you know what I mean.
birddust
#6 Posted : 10 June 2019 04:07:15

I wish I could say that I know what you mean, but I don't. I'm in California USA. I'm using a microscope, but can't see anywhere on the plug that says + or - 0. Can you give me anymore information? I would sure hate to mess up my Falcon because of this. My close up vision sucks after cataract surgery, so I could very well be missing the signs. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
S4Simon
#7 Posted : 10 June 2019 08:19:45

Polarity picture usually found on the plug pack body.

Bottom right pic shows the plus / minus symbols and how they relate to the actual plug tip. Pic shows (-) negative as the outer silver portion and (+) positive as the inner silver tunnel.

I'm using a slightly higher current rating for my Falcon due to having installed extra lighting.

Most power pack plugs these days are reversible - as in you can actually pull the tip off and reverse it so that the voltage / polarity is reversed. I always check the polarity with a multimeter, but I'm just over cautious.

birddust
#8 Posted : 10 June 2019 09:23:36

The photo is very helpful. The symbols on my adaptor are reversed, with the positive + on the left, and the negative - on the right. Is that correct for the US?
S4Simon
#9 Posted : 10 June 2019 10:42:38

The negative side should be the outer part with the positive on the inner.

Most new power packs come with removable / reversible tips (Pictured above). Then its just a matter of pulling off the tip and spinning it 180 and putting back in - Problem solved.

If not you would have to purchase a 9 volt 1 amp power pack with the correct polarity.

Its always good to check with a meter just to verify the correct polarity.

birddust
#10 Posted : 10 June 2019 11:13:37

Unfortunately, the one I have doesn't have a removable tip. I think I'll first try to get the correct one from Model Space, before I purchase another one. You've been very helpful. Your photos make your explanations clear. Thank you!
tschwand
#11 Posted : 11 June 2019 03:51:03

birddust. sorry my little drawing wasn't helpful enough. I had the same problem with the adaptor from ModelSpace. Bought this one off Amazon for $17. Just picked out the correct plug, asjusted to the right voltage and it works great. Hope this helps. https://www.amazon.com/g...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
birddust
#12 Posted : 11 June 2019 04:03:52

Everything you posted was helpful. I now know what those little symbols on the adaptor are for...LOL. I think I'll take your suggestion, and purchase one from Amazon. Thanks for the link. I'll let you know when I have everything working!