Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<151617
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
johncal
#321 Posted : 10 February 2019 02:14:52

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I'm hearing crickets here. Does anybody have any updates on their builds?
johncal
#322 Posted : 11 June 2019 00:07:00

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

CALLING ALL BUILDERS - What happened to all of you. I just went back and read thru my build logs yesterday and there were a lot of you working on this ship, then everybody fell off the face of the earth.

Did you guys all quit your builds? Are you still working on them? What's going on. I can't believe all that enthusiasm just fizzled out. So tell us all what you're up to. It would be great to see your progress.

This is a fantastic and challenging model, but I'd hate to think everybody gave up on it. Let's here from you!
jase
#323 Posted : 11 June 2019 06:31:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its not just the Suprise builds its all of t hem, the Royal yatch has no builders
Its not just modelspace its all forums seem to be in decline

I can tell you why I stopped posting on all forums what I am building

1 spending time amending photos, writing whats being done and then posting was using up half my available model building time, I prefer to build thsn post

2 with fewer people posting on forums the intrest was waining, i got fewer responces on somm topics than I would get on a single post 9 years ago, a lot of effort for no meaningful discussion

3 on modelspace especialy the poor forum structure that is always promised to be improved but never has been got to frustrighting spending time constantly refreshing just to see a picture.

As for the future, I dont see it picking up on newer builds as DeAg keep upping the cost. Take the Royal yatch less of a ship than the HMS Victory but twice the price. Why? Because despite a big increase in sales during 2017 ( 2018 accounts not yet published) DeAg uk made a huge loss because of development costs and the hit and miss nature of partworks. I fancy the royal yatch but not likly to buy into it at that cost, and the kit looks like it needs a fair bit of work to make it look ok

Dosent mean I am not building models, I have 4 ships and a plane on the go

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#324 Posted : 11 June 2019 11:28:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi there John

Just looked back through some of your earlier post and really like that table of goals for planning and building your model.

I am still "tinkering" with some of the bolt together deagostini kits and have tried to contribute to the forum with my contach and harley build. Because i am doing these as per the build instructions with no scratch building i am not sure if there is a great deal of interest as i am just really replicating the official builds that have gone before.

Posted a couple of tool reviews and have a few more to do but still need to do a little write up on those.

What is really sad to see is that with over 8000 members its rare to see any new names adding anything in terms of a build or even some discussion.

One of the things i do find difficult is having to resize all of my pictures. Cannot find a setting on my camera to do this so once i have the pictures i have to put the card in the pc and then resize everything in paint. There might be better ways of doing things but if there are they are beyond my knowledge :-)

I will continue to post my 2 builds as and when i get parts coming through. Have a couple of other things (plastic) on the go but they tend to be rather start/stop projects as and when time allows. They have probable progressed too far now to really form any interesting build diary.

It is interesting on how things seem to be heading with deagostini. I tune into a youtube vlogger who has just started the x-wing build and he seems confused by the fact that there has been no big push here in the UK to say its available and he said that while he is getting parts for his subscription they are shipping from Italy.

Kind tegards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#325 Posted : 11 June 2019 13:03:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

My Surprise is sat waiting to be finished. I'm having a time looking a the rigging. I got the Diana book to help me with it as the prototype Jotika version used this book to rig theirs up.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Matelot one
#326 Posted : 12 June 2019 21:33:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I have been away with work, and recently my wife passed away. I will get back into it again soon.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

birdaj2
#327 Posted : 12 June 2019 21:54:57

Matelot one wrote:
I have been away with work, and recently my wife passed away. I will get back into it again soon.

Rob

So very sorry to hear your news.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
johncal
#328 Posted : 14 June 2019 02:58:49

Guys,

I really appreciate everyone’s responses. We’re all very sorry about Rob’s loss but glad we can be here to offer our prayers and support. It’s nice to stay in touch and see where everyone’s at. If you ever need any help or just want to chat, I’m just one PM away.

John
johncal
#329 Posted : 29 November 2020 03:52:48

Hey Guys,

It's been a LONG while since I said hello. Anything new going on?
birdaj2
#330 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:50:19

Hi John

Hope all is well with you.

Struggling on with many of life's issues myself at the moment I am sorry to say.

In terms of building I am building the Hachette Spitfire, "collecting" the Hachette Bismarck in the hope I will find time at some point to actually build it.

In the Deagostini front I have 2 packs to complete the Lambourgini and although the Harley should be complete now I am awaiting 1 pack that seems to be out of stock at the moment.

Not really been tempted by any of the recent offerings from the various companies.

How about you? are you building anything at the moment?

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

Matelot one
#331 Posted : 26 August 2021 17:58:20

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello,I've been a Long time away, but need to get back into this. I am due to leave the Navy very soon, so will have time on my hands! I will get to finish her!Laugh
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

birdaj2
#332 Posted : 27 August 2021 05:26:47

John

Hope you are keeping well and look forward to seeing more of your lovely build

Tony
Happy Modelling