Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing Options
Kev the Modeller
#21 Posted : 15 June 2019 20:37:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

arpurchase wrote:
The cost of licencing may have killed this one off as it never went further than the web page. The only decent kit out there of the car right now is the 1/24 scale one from Tamiya, link below-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...e22a:g:LMoAAOSwpDdVHUwp

On the small size for some modeler's but also check around as prices can vary a lot by £10 or more. There is also a Hobby design etch set for the above but it takes some searching to find lately. Also note the box art if it is not the same as in the link its one the older versions that had build issues.

Andy

I have this kit Andy, it is a superb little kit with some amazing detail right down to even having a tubular 'spaceframe' beneath the bodywork, which shows great attention to detail (as always) by Tamiya, even if very little of the frame can be seen once the bodywork and floorpan are fitted unless you opt to leave the clear plastic floorpan unpainted in order to see all of the detail? Which I wouldn't!

I have been occasionally building this kit on and off in the background over the last few months to serve as a break from other projects, but with the intention of just posting it up in the gallery when finished?

I'll show where I'm up to currently just to illustrate what a brilliant kit it is - despite only being 1:24 scale! Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Kev the Modeller attached the following image(s):
DSCF1898.JPG
DSCF1899.JPG
DSCF1900.JPG
DSCF1903.JPG
DSCF1910.JPG
DSCF1911.JPG
DSCF1913.JPG
DSCF1918.JPG
DSCF1914.JPG
DSCF1916.JPG
DSCF1915.JPG
Per Ardua Ad Astra
arpurchase
#22 Posted : 15 June 2019 22:27:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Kev

Now that's looking sweet and coming together nicely. The Frame as you say is a work of art are you intending to strip the chrome parts and Molotow them or is it an out of the box build.

I too have recently bought this kit and agree its packed with detail for its size. Zero paints also do a dedicated silver for the kit. I also managed to track down the Hobby design etch upgrade set which is also hard to find now-

https://www.scalemates.c...il-parts-tamiya--958580

There was also a Acu Stion full trans kit with white metal parts and replacement suspension but that's long been sold out-

https://hlj.com/1-24-sca...l-full-transkit-acs9914

If you would like to see the real thing the Mercedes Dealership on the old Brooklands track next to the Museum has a pristine example as you walk in through the main entranceDrool Drool Drool

AndyCool

Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#23 Posted : 16 June 2019 09:56:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking superb Kev, very nice kit.Love

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#24 Posted : 16 June 2019 13:39:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi Kev

…. are you intending to strip the chrome parts and Molotow them or is it an out of the box build.

…. Zero paints also do a dedicated silver for the kit ….

AndyCool

Hi Andy,

I am building the kit almost completely out of the box, not added any detail other than some tyre valve stems (have added a photo of this in the above post of mine) mainly because the kit is that good it doesn't need anything adding? I am not stripping the chrome, just touching up any seams/sprue attachment points with Molotow liquid chrome? I have the Zero paints dedicated silver for this kit, photo below:

Kev the Modeller attached the following image(s):
DSCF1920.JPG
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Kev the Modeller
#25 Posted : 16 June 2019 13:41:56

Markwarren wrote:
Looking superb Kev, very nice kit.Love

Mark

Thanks for your kind comments Mark, greatly appreciated as always and yes, it is a lovely kit. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra