Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

RF's Senna MP4 Build Options
rjfk2002
#1 Posted : 20 June 2019 03:21:02

Groups: Registered

I plan to share some of my progress on my MP4-4 build over the coming weeks. In addition to the base kit I plan to add some extra details - bolts, metal braided lines, tobacco decals, etc. I have learned a lot by reading many of the other great builds on the forum and want to give back. Stay tuned...

Rich
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 20 June 2019 07:52:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Blink Hi Rich, we look forward to seeing your progress ThumpUp
Those mods look interesting and should enhance a great kits
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 20 June 2019 08:18:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Look forward to it.
I've been tempted by this kit for quite a while myself.

Roy.
rjfk2002
#4 Posted : 21 June 2019 03:32:03

Brakes

I decided to drill out the bolts and add the safety wires to the brakes. Through trial and error, I learned the best way to assemble is to glue the brake halves together and drill through both parts. I then added the bolts and finally twisted the wire around them. I normally get my scale bolts from Model Motorcars but they didn’t have the right size so these came from Knupfer. They are 1.4mm x 6mm and fit perfectly – no need to cut them down. The wire is 28-gauge craft wire that I found on Amazon. I wrapped it around by hand and used a screw driver to straighten and tuck the ends under the bolt head. The braided wire and fittings are from Pro Tech and the brake bleeders from RB Motion. I have thought about replacing the brake lines on the back (not pictured) with braided lines and banjo fittings but ended up preferring the kit pieces. I’m debating adding temperature decals to the calipers.
rjfk2002 attached the following image(s):
IMG_5115.jpg
RM1
#5 Posted : 25 June 2019 08:10:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Off to a great start there Rich. Look forward to seeing how this one progresses.
Malc.
rjfk2002
#6 Posted : 26 June 2019 02:55:58

Thanks gents for following along. I am pretty far along in the build and will back fill updates until I catch up. I plan to share thoughts and some lessons learned until I get current. Hopefully some of this info is helpful to other builders

Braided Lines

The kit is really quite nice out of the box with lots of great details. One area where I think they could have improved on is the braided line. The kit line is made out of woven fabric and doesn't look as good as a real metal braided line. After poking around some hobby sites I found two different brands of line - Detail Master and Pro Tech. Detail Master is a solid line made of twisted strands. It is meant to be attached to either a peg or one of DM's fittings. Pro Tech is a copper core with a rubber insulation layer and woven metal sheave on top. The Pro Tech line is compatible with RB Motion's fittings (just cut off the metal sheave first) but it didn't seem to work with DM's hardware. I also had trouble getting RB's fittings to work with DM's line. I experimented with both and found I preferred Pro Tech's line. While the DM line was advertised as being able to attach to a peg, I found that the MP4 pegs were too large and caused the line to bunch at the end. It looked better to cut the peg off (or replace with a RB fitting in some cases), drill a hole and insert the stripped end of the Pro Tech line. I will share some pics of the lines on the gearbox soon.