Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A Recent Ebay Purchase - Eduard FW-190 Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 25 May 2019 17:57:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Eduard 1:48 FW-190 A-6 & FW-190 A-8/R2 eBay Purchase

I recently purchased one of the Ammo Mig Solution Boxes that allows you to build and fully weather late war German Aircraft.

PICTURES 2, 3 & 4

Not wanting to spend a fortune on a brand-new kit that chances are will beat me I thought I would have a look through eBay and see what I could pick up “on the cheap” 😊

I was really pleased to find an “Immaculate Like New Listing” for 2 aircraft now out of production (in the formats I purchased) and managed to win these.

When they arrived The FW-190 A-6 was indeed in perfect un-started condition but not so with the FW-190 A-8/R2. That had seen the cockpit made up and painted (and parts since broken) and all of the frames (while still intact) had all been primed.

It is one of the issues you do sometimes find when buying second hand from eBay but I have never really had any major issues and in this instance the seller offered me the option of returning both kits for a full refund or a £10 partial refund.

So, I took the £10 refund as I had to hand an Eduard “BigSin” “FW-190A-8/R2 Essential set so in terms of the cockpit area that can be fully replaced using these parts.

The priming on the rest of the kit is not great so I am waiting for what might be an ideal paint stripper if the video and writeup is anything to go by. I will update on that and what its like to use once I get my hands on it.

PICTURE 1

The Eduard set comes well packed in quick a large box

PICTURES 5 THROUGH 12

In the set we get the full resin replacement cockpit set which also includes etched set, canopy masks and decals (Picture 9)

We also get metal replacement undercarriage legs (listed as being Bronze which is unusual if indeed that is the metal these are made from).

Replacement wheels and a set of etched landing flaps.

Little way off starting this but the intention is to use this kit as the basis for the Ammo Mig Solution Box set to see what I can achieve with this.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
1..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 25 May 2019 18:13:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice kit, look forward to seeing you get to work on this.

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#3 Posted : 05 July 2019 21:06:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Just noticed this Tony, looks a fantastic kit which I'm sure will build into a lovely model. Look forward to seeing it come together, great choice! ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
magpie1832
#4 Posted : 07 July 2019 12:45:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice kit Tony. Take your time on this one and try and read a few reviews etc on this as there are a couple of areas that would help in the construction if you know the kit problems before hand.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

birdaj2
#5 Posted : 07 July 2019 14:30:14

Kev/chris

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated.

I am on a weeks leave this week and want to make a start but suffering at the moment (last 2 months with back problems) making any sitting time just about impossible.

I managed to get my paint remover from VMS but having watched a recent youtube video thinking DETTOL might have been a better option.

While this kit has been primed and somthing if done well could have been worked on, some of the parts have been flooded so need to get the primer off.

The cockpit is beyond revovery but managed to get a replacement Eduard "bigsin" replacement.

What i intend to do is build this using the ammo mig solutions box and follow the book to see just how that works.

Hoping there might be some interest on the forum (even if it receives no comments which i really do not mind) in the hope that some of the many members you never hear from may find my "amaturish" build gives some inspiration, and with hope msybe a new contributor.

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 07 July 2019 16:51:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Great pick up Tony.I will be watching this build for sure.Over here we use oven cleaner to strip paint.It works great and doesnt harm the plastic.The product is called "easy off" .Not sure what the actual ingredients are.I have seen mixed results with Dettol.Sometimes it removes the paint and sometimes it doesnt touch it.

Carl

PS I used lacquer thinner once on a Tamiya car and left it overnight.When I rechecked in in the morning there was a big blob of melted plastic instead of a car!! So dont use lacquer thinner !!!!!!
Gandale
#7 Posted : 07 July 2019 23:11:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I feel sure you'll do a great job with this Tony and I for one will certainly be following your progress..... Good luck with the build....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan