Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Tony's "Fat Boy" Build Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 06 May 2019 20:01:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

OVERVIEW

While the end result (in my opinion) makes into a very nice display motorcycle this is in no way a rapid build. I am now at Pack 6 and so far, I have more individual parts stored “For use in later parts of the build” than I have actually assembled so far.

I don’t have any major issues with this because the way to look at it really is to remember that all of the parts that are being “collected” will eventually all be called out in future instructions for assemble. You just need to ensure you keep then safe and sound so they do not get damaged before you get chance to use them.

Until now I have not been inclined to post any updates on this one or my other builds mainly because they will follow the instructions and will not be enhanced in any way. In part this is because my knowledge of motor vehicles is (I would say) non-existent so knowing if an engine bay is missing a certain “Doings” would go right over my head.

However, with, what I see, as a recent downturn in the modelspace forum and someone posting a note basically saying “contribute or loose it” I will try and do my bit and post updates on this one as and when I get the instalments through.

Its interesting when you look through the list of registered users of the site and look at the number of posts that are contributed. While this build diary might be mundane to the more “seasoned” members on here, maybe – just maybe – it will prove of some interest to newer members that are registered but have never contributed even a single post.

All I can do is try in the hope that it might spark an interest for some new users to contribute something.

As a final point I would just like to mention for anyone that decides to comment on my diary I will say in Advance “A VERY BIG THANK YOU” for doing so. What I will try and get away from are the constant “thank you” replies to each and every comment (if I am lucky enough to get any 😊) that have become the norm.

If anyone does ask a question then I will do my best to answer those but hope that viewers will not be offended by my change of tact.

I would rather see my updates appearing on the recent postings list because there is a new update from me rather than it appearing because I have acknowledged a comment left for me.

Hope that does not sound “rude” but hopefully you can see what I am getting at.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 06 May 2019 20:06:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MONDAY 06th MAY 2019 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

THE BUILD

I took delivery of Pack 6 at the weekend.

PICTURE 1

A significant number of parts have been built up so far with instructions “to store these away safely until they are required in the build”

PICTURES 2 & 3

This shows the delivery I received as PACK 6. In this mailing I received the 3 packs shown plus the instructions guide.

PICTURES 4, 5, 6 & 7

Each Mailing contains a booklet as can be seen here. It seems to follow a regular pattern of covering off bits of Harley Davidson history and a review of different bikes they have produced over the years.

The build instructions are very good in terms of the size of the pictures and the text. Nicely detailed and easy to follows.

PICTURES 8 & 9

In the last mailing we receive a screwdriver to aide the assemble of the model. To be honest this is a very decent screwdriver – good hardened blade so little chance of it getting “chewed up” when fitting the various screws.

PICTURE 10

One of the other things you get in the earlier mailings is this sealed screw identification pack. Where the screws supplied in some other builds (The Jaguar or Porsche for instance) are in labelled bags in this kit they are not so the identification pack does have a use.

PICTURES 11, 12, & 13

This time we get to assemble the fuel tank. Nothing to taxing as all you need to do is align the two fuel tank halves and fix together with the 2 screws that are called out in the instructions.

PICTURES 14, 15 & 16

We also get to work on the fuel tank mounted centre console in this pack. This component has a rotary switch that will be used to operate some of the working features of this model.

PICTURE 17

One thing I will be keeping an eye on is the fact that the circuit board in this part is labelled from A through E but it appears a pin prevents you from selecting the A and B setting. I presume this is intentional but should it need any changes this part will eventually be screwed onto the fuel tank so as easy as it is to fit it will be just as easy to remove should a Modification be required.

PICTURE 18

In the last mailing I made up the speedometer.

PICTURES 19 & 20

In this pack they have us fixing the speedometer into the console. It’s a press fit using 2 pins on the dial into 2 matching holes on the console. Mine was quite a tight fit (I guess intentional as its not glued or screwed) so care is needed not to apply pressure to the face of the “Glass” in case you end up cracking that part.

PICTURES 21 & 22

In previous packs we have been building the handle bars and this is what they look like so far.

PICTURE 23

One slight concern I have with the handle bar assemble is with this heat shrink that has been applied over one set of wires. To my eye it looks a lot shorter that the other side of the handle bars and as a consequence the red and yellow wires are more exposed.

Not and issue if this ends up buried under some other component part but will be an issue for me if its left exposed.

I do have a range of heat shrink tubing on hand from my electronics tinkering so if needs be, I think I can disassemble the plug so I can install a longer length of heat shrink tubing – just hoping that will not be necessary.

And that completes everything in this months PACK 6

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 07 May 2019 08:01:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Tony and very well laid out. Looking forward to your next update.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
Gandale
#4 Posted : 07 May 2019 08:40:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you taking this one on Tony and looks like you're off to a very nice start and I look forward to following your diary to a conclusion.Cool Cool … All contributions to the forum are a welcome sight and from what I'm seeing it looks as if the forum is picking up slowly in terms of members posting, long may that continue.... Without contributions, regardless how small then I fear the forum will simply come to an end.... Good luck with your build....

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 01 June 2019 20:57:36

Mark/Alan

Many thanks for your comments on my build

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#6 Posted : 01 June 2019 21:02:22

SATURDAY 01st JUNE 2019 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 7

STAGE 21 – FIXING THE INSTRUMENT PANEL

PICTURE 1

This is one of those “Don’t Blink or you will miss it moments”. The box has 3 sections plus the instruction book.

PICTURES 2 & 3

In this section we get the AAA battery box and a new screwdriver. The screwdriver I must admit is a nice piece of kit and certainly an improvement on some of the other “cheap” versions you get in some other part builds.

It even carries the Harley Davidson Logo on the butt end of the handle – very nice touch

PICTURES 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8

We now start playing “Search through previous sections” to find some of the parts we need.

In this case we have to return to Stage 20 to pull out the 2 “T” type screws that were supplied. We also need the fuel tank, the instrument panel and from Stage 16, the 2 fuel caps.

Nothing too taxing here as its just a case of sitting the instrument panel on top of the fuel tank. Make sure the holes align and then using the 2 “T” type screws fix the instrument panel in place.

The screws are going into plastic here so just make sure to tighten them enough for the part to hold but don’t go in heavy handed and over tighten the screws.

Picture 6 shows the inside of the fuel tank once the 2 arrowed screws are in place.

We then press the 2 fuel caps into place and that is this section complete.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#7 Posted : 01 June 2019 21:08:43

STAGE 22 – THE ENGINE VENTILATION PIPE

Bit of frustration with this section and here is the reason why

PICTURE 9

In this section we get the Right Swingarm and “TWO” Repeat “TWO” type “C” screws

PICTURE 10

Now I was never any good at Math but unless my eyes are deceiving me it looks like just “ONE” type “C” screw in this bag.

Unlike other screw together part works in this Harley build we get exact numbers of screws so no spare. Here I have 2 options either phone customer services on Monday or break into the “SCREW INDENTIFICATION PACK” and rob a screw from there.

PICTURE 11

Anyhow for this section we put the single screw and the Right Swingarm away for use in a later section.

PICTURE 12

For this part of the build they want us to pull out the right half engine crankcase from “STAGE 7”, a single “F” type screw from “STAGE 10”, and the Engine Ventilation Pipe (which gets called the “Exhaust Pipe” in the parts call out) from “STAGE 12”.

PICTURE 13 & 14

And here we have an error in the build instructions. If you look at picture 13, they have an instruction saying “Take the engine ventilation pipe and the right half of the engine crankcase. Align the holes in the end of the ventilation pipe with the holes in the crankcase, as shown”.
Well were the arrows are pointing are not the holes we need to use for this part.

PICTURES 15 & 16

Here I have arrowed the correct location points for the ventilation pipe. This pipe is made of plastic so care in storing this is important so that it does not get broken.
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 01 June 2019 21:14:00

STAGE 23 – THE FRONT WHEEL MOUNT AND HUB

PICTURE 17

In this section we get the Front Brake Disc Mount, Front Wheel Hub Inner, Front Wheel Hub Outer and 2 type “F” screws
We are also told to dig out the Brake Disc from “STAGE 4”.

PICTURE 18

The screws are not called out in this section but it looks to me at some later point we will fit 2 screws where I have arrowed in the picture but what is interesting is that when this part is pressed into to Brake Disc the screw holes are not accessible.

PICTURE 19

So rather than press the brake disc mount too firmly into the brake disc I have only lightly put it in place.

The front wheel hub Inner and Outer just slot together again with nothing to hold them together at this stage so care with these two parts that they do not end up falling apart and getting damaged.

And that is all they have use do in STAGE 7 of the build.

Frustrated by the missing screw and surprised really that the fixing points for the ventilation pipe were not picked up as incorrect before the instructions were printed – but there you go.

Another slight niggle is "Why on earth do they supply screws (which are not labelled – but you can use the screw identification pack they give you) at the point they are needed rather than having you back track through previously supplied parts looking for them?"

With this build you need to exercise some discipline and not go “mad” opening every bag until its needed else you will lose some of these small parts and in particular the screws.

17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#9 Posted : 02 June 2019 08:18:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Another great looking update Tony, making good progress with her.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 02 June 2019 09:10:58

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coming on great Tony. Looking very good.Love Love

Mark
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 02 June 2019 09:24:11

Mark/Alan

Many thanks again.

Its a bit of a slow build in that so far its been collecting parts rather than assembling them but i am not too worried by that as the final result will be worth the wait.

Tony
Happy Modelling

mogwai
#12 Posted : 02 June 2019 17:27:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi coming on well ,looks a great kit,cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
birdaj2
#13 Posted : 08 July 2019 16:02:42

MONDAY 08th JULY 2019 - HARLEY DAVIDSON FLSTF “FAT BOY”

PACK 8

This is one of those “Don’t Blink or you will miss it moments”. The box has 4 sections plus the instruction book.

STAGE 24 – THE TRANSMISSION CASE

PICTURE 1

This is a “real Chrome finish” piece and very nicely done as well. I was a bit concerned it might be damaged before I got it open but just turned out to be some oil marks that rubbed off without issue.

At this stage this part is put away for use at a later stage.

1..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 08 July 2019 16:05:18

STAGE 25 – LEFT SIDE OF THE SWINGARM

PICTURE 2

In this section we get the Left Swingarm and 2 type C screws.

These parts are not used and the instructions say to store these safely away until needed in a future stage.
2..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#15 Posted : 08 July 2019 16:07:02

STAGE 26 – THE DRIVE WHEEL AND THE DEFLECTOR

PICTURES 3 & 4

In this section we get the Drive Wheel which will eventually be mounted to the rear wheel.

We also get the deflector plate which protects the engine.

Both of these parts are plastic.

3..JPG
4..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 08 July 2019 16:10:30

STAGE 27 – OUTER COVERS FOR THE TRANSMISSION CASE

PICTURE 5

In this section we get the Rear Brake Disc. This is a plastic part.

The part is not used at this point so is another item to “Store away safely until required”.

PICTURE 6

Here we have the Front Outer Cover for the Transmission Case as well as the Rear Outer Cover for the Transmission Case.

We also need the “F” type screw supplied in this section.

PICTURES 7 & 8

We line up the 2 pins on the Rear Outer Cover with the holes in the Transmission Case and then fix this part from the back using the “F” type screw.

PICTURES 9 & 10

We now take the Front Outer Cover and press fit this over the 4 pins in the Transmission Case.

Picture 10 shows both parts in place and all we then need to do is store this part safely away until its required again in some later section.
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#17 Posted : 08 July 2019 16:13:25

EXTRAS

PICTURES 11 & 12

With this pack I also received a free gift I had not expected in the shape of a Laptop carry bag. Presuming that is what it is based on the inside of the bag having an insert for pens etc.

Its rather a nicely made bag even down to having some little extras like a location for running a set of headphones from inside the case to the outside.

And that is all they have use do in PACK 8 of the build.

11..JPG
12..JPG
Happy Modelling

Kev the Modeller
#18 Posted : 08 July 2019 20:16:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking great so far Tony and a nice tidy build, well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 08 July 2019 21:02:52

Nicely done Tony, all looking good.Love Drool

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#20 Posted : 08 July 2019 21:19:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nicely detailed build Tony ThumpUp Well done so far and keep it coming

Cheers Gray