Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A final comment about building the Vasa model Options
Per Ca
#1 Posted : 17 March 2019 13:09:20

Groups: Registered

I have completed the hull, and are very active at fitting all sculptures and other small details. This is very satisfying, seeing the ship getting closer and closer to the final result. I have earlier made some comments in my "diary", and most of it I think still is valid. But as I have been frequently told, it is up to each builder to make the adjustment the wish. So no need to informyou of my later activities.
But I would like to give a couple of hints:
Stage 124: The parts C123 and C139 (picture 23 and 24) should change places, since the men's faces should look inwards the beakhead, not outwards. This is well documented in books and pictures.
Stage 137: The decription of assembling cannonball boxes is not correct. Check the measures before cutting! In picture 7 the box bottom has measures 6x10 mm. In picture 8 the side parts are 6 and 10 mm in lenght, which will result in no "corners". One of the lengths should be increased with 2 mm, like 6 and 12 mm.
Cannons C2: I have had very strong opinions about this part, but with further research I have found that this is a "stormstycke" (assault piece) for use at closer range. Probably a 42-pounder. These are mentioned in some manifests, but were maybe not delivered to the ship in time for her first and last voyage. They were supposed to be placed on the main deck, and the 24-pounder cannons were only on the lower deck.
Since I will be involved in rigging the ship for a considerable time (since I know very little about ancient rigging), This will be my last entry here. In the future I will only stude other builders and maybe envy their building and painting skills.
Best of luck to all Vasa enthusiasts!
Per Ca
#2 Posted : 15 July 2019 10:13:50

Groups: Registered

Finish comment.. no, I have to correct myself. I made a mistake about the instructions for the cannonball crates in stage 137. The measures are not wrong at all, I missed that picture 10 showed the short sides on top of the bottom part, not glued to the bottom side, and that they should be sanded down. Sorry if I mislead anyone.
My work with the model had paused during the summer, but now I am on it again. Mast and rigging, and some final touches.

Does anyone know if there exists any finished Vasa models from deAgostine / EditionsAtlas somewhere? I have searched for pictures but found none, and at least some EdAtl models could be complete.
Per C