Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Vasa - Painting below the hull waterline Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 04 April 2018 14:53:28

Groups:

The evidence thus far..

The only coating below the hull waterline which is still visible to the naked eye is tar, but this does not mean that there was not originally something else.

One of the few colour images of Swedish warships of this period, (a watercolour from 1626 showing Swedish ships in the harbour), shows all of the Swedish warships with white hull bottoms.
If this is accurate, it suggests that the hull bottoms were painted with the typical hull coating of the time, which used tallow and a number of other ingredients.

According to its account books, the Vasa shipyard bought large amounts of tallow and the other ingredients often used in this type of hull coating.

Therefore, until further evidence comes to light, you could paint below the hull waterline, a choice of either a dirty white to simulate the tallow or dirty brown to simulate tar.

jase
#2 Posted : 04 April 2018 20:03:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This is realy interesting, given that the painting is primary everdance from the time i will go with white

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#3 Posted : 04 April 2018 23:00:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very interesting indeed, wonder what other snippets of information will be revealed during the course of the release.....Drool Drool ..

Regards

Alan
Ulf56
#4 Posted : 17 April 2018 16:52:29

Hi, I'm planning to build my Vasa giving an Impression how she may have looked at her maiden voyage (only four sails, no topgallant masts, missing cannons, etc.)
I'm going to stick to White for the White hull bottom, wich poses the next tricky question: how far up?
the bottom had to be paintet before the ship was slipped, so any painted waterline would be an assuption, keeping in mind that Ballast was added in the last Minute.
we know, how deep she was in the water (14 swedish feet at the stem, 16 feet at the stern)but painting White up to this line would be an impossible coincidence.
any Ideas?
Tomick
#5 Posted : 17 April 2018 17:38:38

Groups:

Possibly you could email the Vasa Museum for their thoughts
guidedisken.vasa@maritima.se
Ulf56
#6 Posted : 17 April 2018 20:41:18

Good idea, willco
Gandale
#7 Posted : 17 April 2018 22:23:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Ulf56 wrote:
Hi, I'm planning to build my Vasa giving an Impression how she may have looked at her maiden voyage (only four sails, no topgallant masts, missing cannons, etc.)
I'm going to stick to White for the White hull bottom, wich poses the next tricky question: how far up?
the bottom had to be paintet before the ship was slipped, so any painted waterline would be an assuption, keeping in mind that Ballast was added in the last Minute.
we know, how deep she was in the water (14 swedish feet at the stem, 16 feet at the stern)but painting White up to this line would be an impossible coincidence.
any Ideas?

Hope we get the chance to see you work on this build, all sounds very interesting....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Ulf56
#8 Posted : 19 April 2018 11:33:43

Thank you Alan.
I'm still in research-stadium and haven't even subscribed yet.
I'm planning to retire end of the year and the Vasa project should keep me busy.
Will keep you all updated!
Regards Ulf
Gandale
#9 Posted : 19 April 2018 22:56:25

Ulf56 wrote:
Thank you Alan.
I'm still in research-stadium and haven't even subscribed yet.
I'm planning to retire end of the year and the Vasa project should keep me busy.
Will keep you all updated!
Regards Ulf

No problem Ulf, look forward to your update. She's certainly a beautiful kit...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Stuntie
#10 Posted : 24 July 2019 17:24:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Tomick wrote:

One of the few colour images of Swedish warships of this period, (a watercolour from 1626 showing Swedish ships in the harbour), shows all of the Swedish warships with white hull bottoms.

Hi Tomick, do you a link to this image if possible?
Or any info on where it can be found?

Cheers
Stuntie
Cheers
Stuntie.

Building: R2D2 and Sovereign of the Seas
Subscribed: Bounty
birdaj2
#11 Posted : 24 July 2019 17:47:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stuntie

You may have a long wait as Tomick isno longer on board it seems.

Just looking through some of my own links and thisone might be of interest to you

https://commons.m.wikime....jpg#mw-jump-to-license

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Martyn Ingram
#12 Posted : 24 July 2019 19:37:26

BigGrin Hi Stuntie the inventory for the Vasa shows that it had tallow and turpentine which was mixed to cover the hull below the water line. Luckily there is no shipworm in the Baltic so it only had to fend off barnacles and seaweed. The colour of the hull would be a mucky white. Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe