Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deck planking Options
ENJAY49
#1 Posted : 28 July 2019 14:42:01

Groups: Registered

Hello, all, since this isn't my first build, and with all the great instruction, video, and the people on here, I haven't really had any questions...until now. Starting with the first deck planking, (22 months in, way-way behind!), instructions call for dividing the first plank, frame 12 to 20, then 20 to 27. Next row is also divided into sections. My question is why divide the strips when one will cover the same length? I can see no reason why they should be cut. Thanks for any reply,
Bruce
Bruce
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 28 July 2019 19:04:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Bruce

As a good deal of this deck will be visible on the finished kit they are getting you to plank it so that the end joints are staggered as they would be on the real ship.

If you were to use (lets say) a 320mm long plank all of the end joints would be in line and it would look a little odd.

I cannot see any reasin you could not use full length planks if that is your preference but the magazine instructions are trying to produce the look of the real ship.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ENJAY49
#3 Posted : 28 July 2019 20:21:34

Thanks, Tony! I'm using 3mm strips, and after (by what I could see in photographs and guessing, a 2 frame distance for the length of each plank, which luckily seems about right, from what I now find), i scribed the butt ends with a sharp 2b pencil. (Since the nails are plugged, I don't think they should stand out at this scale, so didn't mark them).
Now, regarding my question, since I'm about to install them , I was curious if there was any reason NOT to use full strips, since cuts would look somewhat different than the pencil "butts". On mine, the only real ends are only from frame 12 to beyond 28, so there will be no visible true ends.
(I've built the Mamoli version, sure your instructions for the Constitution will be like night and day from theirs!)
Really appreciate your reply!
Bruce
Bruce