Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stain and Varnish Options
SquareWheel
#1 Posted : 01 August 2019 19:07:37

Groups: Registered

Hello, my first model ship and I am at the point where I need to pick out a stain. I have no clue what to get. Would Minwax oil-based wood stain work? What about varnish? Any recommendations? Thanks!
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 01 August 2019 20:48:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SquareWheel wrote:
Hello, my first model ship and I am at the point where I need to pick out a stain. I have no clue what to get. Would Minwax oil-based wood stain work? What about varnish? Any recommendations? Thanks!

If you have Minwax available to you (guessing you are USA based) i would say firstly Lucky You.

Here in the UK i can get it through amazon if i am prepared to pay "a trillion pounds/dollars" for it.

I have seen on facebook many many wonderful builds using minwax so while i have not used it if i could get mupy hands on it i certainly would.

In a number of the modelexpo kits i have minwax is mentioned in the build instructions all the time.

Here in the UK i use products by Rustins or Liberon.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
SquareWheel
#3 Posted : 01 August 2019 21:36:47

Thanks Tony! On the bright side the same model is half price in the UK store.

After reading the step by step instructions again, I see that it never ask me to stain the hull after it has been varnished. I was worried that the varnish is water based and the stain is oil based.