Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

D51 Rough Running Options
dslinick
#1 Posted : 11 July 2019 21:03:06

Groups: Registered

My D51 seemed to be running roughly, so I disassembled and found metallic dust on the suspension in the area of the wormm gear. Ran it without the body on the frame and found the same thing...tiny particles of metallic dust. I can't see anything wrong with the assembly.

And per the instructions I rotated the rear boiler band so that the screws don't hit the shaft.

Any thoughts?
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 11 July 2019 22:18:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Does it run smoothly once you cleaned the dust? Maybe there is some binding somewhere causing the dust.Mine is 3 years old and runs smoothly still, but it is under a glass cover.

Carl

dslinick
#3 Posted : 12 July 2019 16:59:31

The metallic dust is definitely generated somewhere in the worm gear, driving wheel area. If I blow the dust away with compressed air and run the motor, I can see it being generated, but can not tell from where. I don't see any wear on the worm drive or the gear attached to the axle.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen this.
dslinick
#4 Posted : 07 September 2019 00:17:52

Sort of a continue of this thread.....the loco now runs nicely as long as I keep the weight off the rolling road. That's when it starts to run sporadically. Almost seems like aligning the drivers on the rollers is near impossible. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Thanks
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 07 September 2019 00:52:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Just a thought, have you tried turning the screw thread around in the drive box.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

alemo
#6 Posted : 07 September 2019 09:58:44

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi,

I lifted the main body by packing up the chassis so that the front and rear wheels take most of the weight and the drive wheels take a lot less.
It is not very special, but if you look at the motor and what it is trying to drive it's never going to race away.
It works but even with the large batteries I don't think we can expect a high performance. I felt disappointed but I never let it run for more than a few seconds.

Alec
Built: Bluenose, Arab Dhow, HMS Bounty, Hummer H1, D51, Spitfire,E type Jaguar.
In Progress: HMS Victory, , Yamaha YZR-M1

Adapt, improvise, overcome.
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 07 September 2019 23:07:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have built both the D51 and the C57 kits as per the instructions and both run fine under power without the need for any adjustments. I suspect that dslinick has received a faulty part somewhere that has caused the problem but its tracking that faulty part down to cure the problem that is the problem.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

dslinick
#8 Posted : 08 September 2019 00:20:53

Alemo's post makes great sense to me - Especially the trailing truck, which has rollers which have nothing to support them. I don't expect great speed. The You-tube video of the D51 demonstrates how fast the wheels should turn and make some degree of sense with the sound generator.
dslinick
#9 Posted : 08 September 2019 20:54:58

Took it apart again and found the 2 of the 6mm screws that hold the wheels to the suspension had shook themselves out. All of these screws now have threadlock. It did make a difference. Better, but still not where I would like it to be.

Just a thought here..... The worm drive is the point at which all of the torque of the motor is transferred to the wheels. Wouldn't it make sense if the worm and drive gear were lubricated- perhaps with something like lithium grease?

I haven't tried it, but tempted.
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 08 September 2019 23:08:33

Perhaps try a silicon spray 1st if that works for you then you could try a grease like you suggested but my thoughts are that over time it will thicken and cause more friction to the motor.

dslinick
#11 Posted : 09 September 2019 01:27:29

Sorry to drag this on, but it is driving me more crazy than usual. I opened the gear case and found the gear full of tiny metal "crumbs". All cleaned out, and everything looks to be installed correctly, but even under no load conditions(holding the drivers off the rolling road, it looks like the worm gear may not be fully engaged with the driving gear, because the worm gear tends to slip. Any ideas,folks?
Thanks
File Attachment(s):
D51 gear 2.JPG (1,847kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 09 September 2019 07:48:02

Have you tried calling C/S for replacement parts.

dslinick
#13 Posted : 19 September 2019 00:37:34

To close the loop on this thread, after browsing the model railroad forums, I disassembled the worm/drive gear assembly and applied a small amount of white lithium grease. The model now runs smoothly and quietly. Based on what I have read, the application of grease will probably outlieve me!
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 20 September 2019 17:49:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

dslinick wrote:
To close the loop on this thread, after browsing the model railroad forums, I disassembled the worm/drive gear assembly and applied a small amount of white lithium grease. The model now runs smoothly and quietly. Based on what I have read, the application of grease will probably outlieve me!

Very happy to see you have solved your running issue and I`m sure you will get lots of positive comments from people who see your finished model. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"