Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Chainplate options Options
genone69
#1 Posted : 26 September 2019 00:10:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I am at the point of working on the chainplates, but really dislike the way the kit describes creating these with brass wire. I don’t think the look fits the model and pictures of the Constitution don’t look anything like the wires. Does anyone know of a better way to do these using either purchased, to scale chain plates that better resemble the actual thing? Would even prefer a self crafted solution if that would provide the best look. This is only my second go at a model ship (I’m hooked) and I am trying to get this a bit more true to form, paying more attention to the details.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 26 September 2019 05:09:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi
You could try looking at the parts available at the cornwallmodelboat site but I suspect your only solution would be to scratch build the items you need.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

genone69
#3 Posted : 26 September 2019 16:57:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks. I would prefer to craft my own as it makes the build so much more satisfying. Do you have or know of any techniques/materials used to do this? I’ve searched the web but have not yet found any guidance. Should brass be used or do plastic strips hold up well over time? I will start experimenting but am hoping to learn a trick or two.
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 26 September 2019 17:39:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I think I would use some thin brass strip as plastic would not hold up to the pull of the shrouds.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe