Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Vasa build. Options
Sticky66
#1 Posted : 13 October 2019 16:45:15

Groups: Registered

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice really. I've started to build this glorious ship, I have to admit, I'm by no means a seasoned modeller, have built a couple of smaller wooden ships in the past, but decided to take up this challenge.

Have done a lot of research before starting, mainly with paint brushes. The recommended brushes for this build are as small as 5/0. Having started with these, I realised they were no where near small enough for some of the detailing on the smaller figures. The smallest brush I currently use is a 30/0, ideal for most of the parts. What I'd like to know is there anything smaller or different methods of applying the paint to some of the really small pieces?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Thank you.
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 13 October 2019 17:34:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and you have picked a stunning ship Cool . The brushes I use for the really small figures are sable artist and the sizes 00 - 01 and 02 plus a cut down one for dry brushing. Looking forward to seeing your build.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tf64
#3 Posted : 13 October 2019 17:40:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Sticky66,

Welcome to the forum Sticky you will enjoy it on here,about the brushes I would certainly take Martyn's advise,good luck with your build will be following with interest.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Sticky66
#4 Posted : 13 October 2019 18:10:25

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for your help, I've had a look at these brushes just now, they seem to have a much finer point than the ones I'm using, so maybe will give them a try.

I must admit, the painting side of the project is a lot harder than I realised, but I will persevere!
Martyn Ingram
#5 Posted : 13 October 2019 18:54:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Just take it slow and follow the painting instructions and you will be fine Cool . I have found that acrylic paint is very easy to use Cool
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#6 Posted : 13 October 2019 19:30:55

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard Sticky, hope you enjoy your time with us and I look forward to seeing your progress on this beautiful ship...Cool Cool

The advice given by others on brushes is spot on, just go for the best quality you can afford. Would also recommend you set yourself up with a wet palette, it will cut down a great deal on paint wastage especially if you decide to go with acrylics, acrylics is what I would recommend.

The detailing is small so if you don't already have a set then I'd recommend a good set of optivisors plus ensure your light quality on the work area is good.

I'm sure you'll love the build, take your time and follow the Official Build. This was you should be able to avoid most of the pitfalls you're likely to encounter...

Good luck with the build, any queries then just ask.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Sticky66
#7 Posted : 14 October 2019 18:57:27

Hi Alan,

I will upload some pics soon. I have been reading your updates on your build, really helpful, so thanks very much for that BigGrin