Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <1234>»
Artesania Latina cutty sark Options
kpnuts
#21 Posted : 19 October 2019 18:48:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all I have done some of the planking I've cut the planks at 70mm which I think in this equates to 10 yards at this scale (although the planking supplied is I think is over scale at about 12"wide ) I'm not going to add the nail heads as I've seen on the printed decks available in this scale as I dont believe a nail with a head diameter of 6 mm would be visible at this scale at.

The planking is very slow going but quite satisfying.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
delboy271155
#22 Posted : 19 October 2019 22:34:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Think you are doing a great job with this one Ken.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Keep up the good work and I`m sure the end result will be worth the effort.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#23 Posted : 20 October 2019 08:47:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're making some good progress there Ken. Think you're going to make a success of recovering this kit. Well done...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
RM1
#24 Posted : 20 October 2019 10:30:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks like a huge task you've taken on there Ken. Much more difficult than starting from new kit. Coming on nicely.
Malc.
birdaj2
#25 Posted : 20 October 2019 11:16:44

Good to see you recovering this one Ken as such a shame if had just been thrown away.

Good comment you made about the deck plank nailing and deciding to leave it off your build.

I have started (slowly) on a Panart 1:78 HMS Victory bow section kit and have nearly finished the deck planking. I am in two minds if i should cover the whole lot in lots of black dots to represent nail heads or leave as is.

Hope yours continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#26 Posted : 20 October 2019 15:51:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Ken, progressing nicely.

Mark
arpurchase
#27 Posted : 20 October 2019 18:11:42

BigGrin Coming together nicely KenCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

kpnuts
#28 Posted : 20 October 2019 20:35:59

Hi all well this is as far as the decking can go at the moment as I've used all the wood left in the kit for this (they were very generous with wood as it was already fully planked so they nearly give you double what you need) I just hope when the new stuff comes it's similar coloured unlike the last bit (for the waterways which were completely different colours) I realise wood is a natural product so can differ I just hope it's not too much different.

arpurchase
#29 Posted : 20 October 2019 23:17:04

BigGrin Hi Ken

As you say the wood you have sent [ I suspect] for may be lighter in colour than the strip your using now. All is not lost though you could use a wood stain like light oak to bring the deck to a uniform colour.

You may need to do a few test samples on some scrap planking to get the colour you want before applying it to the deck.

All looking good and nice work.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#30 Posted : 21 October 2019 08:34:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Ken, well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#31 Posted : 25 October 2019 20:42:19

Hi all well the planks arrived and I was happy the colour was the same but they must have used the other 3mm because these are narrower also they are not 1mm thick either ( not that that matters much once sanded down) I managed to get a knife under a few of the stuck planks and shave some off the inner sides and squashed them together I'm hoping it will be enough so the thinness of the new planks won't notice.

While I was waiting for these planks I planked some of the sides (I must say I'm quite pleased with the results.

I bought a sprung pin pusher for inserting the pins, I intend to drill the holes for the pins first as the ply on the bulkheads is all split and separated from all the pins used to plank it the first time (I would have glued and clamped them but figured it would make them harder and therefore make putting the pins in harder) I think it's all starting to come together.

arpurchase
#32 Posted : 26 October 2019 07:16:16

BigGrin Nice start on the planking Ken and remember that the planking will look pretty rough until you get to the sanding stage then it will transform into a Swan.Cool

Markwarren
#33 Posted : 26 October 2019 09:04:13

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Ken, you’re transforming this very nicely.Love

Mark
tf64
#34 Posted : 27 October 2019 09:51:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done Ken

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

kpnuts
#35 Posted : 27 October 2019 21:07:32

Planking of the main deck complete, I've given it a coat of clear varnish to bring out the wood grain.

Martyn Ingram
#36 Posted : 27 October 2019 22:49:21

BigGrin Looking good Ken Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#37 Posted : 28 October 2019 00:16:18

Looks like you're making nice progress Ken... Keep it going...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#38 Posted : 28 October 2019 09:15:19

Looking good Ken, watching with interest.Love
birdaj2
#39 Posted : 28 October 2019 10:16:49

You are doing a good recovery on this one Ken.

I was watching a programme recently about the Cutty Sark. Rob Bell has had a short series on famous ships running. Its covered HMS Belfast, HMS Victory being 2 of the others i have watched.

Cutty Sark is a beautiful looking ship.

Hope yours continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#40 Posted : 30 October 2019 21:08:39

Hi all got some more of the side planking done and done a bit more to the cabin.