Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

HMS Surprise Build Materials Options
goddo
#1 Posted : 22 December 2019 12:47:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

I have been looking on the website at the HMS Surprise kit and then browsed the build instructions and I am a little concerned. The wood in the photos, particularly for the keel and bulkheads, look as if they are nothing more than balsa wood or something similar. Very grainy and appear to be quite brittle, just like balsa wood.
Is it just photographic license or am I worrying unduly? It would be nice to hear that the wood is on a par with HMS Victory for example. Maybe a fellow builder can let me know.
Also, I noted that there were a few messages earlier about back orders on some of the issues. Is this still happening or are the suppliers back on track now? Incidentally, if I did buy it, I would get the complete kit rather than monthly subscriptions. Not sure if there would be parts missing from the full kit if there are still back order problems.
Any advice would be welcomed.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 22 December 2019 18:34:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I ordered this earlier in the year only to geta refund as It was out of stock.

Saw one of the USA members mention it and having checked its listed as available again.

As to your balsa query i can advise its not. How do i know? Well a few years ago i started and stopped somi had the first installment.

The wood does look like balsa on the keel and frame parts but is a plywood with the facings looking almost like balsa hut harder.

In 2 minds if i should go with this.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 22 December 2019 19:21:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I can confirm Tony`s statement that the parts are in fact ply and have just opened a pack that`s in my stash and its 5mm thick ply.

The full kit is showing as available at this time, but if you want to be sure call CS on 0333 240 1227 and ask for confirmation.

Hope this helps.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#4 Posted : 22 December 2019 21:04:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thanks for the replies Derek and Tony.
I think your advice about checking with Customer Services is sound.
I'll get on to them after Christmas.
In the meantime, Happy Christmas to all on this brilliant forum.
Have a good one.
Chris
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 22 December 2019 21:21:34

goddo wrote:
Have a good one.
Chris

Thanks Chris.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas time.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 22 December 2019 22:07:55

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
Have a good one.
Chris

Thanks Chris,

Your welcome BigGrin

Merry Christmas

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"