Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

S4Simon's Millennium Aussie Falcon GT Build Options
S4Simon
#1 Posted : 20 March 2016 10:32:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

So here we are. The poor ol' Aussies are coming in a little late, albeit 16 months late, but we're here. There seems to be a few of us starting the Falcon, so hopefully there'll be a few more build diaries creeping in to this site.

So the best part of starting a little late is that we can see all the different builds and learn from what all the others who have cometh before have done. There's many different painting methods out there and last year I went out and bought a shed load of AS-20, plus a fancy new airbrush and shiny compressor. And now that I have part one in my hands I was a little confused as to which way to proceed.

In the end I have fallen to the dark side in the way of Darkview's build methods and will proceed with the oil wash as the base coat.

I did spend all of Xmas building up some Bandai kits using my dry brushing skills gained from 70's model building, but this was blown out of the water once I saw Darkview's build. So I'll be using a mix of new and old skills on the Falcon.

Any way onwards and upwards. I will spend the next couple of weeks trialling different methods before I start on the final pieces. Thanks to all who have previously trodden this path and have shown us 'New Builders' new and exciting techniques.

Happy Falconing !

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Spudtrooper37
#2 Posted : 21 March 2016 19:35:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome to Forum.

You have any plans yet, paint panels as you go or do one big hit when completed?

Nice paint/weathering on the Y-wing and Snowspeeder.

Darren

Have an AWSOME day and may the Force be with you always 😉

Building: Millennium Falcon https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=14381&p=7 - Building: BTTF Delorean - Building: Dom's Dodge Charger
- Building : X-Wing https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=34899
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 21 March 2016 20:26:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Lovely looking models.

Reading one of the recent model mags i see that revell ate going to launch a new range of star wars models using the finemolds kits so should be some quality models at reasonable prices BigGrin
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
davetwin
#4 Posted : 21 March 2016 21:14:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum and Falcon build, hope,you enjoy BigGrin look forward to seeing what you come up with Cool
LrdSatyr8
#5 Posted : 21 March 2016 21:33:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome to the forum bro... love the weathering effects you acheive... what are you using?
S4Simon
#6 Posted : 22 March 2016 01:10:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

In answer to your questions. Way back at Xmas I was going to go the 'wait till issue 50 and then start work on the base' But now that I'm going to use the oils as a base paint I'm going to work on it every possible chance I get - so weekly.

Never been a super fan of Revell, even though I probably bought 10% of their kits produced in the 70s and 80s. And I've still got a Revell catalog from 1983 on my desk here. The Star Wars Bandai kits have been epic, well designed and look great. But if Revell bring out some new quality stuff I may well have to purchase.

I don't think I'll be coming up with anything new and exotic during the Falcon build davetwin. I've already done the general lighting and fibre optic method on another Falcon some years back and found it painfull to say the least. The end result is great but oh so time consuming. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the Falcon I finished back 10 years ago.

Found it. 3 working CRT's plus a working HUD and fibre optics thrown in. Pity no one else gets to enjoy all the hard work put into these models of ours.

The weathering effects / tools used on the X Wing and snowspeeder are: Trusty Dremmel, Thinned paint and dry brushing. Nothing special. It's taken me 40 years to save up enough to get an airbrush, so am looking forward to trialling some new methods to try and replicate other people's work here.

Even though most of you guys are heading towards completion I made a very short sub 60 second vid on applying an oil based coat. I was pretty happy with the results. I'm just trying to lighten it down a little - first few goes were a little too heavy handed on the black.

Deagostini Millennium Falcon - Base oil paint method

...And last of all for any Australians out there thinking that I have a Falcon GT car. Sorry to disappoint. Instead my weekend drive is a Lotus.

And to finish back on topic. Here's a pic of the cockpit build thus far. No fancy lighting just a little oil paint and dry brush. Keeping it simple.

Thanks all for your kind welcome to the forum.

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
S4Simon
#7 Posted : 25 March 2016 03:40:42

So we're only up to issue 3 here in Oz, so I'm spending the Easter weekend testing some new paint methods.

Hopefully will have some sort of idea how I want the final pieces to look by the end of the weekend.

Still not 100% happy. But I've got some Tamiya weathering packs arriving in the mail next week.

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 25 March 2016 10:13:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking great and some nice retro pics I too am collecting the Falcon but will wait until I have a full side to paint before starting to paint and the use of an easel like Spencer in his Custom build is a great idea I think.

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=14926

The only extras il be using are the Paragrafics cockpit and hold etch sets but may also get the corridor set. Have fun with your build.Cool

Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

S4Simon
#9 Posted : 29 March 2016 07:41:46

The finished pieces have gone into the Special Star Wars cabinet, until we get the next batch of parts through. :-)

All going well so far.

LrdSatyr8
#10 Posted : 29 March 2016 15:20:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Looking very good so far bro! Look forward to seeing more as the parts start coming in! :)
S4Simon
#11 Posted : 18 January 2020 05:56:03

Thought I'd better show some finished product photos. Better late than never. Absolutely loved the build. Currently on the back end of finishing R2 and also getting into the Bismarck build. Happy days.

Junk Pilot
#12 Posted : 18 January 2020 09:23:06

Very nice. Well done. I haven't even started mine yet
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 18 January 2020 10:51:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You’ve done a stunning job there, you must be very pleased with that. Excellent work.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark
S4Simon
#14 Posted : 18 January 2020 11:06:15

Thanks guys.

This was much more than just an enjoyable model, it kept me sane for two years. I looked forward to receiving the monthly package and it took my mind off some tough times at work during that period. I get so much enjoyment from these builds.

Onwards and upwards. :-)