Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
X-Wing Official Build Custom/Enhancements Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 29 December 2019 20:52:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

X-Wing Official Build Custom/Enhancements

As I am building the X-Wing stages, I will be making some enhancements I think would benefit this fabulous kit. This is not essential, if you just want to build it straight out the box as this kit comes pre weathered, however it is just a case of preference.

As I finish certain stages, I will be adding some weathering and chipping effects to the main hull and wing areas. This will be added straight over the existing colour to make it simple to achieve and continue with the build in order of parts. Anyone wishing to follow this and feel they want to have a go at doing the same, I will be showing you how this is done and what colours I have used.

The first parts to weather will be each wing, as and when they have been constructed. So here we go.

First, was to tone down the exhaust ends. I masked off the area I wanted to paint and then sprayed a very light coat of sea grey, just enough so the black was still showing through slightly.

Secondly, I wanted some chipping effects on the wings. This was achieved by using Vallejo paints. This is very quick drying, so take care.
I used some small pieces of sponge to create the chipping effect. These were dipped into the paint, dabbing off any excess on a paper towel and then carefully applied over the areas I wanted chipping. The first colour was a light grey, similar to the main colour of the model. This will go over the red painted areas.
I mixed a combination of light grey, white and aged white to achieve this. Some of the larger chips were made with a small brush. Just take your time when placing the paint, less is more, so they say.
Once this was done, I then used a German grey for the main hull areas as well as dabbing some of this colour on the larger light grey chipped areas I did on the red paint.

Next, was to add some darker weathering to the hull, particularly around the engine areas. This was achieved by using Abteilung oils, Starship Filth, Dark Rust and German Ochre.
For the main wing areas, I used the German Ocher, applying it to the brush straight as it come out of the tube. Dab the excess off and blend in with a dry soft brush. A little Starship filth was also applied in areas. The engine part was painted with dark rust and softened with a dry brush and a good amount of Starship filth was blended in for the dark areas. After this was done, I used some Mig rocket dust pigment on the Starship oils and the ends of the engine exhausts.

Finally, some gun metal pigment was used to give a metallic feel to some parts.

I will allow this to dry for a good week or so before sealing it with a matt varnish to which I will then paint the underside.

Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
photo 01.jpg
Photo 02.jpg
Photo 03.jpg
Photo 04.jpg
Photo 05.jpg
Photo 06.jpg
Photo 07.jpg
Photo 08.jpg
Photo 09.jpg
Photo 10.jpg
Photo 11.jpg
Gandale
#2 Posted : 29 December 2019 23:33:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

It's amazing the difference your personal touches give to the overall appearance Mark, very impressive indeed and a joy to see.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 30 December 2019 19:35:35

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thank you for your comments Alan.BigGrin

Mark
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 31 December 2019 15:29:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

great work.You really are a master of weathering

Carl
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 01 January 2020 11:08:59

darbyvet wrote:
great work.You really are a master of weathering

Carl

Thanks Carl. I’ve no plans to alter anything structurally, just some simple weathering and maybe highlight the cockpit more.
I’ve even bought a Luke Skywalker in the same scale in his orange fight kit.

Happy New Year to you ThumpUp

Mark
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 04 January 2020 15:49:22

Pack nine saw some inner cockpit parts, mainly the life support system. We also got the hydraulic pistons for the cockpit canopy.
The first part I painted was the canopy. I took the glass out the frame and sprayed with primer. Once dry, I then painted the canopy with a mixture of pale blue and light grey about 50/50. Then I applied some chipping effects before finishing it off with some Starship filth to add some grime. I finally gave it a coat of matt varnish to seal it, once I allowed it to dry for a couple of days.

The hydraulic pistons were given a coat of matt black and then painted the bottom silver.

Next, was the life support box. This was again painted with a matt black, dry brushed with silver to highlight and then painted the pipework silver. Obviously, there will be more parts to be attached to this, but these will be painted as and when the issues instruct me to.

Finally, the side seat consoles were a little bland. I looked at reference pictures of the full-scale filming model that was used and noticed that they had lighter inner white/grey panels. Using some masking tape, I taped off the areas and painted it white with a touch of grey, so they didn’t look too stark.

More soon
IMG_5123.jpg
IMG_5122.jpg
IMG_5121.jpg
IMG_5120.jpg
andali15
#7 Posted : 04 January 2020 16:01:25

Groups: Registered

Excellent work there Mark. Following with interest. Andy.
admin
#8 Posted : 05 January 2020 00:46:44

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking great!

I like the personal touches. It’s a great kit OOB, but the scale gives such a platform for some truly insane detailing.
Gandale
#9 Posted : 05 January 2020 11:55:02

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Can see this is going to turn out to be something special Mark, already looking superb....Drool Drool .. Very well done...

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 05 January 2020 14:47:25

Thank you all for the comments. Blushing

Mark
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 10 January 2020 18:49:48

After almost completing the final wing, I decided to have the top wing engine canopy to open. I took off the four screws that holds this in place and will replace the screws with some circular magnets at a later stage before the wing gets attached to the main body. I then sprayed the inner part of the canopy with matt black. With this open, it will allow the engine to be displayed.
I also took out the screw and disconnected the engine, as I wanted to repaint it and add some detail to this part. I then primed the parts and once dry, spayed the engine with metalcote paint and allowed it to dry.
The main engine was lightly airbrushed with an off white/grey colour. When this was almost dry, I used a cotton bud and rubbed some of the paint off exposing the metalcoat paint underneath. Some black was also sprayed to darken some areas before a light coat of silver dry brushing was applied. The Power convertor was airbrushed with a combination of copper and brass, then darkened with black.
I have also added some greebies to the front engine that goes in the small gap at the front. The engine has been temporarily placed back into the wing to give an idea of how it will look, however some more detailing will be done when the wing undergoes its weathering at a later stage.

Next time I will be showing some extra lighting using fibre optic cables in the side consoles. This will not require additional LED’s to be used.

More soon

1.jpg
IMG_5161.jpg
IMG_5163.jpg
IMG_5164.jpg
IMG_5165.jpg
IMG_5166.jpg
IMG_5168.jpg
IMG_5171.jpg
Andreas
#12 Posted : 10 January 2020 19:44:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

That´s great work Mark!,BigGrin
Looking forward for your extra lighting using fibre optic cables in the side consoles.
Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 15 January 2020 18:11:48

Many thanks for looking in Andreas.BigGrin

I have now added some fibre optic cables into the side consoles in the cockpit. Because of the limited space there is under the console where the LED bulb will be attached, I have cut the optic cables very small. I used 0.75 fibre optics and mushroomed the ends to give a smoother finish. Once these had been inserted, I glued the inside to hold them in place with some PVA glue. I have also added some aluminium foil to the inside as shown, this will make it a little more reflective when the lighting is attached at a later stage.

The lower part of the cockpit has been painted with a blue/grey to match the canopy. On looking at reference pictures, the studio model shows this to be the same colour as the canopy.
IMG_5174.jpg
IMG_5175.jpg
IMG_5177.jpg
IMG_5178.jpg
IMG_5179.jpg
IMG_5181.jpg
Gandale
#14 Posted : 16 January 2020 00:28:47

Excellent work there Mark and am sure it'll look the biz when its all lit up....Drool Drool Love Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
admin
#15 Posted : 17 January 2020 05:02:08

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looking great!
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 17 January 2020 09:53:53

Thank you for your comments Alan & Mark, much appreciated.BigGrin

Mark
ch1potle
#17 Posted : 03 February 2020 18:06:09

Groups: Registered

Beautiful work there Mark. This is one to keep an eye on.
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 01 March 2020 18:23:00

Pack 16 brings the cockpit parts. As I have done before, I have added extra lighting and did some repainting giving it more detail. All the extra lighting will utilise the existing LED lights that come with the kit. I started with the front panel drilling out and adding some fibre optic cables.
I then repainted parts as shown and added a little more detailed paint to the parts. The front cockpit screen was inserted, and some tracing paper painted blue was then placed on the underside. This will give a blue look to the screen as well as defusing the lighting. More fibre optic cables were placed and painted with translucent paint.
The rest of the pictures show some detailing added to the parts with paint before the lighting was attached and tested.
There will be some more detailing of my own, which will be added next time.

The official build diary will follow in the next few days.

Until then, happy modelling.

MarkCool

Photo 23.jpg
Photo 24.jpg
Photo 25.jpg
Photo 26.jpg
Photo 27.jpg
Photo 28.jpg
Photo 29.jpg
Photo 30.jpg
Photo 31.jpg
Photo 32.jpg
Photo 33.jpg
Photo 34.jpg
Photo 35.jpg
Photo 36.jpg
Photo 37.jpg
Photo 38.jpg
Photo 39.jpg
Photo 40.jpg
Photo 41.jpg
Photo 42.jpg
Photo 43.jpg
Photo 44.jpg
Andreas
#19 Posted : 01 March 2020 19:50:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

Always a pleasure to watch your builts ThumpUp
Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
Gandale
#20 Posted : 01 March 2020 23:25:45

Excellent update Mark, loving the way this is turning out.... Beautifully done....Love Love

Regards

Alan