Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Power Distribution For Add On Options
ir3an
#1 Posted : 09 February 2020 18:36:05

Groups: Registered

For those builders that have added corridor lighting and fiber optics, how did you solve the problem of supplying power. It can't be derived from the power management board in the Falcon as it will not supply the current requirements for all of the lighting additions and all of the sockets on the board are switched depending on the function. I am curious as to how other builders solved this problem without extensive circuit design. Any comments, pictures, links to videos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
S4Simon
#2 Posted : 09 February 2020 23:30:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I piggy backed of the individual white downlights - added three led lights to each downlight circuit board. I also ran my interior hold lighting off the stairwell circuit board, this was adding an additional 4 leds in the hold. I ran this setup for two long days at the last model show with no issues, just on the internal battery pack. Had to change the batteries each day though.

I also bought a slightly higher specced power pack, I think an additional amp (2 amp) pack to run when I have access to mains power. No issues there either.

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Vector_Scamp
#3 Posted : 10 February 2020 03:21:18

I don't have my control board yet because of the delay in getting me pack #15, but my plan currently is to hook up each wire socket to another board of my own design which uses transistors as electronic switches for each circuit and use the electrical high from the downlights, ramp light, forward floods, etc. as triggers for the transistors so I can switch each larger circuit on and off. This way I can build in a much higher current load in order to handle the increased demand from the new lights, especially since I'm doing a full cutaway and nearly then entire deck of the ship will be visible. I plan on making a larger 12 volt rechargeable power pack and using the aft landing gear housing as a battery holder.
ir3an
#4 Posted : 11 February 2020 19:34:16

Thanks for the replies. The big current demand is going to be the corridor and floor lighting. For this I found a nice solid state switch which I will control via the lighting connector for the ramp. The solid state switch will then turn on/off all of the corridor lighting as well as the ramp lighting. This will wrap up the wiring and I can get this project finished up.

Cheers to all

ir3an
#5 Posted : 12 February 2020 23:31:33

I found a solid state switch. The part number is KF0602D. The input to the switch comes from the ramp light socket. I have a jumper from the ramp light socket to the pc board and added a connector on the PC board to go to the ramp light. The switch is activated when the ramp goes down and the ramp light turns on. The remaining 4 sockets distribute power to all of the LED's and Fiber Optics. 9 volt supply plus power goes to the solid state switch and the 9 volt supply negative goes to the common negative on the PC board. A pretty clean solution. Now all of the added lighting gets its power directly from the 9V source and eases the requirements of the one supplied in the Falcon kit.
ir3an attached the following image(s):
P1040671-001.JPG