Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Raising and lowering legs Options
dfoster
#21 Posted : 27 December 2018 05:02:00

Groups: Registered

HI, I am also having a problem with the left side legs. They work during the testing but once it is all together the left gears slip and the legs get all wonky

I have attached several photos of the left side crown gear. As you can see I have about a 5 mm space between the side rail and crown gear. I have followed all the suggestions in this post but I still have gear slippage. I did notice the the ribs on the lower side rail that hold the drive shafts in place might be causing the gap in the crown gear Pictures 74.1 and 75.1 shown the ribs I am talking about. Picture 79.1 and 82 show the gap in between the crown gear and the rail
File Attachment(s):
074.1.jpg (1,237kb) downloaded 87 time(s).
075.1.jpg (1,101kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
077.JPG (1,125kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
079.1.jpg (1,059kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
082.JPG (1,147kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
delboy271155
#22 Posted : 27 December 2018 10:47:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi

I`ll study your photo`s and get back to you very soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Bickie
#23 Posted : 22 January 2019 12:28:17

I have not long finished my build of the Thunderbird 2. I have also experienced the legs not working correctly once the model has been fully assembled. But the model had worked correctly for 30 plus lifts and retractions of the legs before the upper body was screwed into place. The first time the body was screwed into position the legs on the left side stopped working correctly.
delboy271155
#24 Posted : 22 January 2019 16:02:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Bickie wrote:
I have not long finished my build of the Thunderbird 2. I have also experienced the legs not working correctly once the model has been fully assembled. But the model had worked correctly for 30 plus lifts and retractions of the legs before the upper body was screwed into place. The first time the body was screwed into position the legs on the left side stopped working correctly.

Hi Bickie,

I have sent you a PM.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

pharrison
#25 Posted : 01 February 2019 19:19:56

Good evening, I recently completed my Thunderbird 2 and have the same trouble with the raising and lowering i.e. works fine until the top is fitted and all screws are fixed. I have tried the fixes suggested in previous posts with no luck. Any suggestions?
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 01 February 2019 20:13:01

pharrison wrote:
Good evening, I recently completed my Thunderbird 2 and have the same trouble with the raising and lowering i.e. works fine until the top is fitted and all screws are fixed. I have tried the fixes suggested in previous posts with no luck. Any suggestions?

Have sent you a PM.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Virgil Tracey
#27 Posted : 19 February 2019 22:01:29

This is for dellboy....i see you are sending pm's...could these be solutions to the problem?
delboy271155
#28 Posted : 19 February 2019 22:20:46

Virgil Tracey wrote:
This is for dellboy....i see you are sending pm's...could these be solutions to the problem?

It`s for guidance as per that already noted into the forum.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

GPocock
#29 Posted : 17 March 2019 20:59:10

I am also having a problem with the legs working properly. Things seemed to work OK until I installed the top. Pretty much what has been reported in the other posts. I reinstalled the guides, th4 leg housing, etc. but nothing helped.

I tried checking to see why the gears were slipping when I noticed that if I pushed up on the nose of TB2, the gears starting slipping. What I could see was that the top gear moved up a bit. This is when the slipping occurred. I checked the black guide to see if it was loose or not installed properly. I could see that the guide was as far down as it could go as the feet on the guide where sitting on top of the green guides that are used to guide the axis from the motor box to which the gear is attached. So I can't make the guide fit any tighter. I then checked the gears and I could actually push the top gear down on the two side gears. It is as if the top gear isn't being pushed down far enough by the black guide. But I don't see anyway to adjust the black guide any further.

Any help getting these legs to work correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Gerry
Virgil Tracey
#30 Posted : 17 March 2019 21:36:41

I used washers where the crown gears are both top and bottom and although not perfect reduces the problem significantly.
Steve1701
#31 Posted : 30 May 2019 15:10:02

Groups:

make sure the clear plastic over the gears is tightened down properly, failing that it has to be fibre washers which are available from amazon.
Erwin
#32 Posted : 05 June 2019 20:57:29

Hello
I just made a complain at the customer service about the problems with the raisin and lowering from the Legs
I read all topics here and I notify that it is more then only a small problem
I think that the system is to weak to lift the heavy top , without the top it works fine but with the top it gets wonky
For this price it should be better then this , if the rails are not good connected why does it lift wel without the top and when you pu the top on it its going wrong
I made many models and this model is outstanding good for building excellent manual but the system for raising and lowering is wrong , its A construction failure in my opinion
roymattblack
#33 Posted : 06 June 2019 08:25:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

When I built mine (the Custom build on this forum) I replaced the fixing screws at the very front of the side rail mechanisms.
I drilled out the fixing holes a small amount and used much heftier screws so I could tighten it all down MUCH more so that nothing could move where it shouldn't.
When the upper body was finally fitted, all was well.
darbyvet
#34 Posted : 06 June 2019 17:24:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

I also posted another fix using washers under the gears if Roys fix does not work for you.I couldnt use Roys fix because I disassembled and reassembled by Tb2 several times and the threads in the plastic were getting worn and I worried they would crack with a bigger screw.

see here;

http://forum.us.model-sp...amp;m=311775#post311775

Carl

Erwin
#35 Posted : 14 June 2019 13:42:18

darbyvet wrote:
I also posted another fix using washers under the gears if Roys fix does not work for you.I couldnt use Roys fix because I disassembled and reassembled by Tb2 several times and the threads in the plastic were getting worn and I worried they would crack with a bigger screw.

see here;

http://forum.us.model-sp...amp;m=311775#post311775

Carl

thank you for the picture and help but i think its strange that its not included with this expensive product ...now you have to improvise for A failure in the construction..after many times searching what the problem is...im stil waiting what for answer i wil get from the helpdesk of this model about this problem....otherwise I leave negative feedback and A warning on this model from the Modelspace site......thank you for your help
darbyvet
#36 Posted : 08 September 2019 15:52:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

here are the measurements for the washer I used. As Roy mentioned above using a larger screw to screw on the cover for the raising and lowering mechanism may also help.What happens is the gears are slipping because there is a bit too much play once the top cover of the mechanism is fitted.It is fine when you dont have the top of Tb2 on, but when you add the extra weight of the top of TB2 the gears may slip.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
washer1.jpg
washer2.jpg
washer3.jpg
darbyvet
#37 Posted : 09 September 2019 22:58:56

darbyvet
#38 Posted : 15 February 2020 16:47:39

Are the screws that hold the clear cover over the mechanism tight? it is possible that the clear cover is lifting up a bit and allowing the gears to slip.You can also try adding a second washer to the ones you added.I lost those metal pieces too and just used a brass rod cut to size to replace them.

Carl

Metal Mech
#39 Posted : 01 March 2020 09:23:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet wrote:
here are the measurements for the washer I used. As Roy mentioned above using a larger screw to screw on the cover for the raising and lowering mechanism may also help.What happens is the gears are slipping because there is a bit too much play once the top cover of the mechanism is fitted.It is fine when you dont have the top of Tb2 on, but when you add the extra weight of the top of TB2 the gears may slip.

I have just gotten to this part of the assembly. I'm debating on if I continue to assemble and then during the test phase just bolt on the nose and see if I can see where the slippage is.

Makes me wish I hadn't glued my vent covers in on the nose. I could put it together and watch the from crown gears better if I hadn't.

After reading everything its obvious to me that somewhere the geometry is changing when the body it bolted down. Also based on what is being said its a problem with the left side of the kit. Well guess what is different from the left side vs the right side? There is no short gear shaft running to the gear box. with the rails removed if you hold the shafts on the right side down the gear is very difficult to make it move. Not so on the left side. I almost feel if there was a good way to install a dummy gear it would make it less likely to move. I realize the rail is designed to hold the gear in place but something is making the left side slip. Its a shame that it does not have the mounts molded on the left side or it would just be an easy test of dropping in an extra short gear shaft.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Axel Arturo
#40 Posted : 16 August 2020 21:36:16

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Hello!

I'm from MX City, the other side of the world jaja.

Well, I had the issue of the legs about 4 years more or less. When I get the final volume and test all together (with the fuselage over) indeed the problem was annoying and frustrating.

After 1 month looking the answer I quit, but, yesterday since I completed my TB1 deagostini I decided to give a second try then I read all about this issue. Indeed, the problem is related to the gears and the mechanism of it yet I can not assure is more related to the fuselage, on my experience is the mechanism then I'll explain:

1) The gears were jumping once you turn on the TB, the problem is on each gear that is close to the motor, the black section with the clear part (uhmm lets say the train for the legs) is not good enough or tight to press the gears so they don't "dance" while is moving, that is the cause of the sound like tack tack tack tack and the legs getting lift disorganized.

2) The power of the battery is another factor, if you have a weak battery the mechanism simply will not have enough "juice" to lift the full model (Is a small motor, we can't ask a lot for it but serves us well when all is correctly set).

3) Finally, indeed, is necessary to check all the parts are correctly set, I figured out that I didn't set the small metals that are into the train when you already placed the telescopic leg, they are 4 small metal parts that allow the train move slightly and softly into the clear part if you do not set it the full mechanism will start jumping again.

Now, tu tururuuu turuntuntuuun tun tun tuu tatararaa tarantaaan!!

Solution:

I try my best to attach pictures of my home fix, actually, y used unnecessary part of the TB1 legs to make this works, as someone mentioned before you need to use a washer on the gears that are close to the motor must precisely close to the intakes, and a third one on the right side of the thruster, on the opposite side of the ON/OFF switch, should be a thin washer and will help to press the gears between each other to compensate the lack of pressure in the model. This might vary between each model of yours, mine got the three gears loose then I needed to add three whases, add it on the inferior gear, not the upper since the problem is the bottom gear does not fit correctly for that tiny space that left to make the contact with the other gears.

Finally, I didn't buy a metal washer as I mentioned I use a small, thin piece of plastic that I drilled through with a hand drill (Not an electric one) then I make the hole wide enough to fit with the metal part and used "Kola" to stick it to the gear.

After doing this on the three gears the sound and the jumping of the TB2 stoped totally even with the fuselage, I read that some people fixed by not screwing the nose section (it worked for me also but not for long since the problem is with that "jumping gears".

Suggestion, try each of the gears in your own model and see if they are "dancing" up and down, use a pen or pencil, and if you see there are millimeters missing to make the contact correctly use this process on each one, if you don't I can tell you that the problem will go on until the teeth of the gear get broken for that takatakaka issue because they are smashing and getting out of the correct way of movement.

Thanks for reading, was a full adventure this kit and I hope Degostini take care of the details like this, after all, is a lot of money and is not a simple mechanism as if is not correctly calibrated can easily get broken.

I got mine from HLJ.com not directly from Deagostini so my instructions were all in JP jajaja was headache and I'm terribly sorry that I can not read all the magazines :( I don't a sh....of JP
(T-T)

Have a good one!

Axel Arturo attached the following image(s):
117583324_720079382106563_427955825769943777_n.jpg
117764912_326313425230617_3354069394673345062_n.jpg
117772094_2459270807704910_7150550698253221913_n.jpg
117944927_770099607123676_7693313645945002905_n.jpg