Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Westland Lysander Options
tf64
#1 Posted : 10 February 2020 19:23:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This version of the Westland Lysander was a British army co-operation and liaison aircraft produced by Westland Aircraft used immediately before and during the Second World War,what I have found out it was a exceptional short field aircraft which enabled it to land on small improvised airstrips behind enemy lines,to place or recover agents particularly in occupied France with the help of the French Resistance.

My aim will be to try and re-crate a diorama showing a Lysander landed and recovering an agent and flying back to the UK,this all came about after recently reading a local magazine which had a picture of an Lysander taking of near to me.

Picture not to size due box size.

Regards

Trev

Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

birdaj2
#2 Posted : 10 February 2020 19:42:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sounds an interesting idea for a project Trev.

Lysander is a very purposeful looking aircraft and interesting to see a Hawk kit which I have never seen before so will be interested to see how you get on with this one.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 10 February 2020 21:44:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'll look forward to seeing this one come together Trev, I can remember building the little Airfix Lysander many years ago. I'm pretty sure there was an agent holding a briefcase posed with one foot on the boarding ladder in that one. Be nice to see it in 1/48 scale!Cool

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#4 Posted : 11 February 2020 00:56:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great idea for a dio Trev and am sure you'll do the build justice.... Count me in as one of your followers, am going to enjoy seeing how it all comes together....Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
S4Simon
#5 Posted : 11 February 2020 08:53:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The Brad Pitt movie, Allied, has some good shots of the Lysander in action. Surprised me when I first saw the movie.
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
tf64
#6 Posted : 11 February 2020 10:07:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony,so far this kit fit's together very well,it took me some time to find it,Hawk is one of America's oldest model company's cost £20 with post can't be bad.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

birdaj2
#7 Posted : 11 February 2020 10:10:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

tf64 wrote:

Hi Tony,so far this kit fit's together very well,it took me some time to find it,Hawk is one of America's oldest model company's cost £20 with post can't be bad.

Regards

Trev

That is very good in terms of price.

I think the only kits i have from hawk are a range of “funnies” that came out back in the ‘60’s for the first time. They are comic horror figures in cars or planes.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
tf64
#8 Posted : 11 February 2020 10:18:19

Hi Robin,

Good to hear from you,will catch up on your build and what you are up to,looking forward to this build the Diorama will be 600x 600mm so there will be room to play.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#9 Posted : 11 February 2020 10:23:19

Hi Alan,thanks for looking in and your comments,it should be finished by the end of Feb as I will have time to complete ?

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#10 Posted : 11 February 2020 10:28:11

Hi S4Simon,

Thank you for taking a look at my post,and thank you for your advise regarding the WW2 film Allied,I have just ordered a copy. (and a few beers)

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#11 Posted : 11 February 2020 17:06:27

This picture shows all parts removed and airbrushed with mig surface primer,then airbrushed in final colors.

This shows fuel tank which is also used as a table for a map,also shows instruments decal.

With both sides of the fuselage together you can now see both crew,the agent now seated in the back has another role as a rear gunner if needed remembering this will all happen at night.

More soon.

Regards

Trev

Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Kev the Modeller
#12 Posted : 16 February 2020 14:23:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hello Trev,

You've made a very good start to this model, always liked the quirky appearance of the Lysander with it's great big wheel spats and unusually shaped wings, but a superb aircraft nonetheless!

Well done Trev, will be following your build with interest. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
tf64
#13 Posted : 16 February 2020 22:44:39

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your time,I have enjoyed building Lysander it all started with a trip to Chartwell, in one corner of his studio I spotted a small model a Lysander? I had to ask all about it,I was told that the Lysander was part of Sir Winston's secret army.

He used the Lysander to drop off general supply's but some times used to insert or remove agents in occupied France.My plan will be to build an early example brown/green camouflage with black under side.Also this will sit on a Diorama on a field on a full moon.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Gandale
#14 Posted : 17 February 2020 00:00:19

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that is coming together very nicely indeed Trev.. Great start.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Kev the Modeller
#15 Posted : 17 February 2020 15:35:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

tf64 wrote:
Hi Kev,

Thanks for your time,I have enjoyed building Lysander it all started with a trip to Chartwell, in one corner of his studio I spotted a small model a Lysander? I had to ask all about it,I was told that the Lysander was part of Sir Winston's secret army.

He used the Lysander to drop off general supply's but some times used to insert or remove agents in occupied France.My plan will be to build an early example brown/green camouflage with black under side.Also this will sit on a Diorama on a field on a full moon.

Regards

Trev

Hello Trev,

Yeah I saw that same model when I went to Chartwell a couple of years ago. It's in his art studio, silver if I remember and quite large like a radio controlled aircraft size? Nice model!

You're intended moonlit diorama sounds exciting Trev, will look forward to seeing it. Well done again. ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Per Ardua Ad Astra
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 17 February 2020 18:24:39

Off the a good start Trev.

Its an interesting aircraft with such an unusual wing shape.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Markwarren
#17 Posted : 17 February 2020 21:01:28

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start Trev, looking very nice.Love Love Drool

Mark
tf64
#18 Posted : 20 February 2020 08:10:18

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for looking in,

This is the update: Lysander /plus Diorama finished, working on the background at present which will be a large full moon using W/Newton acrylic mediums taking longer than I thought but very pleased so far.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

tf64
#19 Posted : 27 February 2020 12:26:41

Hi

As promised this is the finished Lysander plus the Diorama taking off after a drop off somewhere in France, this would have been a tricky landing and take off as it was all ways a night operation with a full moon.

The moon I used a lid to get the circle, then painted it white, when dry added ready mixed wood filler when dry airbrushed white.

This build is now finished

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

delboy271155
#20 Posted : 27 February 2020 13:23:32

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Trev, BigGrin

That`s a very nice dio you have produced. WTG

Congrats also on your "Red" medal for the completion of your build diary.ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"