Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Difficulty in starting the engine Options
arpurchase
#21 Posted : 24 February 2020 02:07:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Gzt4gs wrote:
I can’t get the engine to start. I followed all the setup instructions and at first I could get it to fire by putting a few drops of fuel into the glow plug hole but it fired then stopped immediately. I have followed all the tips on here with no luck. Now I can’t even get the starter cord to pull. It is stuck solid. I think I have a faulty engine. How do I get a new one?

Remove the motor and strip it down to check all the parts are still ok, it sounds like you have a hydrolic lock right now but best to check first.

Another problem that may occur is to check the fuel flow from the tank to the engine. Check if the fuel from the tank is being drawn through to the motor if the fuel can be seen to go up the fuel line to the motor then this is ok.

Sometimes there may be a bad seal at the filler cap of the fuel tank to check this put some presure on the filler cap if the fuel starts to flow with presure but stops if you remove it the the seal is no good and you need a new fuel tank.

Once you have re-assembled the engine start from scratch on the start up instructions and you should be ok.

A tip on starting is to use short average tugs on the starter cord not jerking it as pulling too hard will break the assembly.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gzt4gs
#22 Posted : 24 February 2020 14:05:19

I've already tried all that, stripped the engine twice, checked the fuel and the glow plug. Tried turning the motor over with the plug removed, still seized.
I can't find anything wrong
arpurchase
#23 Posted : 24 February 2020 17:14:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

When you strip the engine down have you removed the piston from the cylinder head and checked the cylinder head lining and the piston itself is not damaged.

Also can you confirm that after the strip down that the starter mechanism functions correctly.

Remember I can not see your motor so I have to ask you questions to solve your problem.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gzt4gs
#24 Posted : 24 February 2020 20:31:16

arpurchase wrote:
When you strip the engine down have you removed the piston from the cylinder head and checked the cylinder head lining and the piston itself is not damaged.

Also can you confirm that after the strip down that the starter mechanism functions correctly.

Remember I can not see your motor so I have to ask you questions to solve your problem.

I checked it all. After rebuilding the cord pulls once then seizes
arpurchase
#25 Posted : 24 February 2020 21:43:23

Contact C/S and order a replacement cylinder and piston quoting the stage numbers of the parts.

Gzt4gs
#26 Posted : 08 March 2020 10:23:10

Got a new piston and sleeve, also bought some new glow plugs. Rebuilt the engine, double checking that it is all correct, and tried starting again. It still does not start. I’ve reset the mixture and idle screws numerous times, tried warming the engine with a hairdryer even tried a few drops of fuel into the cylinder, it does nothing no matter how many times I pull the starter cord. This is one of the worst models I have ever built. The only solutions I can think of now is to either return the model or try converting it to electric. I have wasted 2 weeks waiting for the new parts and I don’t have the patience to have to wait 2 weeks every time I get suggestions on the next part to replace. Model space should provide ready built and tested engines, disgraceful model.
arpurchase
#27 Posted : 08 March 2020 12:32:49

We have had many people buy all the kits with glo engines and not have a problem with starting the engine after following the instructions. I myself have built this motor and the Huracan motor without any problems. I have over 15 years experience with glo motors in cars and aircraft.

Whilst I understand your frustration I can only give advice gleaned from what you say as I do not have your car in front of me to see what is wrong.

So you have rebuilt and reset the motor and indicate the starter is now working fine with out locking up. That now leaves what fuel are you using and has it 10% nitro content, if its the correct fuel then that is not the problem.

The only other two things it could be as long as the settings are correct on the engine are as follows:-

Check the flow of fuel from the tank to the carburetta sometimes the lid seal of the tank if not pressed down enough allows air into the tank and you can see the fuel flow back to the tank leaving the fuel tube empty.

Is your glo starter battery fully charged and when you attach it to the glo plug can you hear a sizzling sound with fuel present [do not attempt this with a dry glo plug but one with fuel present or you will burn out the glo plug ] if so then the motor should start if set up correctly. Also is the glo starter firmly attached to the glo plug as movement from pulling the starter can sometimes dislodge it causing the circuit to break

A new motor can take many attempts to start at first but after a couple of tanks have gone through it it will start much quicker.

Gzt4gs
#28 Posted : 08 March 2020 13:02:26

arpurchase wrote:
We have had many people buy all the kits with glo engines and not have a problem with starting the engine after following the instructions. I myself have built this motor and the Huracan motor without any problems. I have over 15 years experience with glo motors in cars and aircraft.

Whilst I understand your frustration I can only give advice gleaned from what you say as I do not have your car in front of me to see what is wrong.

So you have rebuilt and reset the motor and indicate the starter is now working fine with out locking up. That now leaves what fuel are you using and has it 10% nitro content, if its the correct fuel then that is not the problem.

The only other two things it could be as long as the settings are correct on the engine are as follows:-

Check the flow of fuel from the tank to the carburetta sometimes the lid seal of the tank if not pressed down enough allows air into the tank and you can see the fuel flow back to the tank leaving the fuel tube empty.

Is your glo starter battery fully charged and when you attach it to the glo plug can you hear a sizzling sound with fuel present [do not attempt this with a dry glo plug but one with fuel present or you will burn out the glo plug ] if so then the motor should start if set up correctly. Also is the glo starter firmly attached to the glo plug as movement from pulling the starter can sometimes dislodge it causing the circuit to break

A new motor can take many attempts to start at first but after a couple of tanks have gone through it it will start much quicker.

The fuel is recommended for the gx21 by my local hobby shop. The fuel tube has fuel in, it is full. The starter battery is fully charged and I hold the starter in place when trying to start it. I am not a novice, I have had a few nitro models. This is just a ferry bad choice of engine
arpurchase
#29 Posted : 08 March 2020 13:30:52

I am trying to help you here so I can cure you startup problems I have to treat every one as a novice because I do not know you or of your experience with glo motors .

The GX21 engine has been used for years as a power source in model cars without any problems.

You say this is not your first nitro powered model and have experience with glo engines and starting them. I think it may be a good idea to get your local model shop to check out the motor and maybe start it for you.

Gzt4gs
#30 Posted : 08 March 2020 16:31:47

arpurchase wrote:
I am trying to help you here so I can cure you startup problems I have to treat every one as a novice because I do not know you or of your experience with glo motors .

The GX21 engine has been used for years as a power source in model cars without any problems.

You say this is not your first nitro powered model and have experience with glo engines and starting them. I think it may be a good idea to get your local model shop to check out the motor and maybe start it for you.

I appreciate you are trying to help but I have never had issues like this with any other build.
It is frustrating that ModelSpace will not help, they just keep pointing me to this forum, if they are going to sell these models they should have someone on staff who can help. It’s the worst after sale service I have ever seen.
If you look at reviews online the GX21 engine has a reputation for being temperamental and unreliable. I have tried contacting Kyosho but they insist they did not know of this model and the GX21 engine has been out of production for a long time.
Gzt4gs
#31 Posted : 08 March 2020 16:59:48

Just had another try. Still not starting. I have disconnected the fuel pipe from the carb and turned it over while holding my thumb over the exhaust, the fuel is getting pumped up the pipe
arpurchase
#32 Posted : 08 March 2020 17:20:48

Ok so you have fuel one more silly question when you turn the motor over is the fuel staying in the fuel pipe to the carburetta or is it going up and down the fuel pipe. If it goes up and down you have an air leak somewhere.

It may be that you need to open up the needle valve for the fuel half a turn and a quarter turn on the other screw as you may not have enough fuel getting through . Its best to run the engine rich when breaking it in anyway.

Once the engine is run in you will need to lean out the fuel to get the best revs from the engine as you already know.

Gzt4gs
#33 Posted : 08 March 2020 17:31:02

The fuel stays in the tube when turning over. I have already tried turning the mixture up