Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

cotasue Options
cotasue
#1 Posted : 10 March 2020 00:15:40

Groups: Registered

Please help. I finished my R2D2 and followed the start up procedures. He only stays on if he is plugged in. The red light is flashing red quickly which means he is powering off. I removed the batteries and went through the charging protocol again and they are all good and were fully charged. I replaced the batteries and went through the start up again. He still does not stay on. Is this a bad battery box. I went to a special battery store to get the right batteries and the connections seem to be OK. I am about to test the voltage but I am getting tired of taking him apart. I rechecked all the lead connections to the switch board and they are all correct. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just want him to work--- it's been 2 years...
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 10 March 2020 08:41:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You might want to check the voltage coming from the battery box. If you can be specific on what he does at startup and what make a spec your batteries are. The more information you can give the better we can try and help. I know you said you have checked the connection, but recently a couple of member have gone back to check through methodically and found a cable inserted the wrong way round or a pin not making connection.

Here is a guild that might also help.

R2 Troubleshooting

Regards
Mark
cotasue
#3 Posted : 10 March 2020 15:34:58

Thanks Mark for getting back with me. After I went through the start up process per the instructions he did turn not turn on so I plugged him in and he then did turn on, his head moved as described he would, moved forward as described he would, the lights went through a series of red flash, to purple flash, then to blue-- then he made a whistling sound. After that the light immediately went to red and was flashing. Per the guide, that would mean that he was powering down. I turned him off and did the battery check again, then I charged all of the batteries again, went through the same start up process, same result. I only can get him to turn on if the power cord is attached, he does the same process then the red light flashes and I am unable to do a force quit the button on the front of him so I have switched it off. I fear that I have ruined him and I just now have a very expensive paperweight. The batteries I got were called "Nuon" and there were brand new and met all of the specks described in 92 since I took it to the store with me to make sure I got the right ones. They had a good charge (3.8) when I put them in the charger but I allowed them to go through the whole charging process as well.
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 10 March 2020 21:26:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

It does seem like a power problem, especially if he starts up with the power cable in. It looks as if there is no power coming from the battery box. If you look at the troubleshooting guide, check to see what voltage is coming from the battery box as instructed if you can. You should get around 12volts. Also could check the battery contacts are okay. Also check the batteries are definitely unprotected, the Nuon ones I have seen have a protection circuit inside.
Let me know how you get on.

Mark

cotasue
#5 Posted : 14 March 2020 23:35:00

Hi Mark,

I wanted to update you. I purchased the exact batteries shown and went through all of the troubleshooting guides as am pleased to tell you that now R2D2 works. Now I just need to learn how to use the app. Thank you for all of your help!

Amy
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 15 March 2020 09:51:59

Thanks for the update Amy. Glad to hear you are all sorted, and have fun with him.Cool ThumpUp

Mark