Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Bfam's Porsche Options
bfam4t6
#1 Posted : 11 January 2020 18:52:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well, I've owned a lot of cars, but this is my first Porsche LOL

This is also my first part work model, so I'm excited to see how this goes.

My primary goal going into this was hoping to avoid buying and setting up an airbrush and painting station. A small, mobile brush painting station is fine, as I would like to add some extra details and hopefully some mild weathering. It's been many years since I've painted plastic, and I've never really weathered. Fingers crossed!

I started with the brakes first.

File Attachment(s):
Caliper 01.jpg (314kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
Caliper 02.jpg (577kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
Caliper Putty 01.jpg (493kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
Caliper Putty 02.jpg (398kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
bfam4t6 attached the following image(s):
Caliper Putty 03.jpg
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

roymattblack
#2 Posted : 11 January 2020 19:30:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looking very good so far.
Try to resize your pics to below 145kb, then they will all show without having to be downloaded.
You'll get far more views - and possibly comments.BigGrin

Keep it coming.

Roy.
bfam4t6
#3 Posted : 04 March 2020 01:50:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks Roy! I think I hit the mark with the file sizes this time.

I'm currently still working on Month 3, so a decent amount of progress has been made.

I started out all brush painting, and I wasn't very happy with the end results on the shocks until I weathered them. So, moving forward I have switched to rattle cans for painting larger parts, and will probably end up with an airbrush before too long.

I have a small issue with one tire slightly popping out of it's rim, and wont hold itself back in when pushed. But, it's on the back of the tire, so not too big of a deal.

You can see the before and after weathering and sanding done to the front wheels and tires.

IMG_3649.jpg
IMG_3651.jpg
IMG_3657.jpg
IMG_3654.jpg
IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3670.jpg
-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

bfam4t6
#4 Posted : 04 March 2020 02:15:08

And finally on to more exciting things, the engine!

The top half the engine did come with some minor paint damage, and a little flashing on the plastic bits. I've touched it all up.

IMG_3702.jpg
IMG_3703.jpg
IMG_3704.jpg
IMG_3705.jpg
IMG_3706.jpg
IMG_3707.jpg
IMG_3710.jpg
IMG_3719.jpg
IMG_3807.jpg
-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

Markwarren
#5 Posted : 04 March 2020 08:51:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice start, it is a great model with lots of detail. Keep it coming.Love Love Drool

Mark
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 04 March 2020 09:42:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

You're off to a great start.
There's lots of potential in this kit for adding and upgrading.
It will be good to see what you do.

Roy.
bfam4t6
#7 Posted : 04 March 2020 16:44:21

Thanks for the kind words guys! And yes, plenty of room for improvement with this kit. You’ll see I’ve decided to add a lot to the engine, and keep coming up with new ideas as I go along. Roy, I’m using your customized build thread as a great reference, so thanks for that!

I was trying to upload more photos last night, but got sideswiped mid photo cropping by an issue I had to take care of immediately. Hopefully I can finish sharing some more tonight. I think I’ll try linking from a third party image hosting site to help me control the page layout a little better and more easily match my comments to the pictures.

-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

bfam4t6
#8 Posted : 15 March 2020 02:05:35

Here are a couple of the reference photos I've been using.

Of course Roy's Custom Build Thread has also been a great guide. I've painted the fan housing rear black as he suggested. Also puttied over the screw hole in the fuel pump.

This shows my first attempt at making hose clamps from aluminum foil and double sided tape. You'll see I changed them later.

Here are the coils before I cleaned them up.

The injectors needed some clean up too

All Sanded

Painted with Tamiya Flat Aluminum

-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

bfam4t6
#9 Posted : 15 March 2020 02:20:38

The 3rd month shipment was nice to get, and really put the whole size of the car into perspective.

This piece was a little warped, but I'm sure it'll straighten right out upon being screwed down.

These all needed some sanding.

Modified to match the real car. I'll be adding small studs and nuts to the four corners as soon as my next shipment of micro hardware arrives.

This is the necklace/leash part of a kid's toy whistle that I cut off and soaked in brown wash to be used as hose wrap.

Test fitting. Still original aluminum/tape hose clamp. Wrap in place.

Not the final product, still playing around. New hose clamp from Model Motorcars on the left hose, modified with aluminum foil and .6mm hex screw

The final product.

-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

Markwarren
#10 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:13:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work, love all the extra detail you are doing. Love Love
Don’t forget to resize the pictures as before, just makes everything easier for member to see.
Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your next instalment.Love Love

Mark
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:51:20

It's looking really great. Keep on posting. It's nice to see it all coming together.BigGrin
bfam4t6
#12 Posted : 26 March 2020 01:32:17

Sorry for the size issues. Hopefully this round shows up better.

Here I'll show the work I've done to the fuel injection system.

First, here are a couple of the references I've been using. I'm pretty certain this engine is not precisely a 1973 911 2.7 RS engine, but I figure it's good enough to use for fuel injection routing reference material.

You'll see I've started adding a couple miniature pieces of hex hardware here and there, although I have since swapped out the fan bolt for an even larger one that came with my most recent order. I'm still waiting on even more miniature hardware to arrive for even more detailing.

On to the kit...

First, the injectors should be angled. The stock kit has them sticking straight up. So, for my first attempt at angling them, I simply held them above an open flame until the pegs on the bottom started to droop a bit. In these pics you can see I've test angled the back right two injectors for test fitting.

Here you can see test fitting of one of the stock fuel lines supplied with the kit. I see how they work just fine for some people, but I just wasn't happy with them. The real car has metal lines, and these just weren't convincing enough.

Sooooo, to the store I went, and back I came with the 16 gauge wire. I decided I was going to go all out, and figured the best way to secure the custom metal lines was going to be to cut off the pegs and make them holes instead. I decided to attach the injectors to the engine block via 18 gauge wire, bent, and beefed up a bit with some putty. Hopefully the pictures do a good job explaining.

Test fitting...clearance seems fine...I guess one good thing about the hollow bottom air housing.

Few more angles. I did try to sand down the tops of the injectors to be more "hex-like" and did some touch up painting.

And one more shot to show just how big this thing is finally getting. Being my first 1/8 build, I am still quite impressed.

-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

Markwarren
#13 Posted : 26 March 2020 09:28:32

Coming together very nicely.Love

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#14 Posted : 26 March 2020 10:33:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

LoveLuvvin those mods, especially the braided hoses ThumpUp Great idea that.
Keep up the good work.

Regards
Gray
bfam4t6
#15 Posted : 07 April 2020 00:04:31

Thanks guys.

Just a few more shots to wrap up the fuel lines. They obviously didn't come out perfectly, as I'm no master of bending wire, but overall I'm happy with the results. I think they look better than the stock kit plastic tubes, and most of the kinks and irregularities will be hidden under the air filter housing anyways.

The next section that I felt warranted some decent modding is the throttle linkages. The stock kit linkages are just wildly inaccurate, to the point that I'm not even sure why. I realize liberties must be taken for the sake of production limitations and just generally not being able to reasonably replicate absolutely everything, but I've gotta be honest...for a $1,500 model, this level of inaccuracy with no apparent production, stability, or otherwise obvious benefit just kinda baffles me. As the stock kit comes, part of the linkage links to....nothing!?...shouldn't it be controlling a throttle body, and not just floating in mid air. And what's with the random bracket/thing?

Anyways, the stock intake manifolds leave some to be desired as well, but I did not feel like scratch building them. So, I attempted to use as much of the stock kit as possible, and this is what I came up with. The extra bits are were made from cardstock soaked in super glue, primed, then painted.

Quick reference photo to show what it should look like.

No third linkage connects to...nothing? Big silver bracket is a...??? Here you can see I've already started to paint.

Used some scrap to make a mounting spot.

More painting

Had to shorten one of the shafts. Used some threaded rod to patch it and make it look adjustable.

I'll try to post some more soon.

-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

bfam4t6
#16 Posted : 08 April 2020 20:22:46

I decided to add studs and bolts to the manifolds and throttle bodies. Studs were 1mm and 1.2mm brass threaded rod cut down and sanded, with respective hex nuts added, then super glued in place. Even with hardwood floors and a good LED light, I still lost a couple bits. I had to buy a new pair of fine tweezers just to hold on to these bad boys.

Started adding spark plug wires. Might need to trim them back a bit still.

-Dustin

-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting

roymattblack
#17 Posted : 09 April 2020 08:44:28

Really great work going on here.
I'm sure you're giving lots of ideas to others building this kit.
Love
darbyvet
#18 Posted : 09 April 2020 14:33:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Looks great.your additions really make this engine pop

Carl

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 09 April 2020 17:03:59

That engine is looking excellent. Love Drool Cool

Mark
delboy271155
#20 Posted : 10 April 2020 22:18:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is looking good with the engine additions.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I have also awarded your "Blue" medal for running a diary.

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"