Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Planking the Bow - Only taper the top/bottom but which is which? Options
Gauncer
#1 Posted : 15 April 2020 16:55:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello team,

I hope everyone is healthy and happy out there.

I might be overthinking this issue I am having, but it is a real question.
In the book “Pack 4 Stages 31-40” page 181, “planking the lower hull” section “Tapering planks.”

The copy says:
Only taper the top edge of the plank.
Leave the bottom edge straight as this will make it easier to fit the adjacent plank.

My question is, what is the top edge of the plank, the photos on page 181 show the ship upright, hinting the top edge of the planking would be aiming towards the plank above the waterline.

But...

If you look at page 184 section “Where the parts fit,” the ship is upside down. There is a reversal of direction, and the terms have now changed; what was once top now becomes bottom. The top of my plank is now aiming toward the keel. So when the build direction says, “ Only taper the top edge of the plank. Leave the bottom edge straight,” Which is which?

I have my ship upside down like in the photo on page 184 - “Stage 32: Planking the bow”. Should I be taping the edge that is going to be bumping up to the previous plank that glued in place on the ship or the edge that a new plank is going to be laid next? Should I taper the edge that is keel side or waterline side?

Thank you for your feedback and attention.

The Overthinker, Jordan
In the workshop: HMS Victory
Finished builds: Providence Whaleboat
Gandale
#2 Posted : 15 April 2020 20:19:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Easiest way to think about it is to always taper the edge of the new strip that glues against the straight edge of the previous layer of planks fitted. Once fitted, this will mean you will always have a straight (non-tapered) edge ready to accept the next layer of strips....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Gauncer
#3 Posted : 16 April 2020 15:48:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

LOL BigGrin perfect. Thank you, Alan!

JG
In the workshop: HMS Victory
Finished builds: Providence Whaleboat