Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Steering Gear, Large Gear Misalignment Options
jabber
#1 Posted : 19 February 2020 16:44:01

Groups: Registered

Dear All,

Has anybody had any difficulty in engaging the metal large gear 114-1 onto its shaft in stage 114.This is the gear that engages with the steering rack. My gear will not slot onto the shaft as it appears to be to big. Upon close inspection the gear teeth do not mesh very well with the steering rack, and are therefore pushing the gear away from the rack and so not allowing it to slot on its shaft. Has anybody else come across this problem? The only way I can think of resolving the problem is filing the teeth carefully therefore allowing the gear to mesh better with the rack.
Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers

Brian
File Attachment(s):
Gear misalignment.jpg (1,901kb) downloaded 52 time(s).
Sweetooth
#2 Posted : 19 February 2020 18:41:33

Still waiting for my pack 12 to be delivered, sorry
HMS Vic
#3 Posted : 19 February 2020 21:53:24

Same here. And same for another person on a FB group. This cog is the wrong size.
HMS Vic attached the following image(s):
FB_IMG_1582145803103.jpg
HMS Victory, Spitfire, MP 4-23, D51, T72, Honda CB750, Harley Davidson, Hayabusa, Ducatti 1299, E-Type, Mustang and Porsche 911, VW T1 Samba. Many others from other suppliers on the go!
andali15
#4 Posted : 19 February 2020 22:12:44

Not got that far yet but upon checking the teeth on the large cog to the steering rack they do not match. Seems as though the cog teeth are to shallow? Yes ? When I get to this stage I will try and file cog to see if it’s a better fit. Andy.
Spal
#5 Posted : 19 February 2020 22:45:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yep mine was the same as well but managed to get mine on after a little persuasion BigGrin

Al
Split 66'
#6 Posted : 17 April 2020 01:58:40

I'm up to this point too now, and the alignment is off, I don't want to force the gear on.

Has anyone successfully forced it on there and had the steering work properly?
admin
#7 Posted : 17 April 2020 05:01:42

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The official response is that “there is nothing wrong” with the parts.
andali15
#8 Posted : 17 April 2020 08:45:09

Are we assembling wrong then as there seems to be discrepancies with other builders. I forced mine on and it locked up the steering completely. As I took the large cog off the plastic shaft broke off. C/S did replace the front floor and I stripped down and replaced but the new part still has the cog off centre. I’ve not tried to fit large cog so steering is not working through steering wheel. Andy.
Split 66'
#9 Posted : 17 April 2020 22:05:36

My main steering gear alignment looks exactly like the picture HMS Vic posted.

I definitely don't want to break that plastic post underneath the front floor.
Andreas
#10 Posted : 18 April 2020 08:22:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

It's like Mark said the parts are fine. We also had this "problem". The hole offset comes about because the plastic floor warps slightly when installed. The gear is put on a thin screwdriver or mandrel. Then you insert the thorn into the holder and bend it slightly forward. Now you slide the gear on it. Everyone had the problem, but we did so and the steering works for everyone. See the link below. There is also a video from Italy;about this "Problem".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbRPpoiaq9M
Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
mpfiend
#11 Posted : 18 April 2020 08:23:00

admin wrote:

If there is nothing wrong with the parts will the build sequence and manual be re written so that our parts can be fitted correctly?
It seems very strange to me that so many people here are having issues with this part of the build if the parts and documentation are correct.

Regards

Keith.
Andreas
#12 Posted : 18 April 2020 08:28:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

mpfiend wrote:
admin wrote:

If there is nothing wrong with the parts will the build sequence and manual be re written so that our parts can be fitted correctly?
It seems very strange to me that so many people here are having issues with this part of the build if the parts and documentation are correct.

Regards

Keith.

Hi Keith, just take a look at Post #10,watch the Video

best Andreas

Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
andali15
#13 Posted : 20 April 2020 11:29:13

Hi Andreas, I have done as you say, used a small screwdriver to leaver the shaft the large cog slides down on and that has worked. Unfortunately the steering is still hard to turn when everything is assembled using the steering wheel in the cab, it does move but expected it to be easier to turn. I think I will leave alone now as can’t think any other solution. Regards Andy.