Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Is the the door hinge Part 4H directional? Options
Eagle
#1 Posted : 16 April 2020 13:10:25

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Pack 2 arrived this week, In looking at the online forum builds I don't see anyone mentioning if the door hinge part 4H is 'directional' it looks offset? anyone else notice this?
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 16 April 2020 17:55:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Eagle wrote:
Pack 2 arrived this week, In looking at the online forum builds I don't see anyone mentioning if the door hinge part 4H is 'directional' it looks offset? anyone else notice this?

Hi Eagle, BigGrin

I am not building this kit, but have built several other of the car kits.

I`ve looked at the download instructions for the issue you are talking about and have this info for you to look at.

In the Pack 2 instructions - Stage 4 - Step 4-3 there is an expanded pic of the hinge being put in place.

In that pic it shows the hinge laying flat, with the triangular sides pointing upwards with the screw mounting posts being low. Should you put the hinge upside down you should see the difference opposed to that pic.

In addition take a look at the official build that has some great close-up pics in the link below:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=33095

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

davidyat
#3 Posted : 27 April 2020 13:45:56

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I posted this elsewhere in the forum. I'm in the same boat about that hinge. This is what I posted:

Davidyat here. I'm in the same boat with that hinge. One way it fits flat and when you install the plate, it only rotates about 10 or 15 degrees. The other way doesn't look right but rotates way more than 15 degrees. When fully assembled, how many degrees should it rotate?

Just want to know how many degrees of motion should that hinge have?
Dave
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 27 April 2020 13:57:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

davidyat wrote:
I posted this elsewhere in the forum. I'm in the same boat about that hinge. This is what I posted:

Davidyat here. I'm in the same boat with that hinge. One way it fits flat and when you install the plate, it only rotates about 10 or 15 degrees. The other way doesn't look right but rotates way more than 15 degrees. When fully assembled, how many degrees should it rotate?

Just want to know how many degrees of motion should that hinge have?
Dave

The answer to the hinge orientation has been answered in post #2 of this thread.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

davidyat
#5 Posted : 28 April 2020 13:19:51

Delboy, I just want to make sure. Is there more to this hinge setup when the model is finished? There is a flat molded into the hinge that inhibits movement to just a few degrees when installed as per the pictures. If this is correct and the only hinge part, then the door won't open a full 90 degrees on the finished model. Yes, I could use my Dremel and grind off the flat part and get a full 90 degree opening. Just wish I could see more down the line with the instructions. If this hinge is just PART of the finished opening, then I would understand. I would just like confirmation that this part is only supposed to move a few degrees.
Davidyat
davidyat
#6 Posted : 28 April 2020 13:41:24

On another note, I would give my eye teeth if Model Space would come out with a 1970 Gulf Weyer Porsche 917 in 1/8. I was fortunate to be at the 1970 Sebring 12 Hour when Steve McQueen and Peter Revson almost won. The 917 looks just as nasty today as it did in 1970. This would be a great compliment to the GT 40 that will be in my office. Amalgam has one already built for about $1,200. I'd just like to build my own.
Davidyat
https://cdn.shopify.com/..._center.jpg?v=1571066962
davidyat
#7 Posted : 28 April 2020 13:44:50

OOPS, I looked at the price wrong. The 917 is $12,000!!! YIKES
davidyat
#8 Posted : 28 April 2020 13:59:03

Derek,
Go to the Pack 5, page 64 instruction download. Look at the co-drivers' door hinge final assembly. The hinge REALLY doesn't look like the assembled hinge for the drivers' door.
David
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 28 April 2020 15:54:12

davidyat wrote:
Derek,
Go to the Pack 5, page 64 instruction download. Look at the co-drivers' door hinge final assembly. The hinge REALLY doesn't look like the assembled hinge for the drivers' door.
David

Hi David, BigGrin

To me the parts look like a reverse of the first hinge which they would do, but as I don`t have access to the parts that is just my judgement.

Having looked through some more of the pdf`s I have come across the picture attached below that shows the doors in their open position. So from the info you have provided about how far the doors open relative to the hinge position it seems obvious that you need to fix it in the position that allows the door to open the widest.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
GT40 Door Hinge.jpg

davidyat
#10 Posted : 28 April 2020 20:32:41

Derek,
What I think I'm going to do, is wait to finish both doors with the inner panel, keeping the panel NOT installed. When I get to the stage where I'm supposed to permanently install the doors, then I'll figure it out, then permanently install the inner panels. That way I can see what parts I need to attach the doors to and figure out if I want to take my Dremel out and smooth out that molded flat part of the hinge so the doors open and close all the way.
David