Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Lord of the Rings game Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 07 May 2020 19:33:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well, I cancelled my sub to 'Age of Sigmar' as I realised it would eventually cost me a massive sum, and I'd end up with literally hundreds of ghost and monster figures I'd never really use.

Being a huge LOTR fan, I did some searching and found this game...
It can be played solo, which suits me.
Lots of nice figures to paint, and the game runs with an app on my tablet.

Fingers crossed...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
Journeys_in_Middle-earth_medium.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 07 May 2020 21:07:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Ummm 🤔 Interesting!
Can’t wait to see more, Roy
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 07 May 2020 22:45:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

The game only arrived today.
It runs with an app you download onto a 'device' (tablet in my case) and it acts as a games master, directing what comes next and how to lay out the umpteen map tiles, hazards, enemies and so on.
It's even narrated, with music, animations and tells a proper story that you are part of.
It seems you can play the game countless times as it's always different.

I'm looking forward to learning the rules, painting the figures and then having a go...Laugh
Gandale
#4 Posted : 08 May 2020 09:44:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I'm also a LOTR fan so I'll be looking forward to seeing your work on this Roy.... Enjoy.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 27 May 2020 17:32:25

I've been busy on various other projects but I've now painted my first wraith and added a bit of scenic stuff to the base.

Also, the game comes with banner markers which use a naff clear plastic stand - shown in one of the pics.
I decided to cast my own in resin after making a few different masters.

On we go...
P1018519A.jpg
P1018520A.jpg
P1018521A.jpg
P1018527A.jpg
P1018535A.jpg
P1018533A.jpg
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 27 May 2020 20:53:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ah 1 player option (makes me a “sad old lonely person” i guess but this does appeal.

Might look this one out once i see your thoughts on its worth.

Do you have any pictures of exactly what is in the box Roy?

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#7 Posted : 27 May 2020 22:38:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Wraith looks excellent Roy, fabulous painting skills.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#8 Posted : 27 May 2020 22:48:28

birdaj2 wrote:
Ah 1 player option (makes me a “sad old lonely person” i guess but this does appeal.

Tony

I'll be playing it as '1 player'.

I'll try to get some pictures of what's in the (BIG) box...
Basically, about 300 game cards, dozens of different tokens for different things, 6 'character' cards, about 30 double-sided game map 'tiles', 2 large double-sided battle tiles, 20-ish 'baddie' figures, 5 'goodie' figures. Assorted extra landscaping add-on tiles, baddie banners - really, a LOT of stuff.

You download the app onto a phone, tablet, laptop - whatever, and then off you go.
The app is animated, music, text speaking etc - VERY impressive.
13 different game scenarios and you can play each one umpteen times as the app remembers what you've done so the next time round it's different.

The app is a games-master and controls what comes next. The way you respond and enter your actions on the app (very simple) the App changes to take it all into account.

If you Google the game - 'Journeys in Middle Earth' and watch some youtube reviews, you'll get the idea.

A game for solo play, or up to 5.

BTW - Many thanks for your comment Alan

Markwarren
#9 Posted : 27 May 2020 22:48:45

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice painting, looking excellent. Love Love Must be a magnifying glass somewhere.Flapper

Mark
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 28 May 2020 08:22:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

roymattblack wrote:
birdaj2 wrote:

Tony

I'll be playing it as '1 player'.

I'll try to get some pictures of what's in the (BIG) box...
Basically, about 300 game cards, dozens of different tokens for different things, 6 'character' cards, about 30 double-sided game map 'tiles', 2 large double-sided battle tiles, 20-ish 'baddie' figures, 5 'goodie' figures. Assorted extra landscaping add-on tiles, baddie banners - really, a LOT of stuff.

You download the app onto a phone, tablet, laptop - whatever, and then off you go.
The app is animated, music, text speaking etc - VERY impressive.
13 different game scenarios and you can play each one umpteen times as the app remembers what you've done so the next time round it's different.

The app is a games-master and controls what comes next. The way you respond and enter your actions on the app (very simple) the App changes to take it all into account.

If you Google the game - 'Journeys in Middle Earth' and watch some youtube reviews, you'll get the idea.

A game for solo play, or up to 5.

BTW - Many thanks for your comment Alan

Thanks Roy. I will have a look later on youtube as you suggest. Looking at your post the game does look really good.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 28 May 2020 17:39:10

A little more...
I'm getting in to painting the little figures - 'little' being the operative word.

Good fun though as you tend to 'lose' yourself in it as you're painting.

I've actually completed 8 nasties now and one of four fire pits.

Ever onwards.
P1018536.JPG
P1018537.JPG
P1018538.JPG
P1018539.JPG
P1018540.JPG
birdaj2
#12 Posted : 29 May 2020 00:20:23

Very nicely done Roy.

They pack a lot of detail into these small figures.

Tony
Happy Modelling