Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

GilShapley Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 25 March 2020 12:23:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

With being "Confined to Barracks" so to speak need to fill in the time so went for this build. Should keep me busy

Will add more pictures as the build starts/progresses (signed up for a 12 month subscription)
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
T72 1.jpg
T72 2.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#2 Posted : 25 March 2020 16:02:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well I got stuck into the 1st delivery

I have noticed that some of the screws provided are of different lengths but their is no indication in the build instructions of which goes where.

I have found it is best to use the screws to cut the threads in the plastic fitting prior to adding them to the model.

I have a question to anyone who has already built this model. When constructing the first idler wheel I notice that the three screws provided do not full insert into the wheel. The fitting feels firm enough but the screws stand proud of the wheel. I do not want to apply too much pressure as this might snap the screws in the fitting.

Will now have to wait for my next delivery
T72 3.jpg
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
GilShapley
#3 Posted : 26 March 2020 12:51:35

Decided to assemble the track links I have already received. Some of the pins require a bit more persuading to fit.

To avoid any potential damage to the links and broken pins I now ensure the castings are clear by using a 1mm drill bit on all the pin holes to ensure there are no blockages/restrictions.

T72 4.jpg
GilShapley
#4 Posted : 24 April 2020 10:04:34

Pack 2 has arrived so construction can now continue. Plenty of time on my hands, as with a lot of us I am not allowed out (Daughters Orders).

Will post more pictures as the build progresses
T72 5.jpg
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 24 April 2020 15:19:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Cool looking kit Gil.I will be watching this.Good on your daughter for telling you to stay inside.I am constantly calling my mum in UK to make sure she is not going out.

Stay safe my friend.

Carl

Markwarren
#6 Posted : 25 April 2020 09:34:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Gil. At least having a hobby as we do, it keeps the sanity in place.

Mark
GilShapley
#7 Posted : 21 May 2020 14:11:50

Well I got impatient so ordered the full kit, which arrived today. Thats the good news. Now the not so good, There are no issue numbers on any of the packs to show which goes with which so it means 1) I cannot check to see if the kit is complete
and 2) I will need to link each pack by reference to the build instructions which I have already downloaded. Not helpful Deag.

Anyone got any ideas on any other way I can identify which pack goes with which build instructions

Angry Angry Angry Angry

T72 6.jpg
T72 7.jpg
T72 8.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#8 Posted : 21 May 2020 17:02:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Mellow Yeah that one of my main gripes, there being no issue numbers on any of the packs. They seem to do it with the wooden builds, but not so much on the metal/plastic kits.

I hope someone can help you resolve this, otherwise it’s going to be a real pain going through each stage of the build tabs ThumbDown
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 21 May 2020 17:18:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Maybe a silly question not having seen the parts but do the card headers have any serial number that might relate to an issue number.

Couple of subs i have Have a longer serial no But part of it os the stage no.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
GilShapley
#10 Posted : 21 May 2020 18:14:44

Well some 3 hours later I have been through all the build instruction manuals and found and numbered all the packs. They are all present.

Building will commence shortly

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
T72 9.jpg
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 21 May 2020 18:16:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gil, BigGrin

Never known this to happen before. Confused Confused

If there is nothing on the header cards then the best I can offer is to work through the "Official Build" as each stage starts with a pic of the parts supplied.

Link: https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=449

If I think of anything else I`ll get back to you.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

EDIT:

See you managed to sort it. Look forward to the rest of the diary. Cool Cool
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#12 Posted : 21 May 2020 18:40:52

GilShapley wrote:
Well some 3 hours later I have been through all the build instruction manuals and found and numbered all the packs. They are all present.

Building will commence shortly

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Well that is good news.

No you have the joy of a complete set of parts to build at your own pace.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
GilShapley
#13 Posted : 24 May 2020 21:07:45

Have now started on the complete kit using it as a continuation of what I have already completed.

One thing I have noted is that with each stage some parts are not required and will need to be stored until required. I have already numbered all the parts of the complete kit so will need to retain my numbering for future reference/construction.

In each stage where track parts are included I have completed them.

Stage 9 :- Installation of the smoke mortars (Right side) It is important to note the numbering as per the build instructions as the fittings do differ (RTFQ Gil)
The remaining mortars are filed for installation later in the build

Stage 10 :- Right front skirt, External fuel tank. To fit the fuel tank I needed to reduce the height of the post to ensure a firm fit.

Stage 11 :- Attach the fuel tank and right front fender, straight forward (after the slight mod to the post for the fuel tank.

Stage 12 :- Add a further fuel tank

Stage 13 :- Add glacis plate, I found it easier to fit by removing the right front fender then refitting once the glacis plate was installed.

Stage 14 :- The various lengths of track I have already completed are joined together. As I have already noted it is a good idea to check all the pin holes are clear to facilitate attaching the pins. Attatch the third external fuel tank, this is straight forward as before.

Stage 15 :- More work on the hull/glacis plate. Add the Bow splash plate (a small amount of glue required here) More track pieces, drivers hatch cover, a simple push fit. The most fiddly part is the towing cable which has a mind of its own

T72 10.jpg
T72 11.jpg
T72 12.jpg
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 30 May 2020 18:35:03

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Gill, BigGrin

All looking good. Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Orange" medal for making 500 posts.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"