Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
HMS Victory copper tile pack & Instructions Options
delboy271155
#21 Posted : 10 April 2020 16:36:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Bill Butler wrote:
Thanks Derek,
Good idea,BigGrin I might give it a try nothing to lose. I have all the tools Pounce Wheels etc. been at this hobby for many years so accumulated lots of equipment. every day is a new challenge especially when you can't get what you need . might be held up for awhile.

Bill

Happy to be of assistance if only to jangle a couple of grey cells.BigGrin

Look forward to seeing what you come up with in way of a jig.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Plymouth57
#22 Posted : 10 April 2020 17:29:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Bill.
Derek's right about the copper tape alternative! The pics below show my DelPrado 1/100 scale Victory which I copper bottomed with self adhesive 6mm copper tape (sold on ebay as anti slug protection)! The left pics were taken about five years ago? The nicely weathered shot on the right about five minutes ago! None of the strips have come away over that time.
I did mine by marking the strip for the length of each tile and then scribing it with a blunt knife. Although I now have a pounce wheel with a set of wheels, at the time I did the coppering I hadn't even heard of the things! I used a miniature circular saw blade from a Dremel type tool, holding the shaft between thumb and forefinger and running it along a steel ruler from the backing paper side to emboss the nails into the copper strip. I applied the strips in lengths of about 10 to 15 tiles at a time with individual tiles shaped for the odd shaped areas.
Overall I was quite pleased with the result even though as Derek says, it's a lot more work!BigGrin
Best of Luck!

Robin
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
Victory copper tiles pic.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Bill Butler
#23 Posted : 12 April 2020 15:20:24

Derek & Robin

Thanks Guys for the tips,ideas and pictures Robin. Robin nice job ! One of my personal problems is that I am a very detailed guy and I must have everything as perfect as I can get it. All my ships that I have built are all within 1mm or 1/2mm within the plans. I drive my wife crazy. I also drove my employees crazy but the end result for me is a lot of satisfaction of a job will done and knowing I did the best I could do.

So this Copper challenge is something I am looking forward to as a measure to see how well I do. If it is not perfect it will be coming offCursing

Bill
Plymouth57
#24 Posted : 12 April 2020 20:24:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi again Bill.

I know exactly what you mean Bill! I used the 6mm tape on mine for 'economy'and ease of production, but I would recommend probably going for sheets of copper foil rather than the rolls in your case as you can measure and cut the scribed tiles to your own specs. I had a quick look on the UK Ebay and you can get the sheets in 6x5 inch pieces on there so you should be able to get that or similar in Canada too.
Best of luck again, I'm off to paint some more 1/700 scale infantry figures whilst my eyes can still see (sort off)!BigGrin

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Bill Butler
#25 Posted : 13 April 2020 18:31:32

Thanks Robin

Good Luck with the painting. I have that to do yet but this copper thing is driving me crazy waiting for material and dealing with this Virus is a challenge but we will press onBlink.
Bill Butler
#26 Posted : 14 June 2020 16:54:05

Well men I got the copper on her. Not to tough a job once I got going. An expensive process though. I bought the copper plates from China and had them shipped by DHL Express. What a nice service. Expensive but they know what they are doing. 6 days from mainland China to my front door in Ontario Canada.
Thanks for all the help and ideas.

RegardsBigGrin

Bill
delboy271155
#27 Posted : 15 June 2020 22:29:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to hear you got your copper tiles. Cool Cool

DHL are not cheap but they have good service times and I heard today that they are opening a direct routed service from China to East Midlands airport here in the UK, so services may get even better.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Dowlking
#28 Posted : 05 September 2020 23:51:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi everyone.

Looking for a bit of copper advice and the broader internet is not helping me all that much!

I'm about ¾ finished tiling my victory and I have a lot of glue stains on the face of the copper. Any pointers on what I can use to remove them?

Thanks
z8000783
#29 Posted : 06 September 2020 07:21:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

I found that white spirit cleaned it all up nicely. Don't use too much though as it could kill the glue underneath. Just a damp rag and some elbow grease on the tougher sections did the trick for me.