Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2D2 stopped working Options
rdlk72
#1 Posted : 25 June 2020 12:25:10

Groups: Registered

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help please, I have already read the troubleshooting guides but may need more specific ideas.. my R2D2 was working perfectly a few weeks ago. I left him unplugged and switched off for about a month, he wasn't moved or touched in this time, but when i tried to switch him on yesterday there was no response, except for the long thin light at the back of the head flashes white for a fraction of a second when pressing the on button.

I thought maybe the batteries were discharged so tried charging him but no lights come on. I have taken out all the batteries and put them in the external charger one by one and they each charged up within a few minutes, and I have checked the voltage of each with a voltmeter and they all appear to be okay.

Any ideas? Could a component have just failed or come loose without him being moved or powered up? It seems strange to me. I'm not sure what to look at first.

many thanks for any hints and ideas.
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 25 June 2020 18:07:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

what voltage did the individual batteries read when you put them in the charger?

Carl

Markwarren
#3 Posted : 25 June 2020 22:34:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

As Carl said it would be nice to know what charge state the batteries were at when you recharged them in the supplied charger.
Also, the fact that the long LED light comes on would indicate an inverted cable. Not sure how it worked before, but check the H-out and C- in cables on the mcu. They have a lug that fits only one way, but can easily be placed in the wrong way, which would send the signal to the long LED instead of the round LED’S on the front and back of the dome.

Mark
tschwand
#4 Posted : 27 June 2020 19:16:48

After you pulled the batteries out, did you redo the initial startup procedure? Have to do that every time the batteries are pulled.
rdlk72
#5 Posted : 28 June 2020 18:10:09

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately i didn't make a note of the battery voltages before i charged them but as i remember they weren't far off what they are now.. i've just checked them and they are all 4.19v (assuming my voltmeter is accurate). I also measured the voltage on the red and black wires from the battery box and that was 12.47 volt.

I've tried the initial startup procedure.. no change.

If i press the on button then the long led flashes momentarily. If i hold the start button in, the long led comes on as long as i'm holding the button in and then goes off, but nothing else happens.

I will check the cables you mentioned, but these were definitely not changed since it was last working, and i'm sure they were plugged in tightly.

thanks!