Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
Tom's Easy Rider Build Options
Markwarren
#61 Posted : 23 June 2020 22:47:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I wish I had those pictures whilst building mine. One thing for sure is the oils painted and wiped off the chrome certainly gives it a more realistic feel now I’ve seen these pics.
You could use some fine wire and wrap the cables up, that might work.

Thanks for the pics, I’m sure other will appreciate those as well.ThumpUp

Mark
mwb
#62 Posted : 24 June 2020 00:18:13

Groups: Registered

I agree with Mark. Wish I had those pics before. I'm not willing to dismantle it though. Awesome photos Tom and thank you for sharing them. I did at least paint the spark plug tops white.
Glad you were wearing your mask. Stay safe.

wyatt
tnequette
#63 Posted : 26 June 2020 19:47:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Happy Friday!

I would like to comment on the pictures I just posted of a real replica versus the kit we are working with. We know the the original Easy Rider was lost in the mid 1960's. There was a second twin built but it was either sold or disappeared before the iconic value of this cycle was realized. There have been a number of replicas built and our kit obviously represents one and the one at the barber Museum is another, built in 1996. There are differences easily discovered. So you can pick and choose your details and have some modeling fun.LOL

There is a ferrule included in Parts 60 but not mentioned. I added this and it looks good.

NOW, this weeks challange:Blink

In the kit there a number of mystery parts for the carburetor. Look at Parts 36. There is a spring "C"; where does it go? There is a hole in "D" bracket plate, why? The fuel valve "H" has a big hole in it. Bet the hose from the fuel tank goes there. I have no idea what (G) the Bracket is on this model and the same goes for our famous "Flip Switch" on the Parts 37, "C" Mounting Plate. It may connect to the Bracket but I do not know. The carb in my pics does not have these and the bracket plate is a bell crank for the real life interior throttle plate and the spring attaches to it to counter the throttle wire which is also missing in our kit. So, I hope to model the Barber machine carb as best I can.

"On a clear day you can see forever."Flapper
tnequette attached the following image(s):
ER42.jpg
ER43.jpg
ER44.jpg
tnequette
#64 Posted : 30 June 2020 01:26:29

A bit of an update.

Scrounging small silly odds and ends is not easy and either are the explanations you have to give to the little old lady (what am I saying? They were younger than I.Blushing ) in the fabric store. Be as is I also found a great scource online for braided wire covering. See the pic. Sizes started at 1/16"ID and went up. You can buy as little as 10 feet for $5.49. You fellows convert at your leisure.BigGrin I stuck 1/16 soft wire into it, wax it first and seal cut ends with a drop of CA. It stretches well over the wire. Open with a toothpick first.

So, we will forgo all the bells and whistles and I will wire the whole cycle as best I can.Blink

The carb is coming along finally. New parts have been made. Found 2mm leather cord (at the fabric store) which will be fine for the fuel line. Buy 5 feet and use 3". Hose clamps will be silver tape (fabric store) cut to width and wrapped.

You will notice that the throttle wire bracket is black for now. I have broken this thing three times now and the finish was ruined. A new one is the Pelican Express from MS in the UK. In the meantime I will try spraying it with AK Interactive Chrome AK477 spray. New to me and it requires a gloss black base. we shall see.

Covid has worsened again over here along with the riots.Mad

ER46.jpg
ER45.jpg
mwb
#65 Posted : 30 June 2020 06:38:23

Now that's the kinda build I like to see Tom. Adding lots of detail using the old model builders saying, "Improvise, adapt and overcome". BigGrin
Markwarren
#66 Posted : 30 June 2020 08:18:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Tom, she really is going to look a beauty when finished.Love Drool

Mark
tnequette
#67 Posted : 30 June 2020 15:41:03

Thanks, Gentlemen.
roymattblack
#68 Posted : 30 June 2020 17:01:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Excellent work there Tom.
It's just amazingly realistic...Love
Gandale
#69 Posted : 01 July 2020 09:19:03

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very impressive Tom, keep it coming......Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
tnequette
#70 Posted : 01 July 2020 16:47:42

Thanks Alan,

The carburetor portion of the built is now on hold awaiting replacement parts, particularly the throttle wire bracket which broke again on me yesterday trying to reinstalling it. it was ordered on june 6. Will move on in the meantime.
BigGrin

Tom
CaptnBirdseye
#71 Posted : 02 July 2020 08:57:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Always good to see another bike build, and i have a feeling this one is going to be a beaut!

Regards Gray
tnequette
#72 Posted : 18 July 2020 23:03:41

This week was research, finding correct materials, disassembly to get stuff out of the way. As I am rewiring as accurately I can, all the kit wiring was stripped and new wiring was begun. Not simple when you don't know how these things were wired but one more trip to the museum, more photos on all things electrical, and a good discussion with the curator helped. The oil tank is really only half a tank and the rest hides the real battery.

I initially stuffed my 1.5mm braid with 1.5mm soft wire. The braiding stretched just fine but the finished wiring was just too large and look too out of scale. See the first pic with the two sizes shown. Removed what wiring I had done on the rear lights and started over. Found some old fishing line, mono filament and only .7mm diameter. Fit the braiding perfectly and looked correct.

So, here is the progress:

ER47.jpg
ER48.jpg
ER49.jpg
ER50.jpg
ER52.jpg
tnequette
#73 Posted : 24 July 2020 20:21:00

The wiring continues. As you can see Wire 1 goes to Battery, Wire 2 goes to Elec Bus. Wire 3 goes Somewhere!
There is a lot of SWAG going on here and I must ask for liberal judgement. I am wiring a different machine from the one I have access to. Both have parts and wires in different places. BUT it WILL look Cool .

I have the fuel pump left which will go to the bus and then should be able to start reassembly and repairs to all I have broken. LOL

ER53.jpg
ER54.jpg
ER55.jpg
Markwarren
#74 Posted : 25 July 2020 08:26:54

Great research and you’ll certainly have a true replica to display.Love Drool

Mark
tnequette
#75 Posted : 27 July 2020 23:01:41

Hello all who have stuck with me. Now I know what in-house arrest feels like!Cursing

WELL, enough of that. The wiring is complete! i am quite pleased, no it is not 100% accurate but it sure looks good. Job was complicated by my the tardiness in my decision to build the best replica of a replica as I could versus lights, bells and whistles. For me, it was the correct decision.

So a few pictures and then we will move on to reconstruction, fuel and oil lines and other good stuff. Getting close!Crying

ER56.jpg
ER57.jpg
ER57.jpg
ER58.jpg
ER59.jpg
ER60.jpg
ER61.jpg
tnequette
#76 Posted : 31 July 2020 00:02:28

I can almost smell the odor of two stroke oil in the morning! The carb linkage is complete and another spring has found its purpose. The throttle wire bracket is holding on by a thread and it will be replaced if and when the replacement arrives. ( almost 2 months now.) Oil lines installed per instructions and exhaust system reinstalled. very little remains and I am procrastinating over it. Fuel tank and line and seat, that's it. Lots of clean up for fingerprints, touch ups and more oil filth for aging. Will be done this weekend.Crying
ER62.jpg
ER63.jpg
ER64.jpg
mwb
#77 Posted : 31 July 2020 00:51:39

Fantastic build Tom. Most impressive.

wyatt
Markwarren
#78 Posted : 31 July 2020 19:42:12

Excellent work Tom.Love

Mark
tnequette
#79 Posted : 31 July 2020 21:50:28

Thanks Guys. I am now procrasting over screwing on the fuel tank and seat. Will do it tomorrow. This kit has been my constant companion for the last 3 month and at least 500 man hours considering 3 museum visits etc. while on house arrest for Covid.
tnequette
#80 Posted : 02 August 2020 01:48:56

It is done.Blink

Fuel tank and line were a hassle as the tank would not lock tight. The tank's rear bracket has a screw head which is larger than the detent hole on the frame, causing it to rock. Use a dremel with ball grinder to flare the hole and all is well. I did not like the chrome fuel line so replaced with a rubber one, using nice fittings from the provided line, which looked more like my barber Museum cycle.

That's it! One picture for now and more to come for the Finished Built gallery.

My summary will take a bit of composing if it is to be useful for a future builder. This will be added to my first post as well as here.BigGrin

Wish i had a helmet.
ER65.jpg