Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Yamato Full Kit Build Time Options
Glennard
#1 Posted : 09 July 2020 10:08:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have ordered the full kit for IJN Yamato, which hopefully will arrive in the next few days. I would be interested to know how long it would take to build this model, based on having a full kit of parts.

In addition to this forum I am also following, with great interest, the Yamato build log on YouTube (John Builds Iconic Military Models)
Current WIP: IJN Yamato
Completed builds: Scottish Maid, HMS Victory (Caldercraft) & HM Sloop Brig Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Web: https://modelshipworld.c...-model-space-1250-scale/
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 09 July 2020 10:48:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Firstly welcome to the Forum.

The Yamato is a very nice ship isn't she. Build time depends on how long a day you spend on it and how much detail you plan on doing if any extra. I built the Hatchette HMS Hood (similar size and same build materials) and that took me 8 years on and off but if I was to do it constantly it would be a good year to two.
Take your time with it and don't rush it and she will build into a great model.

Good luck
Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Glennard
#3 Posted : 09 July 2020 12:04:14

Thanks Chris,
Depending on the building stage sometimes I can spend 3 or 4 hours a day on the build and sometimes I can only spend 30 mins. My idea with getting the full kit is that I can switch between the wooden hull and superstructure builds and can treat them as two separate projects which will come together.

I have been looking at HMS Hood as a possible build project but I would also be very tempted to buy the Chris Watton designed HMS Victory when that kit gets released.
Completed builds: Scottish Maid, HMS Victory (Caldercraft) & HM Sloop Brig Speedy (Vanguard Models)

magpie1832
#4 Posted : 09 July 2020 12:47:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The Chris Watton Victory is an amazing kit. From what I have read we are looking at at least 2 years until full release giving plenty of time to save up for it.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Glennard
#5 Posted : 09 July 2020 14:21:14

magpie1832 wrote:
The Chris Watton Victory is an amazing kit. From what I have read we are looking at at least 2 years until full release giving plenty of time to save up for it.

Based on the Speedy kit I have just built (a new Chris Watton design), his HMS Victory will more than rival the existing Caldercraft version which was an amazing kit to built.