Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Complete noob looking to build DC Douglas Options
jonnibravo
#1 Posted : 29 July 2020 22:09:08

Groups: Registered

Hi All, my name is Jonathan.

I am a complete noob looking to start a hobby in model building, I guess I could be trying to run before I can walk here but how difficult would building the deagostini Douglas DC3 1:32 Model be for a novice and what tools would I need.

I really wanted to build one of the deagosdtini cars but unfortunately they are way too expensive for me and I cannot wait 2 years to build a car I get parts for every month. So I was thinking of purchasing the Douglas DC3 1:32 Model.

Advice appreciated.
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 29 July 2020 22:36:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Jonathan, BigGrin

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I built the official build of the DC3, so know it well. (A link to which is below):

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=322

The DC3 is made up using several media ie wood, plastic, paper,metal sheet and cast metal. There is also the option to light this kit, so a very basic knowledge of wiring/soldering would be an advantage but not essential.

I would suggest that you spend some time looking through the Official Build and see what you think. The main thing I think you need to realise, is that to get the best end result you need to be able to work very accurately from the start as later on you have to cut,bend and shape metal plates to cover the model.

If you still wish to proceed then I will happily talk tools with you.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#3 Posted : 30 July 2020 08:15:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard Jonathan, hope you enjoy your time with us.....

In addition to the points Derek has mentioned I think it would be a good idea for you to have a good through all of the build guides for this kit. These guides will give you the step by step process to achieve a successful build and by looking at these you can judge for yourself as to whether you believe you have the patience and skill needed to take this one on.... You can find the guide on this link, just look under the 'Build' tab and download to view....

https://www.model-space....ld-the-douglas-dc3.html

If you take the build on then you have the assistance of the members here should you need it... Hope you take this on and look forward to following your progress..

Regards

Alan
RM1
#4 Posted : 31 July 2020 14:24:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Jonathan, Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here with the build. Looks like a great kit to work on.
Malc.