IMG_1150.jpg
Completed Build: Bluenose

Current build: Pegasus
Marcallain
#42 Posted : 13 October 2018 02:56:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

File Attachment(s):
IMG_0955.jpg (355kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
IMG_1102.jpg (285kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
IMG_1135.jpg (450kb) downloaded 18 time(s).
IMG_1130.jpg (280kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
IMG_1143.jpg (310kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
Winch Box.jpg (322kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
Marcallain attached the following image(s):
Anchor1.jpg
Anchor2.jpg
Buoys.jpg
Cathead1.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1131.jpg
IMG_1138.jpg
IMG_1139.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg
mast ring.jpg

arpurchase
#43 Posted : 13 October 2018 08:18:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#44 Posted : 13 October 2018 08:22:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice detailed work being done, she's looking great..... Very well done....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#45 Posted : 13 October 2018 09:59:35

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is some very nice work, coming on great.Love

Mark
Marcallain
#46 Posted : 13 July 2020 20:49:41

I have been away for some time and finally getting back to my bluenose build.
Here is an update as of July 12, 2020

Well, that is it for now, I am in the process of making an acrylic case in order to protect the model once I start the rigging. I will be away for several months so stay tuned for the next update on my Bluenose build. Thank you for your comments together with your interest and I hope you enjoyed the diary.

I managed to complete a display case for my model of the Bluenose. I wanted to complete the case before I continued with the rigging. Due to being away for extended periods, I wanted to protect the model from accumulating too much dust. The first step was to determine the size required. This was larger than you may think as it needed to accommodate the completed model. It ended up being 36 inches in length, 32 inches high and a width of 9 and one half inches. I added two handles to the ends in order to help maneuver the cover which is quite awkward to move because of its size and weight. I used a piece of plywood for the base and added maple molding around the base in order to finish the edges. I covered the base with blue felt, added lights and a piece of Nova Scotia Tartan to acknowledge the Canadian Province where the Bluenose was built in 1921. A good friend was able to provide me with a piece of authenticated wood removed from the Bluenose II while it was being repaired. With this, I turned a handle for a letter opener and included it in the display.IMG_0383
Rigging 1
Ready 2
Ready
Main Sail
Main Gaff
Main Boom
IMG_0613.jpeg
IMG_0386
IMG_0385

Making sails was the next task. I started by making patterns for all the sails. I decided to make the sails from Silkspan as I found the material in the kit to be too heavy. I painted the Silkspan with some acrylic paint and let it dry. I transferred the sail patterns and cut the painted Silkspan and added the sail seams with a pencil. I added strips of the sail material to all edges on both sides to make the sails a bit stronger. After this I added a ring to each corner of the sail to use as cringles. In order to do this, I attached a short line to the ring using white glue to attach the ring and line to the corner of the sail and covered the line with a gusset on both sides of the sail in order to strengthen these points. I now needed to find some way to attach the sails to the stays and masts. For the mast attachment I used hanks made from wire and rings in order to secure the jibs to the stays. In order to prevent the sails from tearing on the edges, I decided to add another strip of material to all the edges. I incorporated a piece of line and glued these strips by folding them over the outside edges of the sails. This worked well and allowed me to insert the hanks, and rings without damaging the edges of the sails. I also used this method to attach some fairleads to both the main and fore topsails. The sails were now ready to be installed.
Add Ring
Adding Fairleads 1
All Sails
Another Gusset
Attaching hanks 1
Attaching Hanks 2
Attaching Hanks 3
Balloon Jib
Fairlead
Fairlead to Main Topsail
Fairleads 1
Fairleads 2
Fairleads 3
Fairleads 4
Fairleads 5
Fairleads 6
Fairleads 7
Fairleads 8
Fitting Jumbo Jib
Fore Topsail
Gusset end
Gusset Start
Hanks
IMG_0415
Main + Hanks
Main sheet
Main Topsail
Rings on Jib
Sail Lashed to Boom
Silkspan
Silkspan Painted
Start Gusset

Time to step the Masts. After agonizing over whether to just step the masts and secure with the stays and shrouds, I decided to glue the masts in place with epoxy.
The main mast is raked at 3 degrees and the fore mast at 0 degrees. I made sure the masts were both aligned with the center of the ship by attaching a weighted line to each side of the spreaders at the same distance from the center, I projected these same measurements to the deck which confirmed that both masts were in alignment and perpendicular.
[img]" alt=""/>Getting Ready
Mast Raked 3 deg
Masts set
Stepping Mast 1
Stepping Mast 2
Stepping Mast 3

This is the latest on my Bluenose build. Since the beginning May 25, 2017 I have logged 623 hours. It has been a long process and at times slow either due to being away together with this being my first build. I am on the final stretch and will share the completed build in my next update.
File Attachment(s):
Silkspan.jpg (258kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
Case.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_1371.jpg
Attachment.jpg
Attachment 2.jpg
IMG_1371.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0385.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg
Main Boom.jpg
Main Gaff.jpg
Main Sail.jpg
Ready.jpg
Ready 2.jpg
Rigging 1.jpg
Add Ring.jpg
Adding Fairleads 1.jpg
Another Gusset.jpg
All Sails.jpg
Fairleads 1.jpg
Fairleads 2.jpg
Fairleads 3.jpg
Fairleads 4.jpg
Fairleads 5.jpg
Fairleads 6.jpg
Fairleads 7.jpg
Fairleads 8.jpg
Attaching hanks 1.jpg
Attaching Hanks 2.jpg
Attaching Hanks 3.jpg
Fairlead.jpg
Hanks.jpg
Gusset Start.jpg
Gusset end.jpg
Fairlead to Main Topsail.jpg
Fitting Jumbo Jib.jpg
Fore Topsail.jpg
Main Topsail.jpg
Main + Hanks.jpg
Rings on Jib.jpg
Sail Lashed to Boom.jpg
Silkspan Painted.jpg
Start Gusset.jpg
Getting Ready.jpg
Stepping Mast 1.jpg
Stepping Mast 2.jpg
Stepping Mast 3.jpg
Mast Raked 3 deg.jpg
Masts set.jpg
Stepping Mast 2.jpg

Gandale
#47 Posted : 13 July 2020 22:43:18

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

What a super looking build you've put together. Think this is a build you can be very proud of when complete and fitted in her display case for all to see.... Looking at this I'd say you have the skill to take on any build and I look forward to seeing more of your work..... Very well done indeed.....Drool Drool Love Love Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Sticky Wickett
#48 Posted : 23 July 2020 21:42:46

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks fantastic! You have great skills and this is a first class build!Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
Marcallain
#49 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:00:54

After stepping the masts, I needed to complete the actual rigging. As I had previously created and labelled most of the rigging lines with their various tackle, all that remained was to attach these to the ship. I found that some needed to be redone as they were not long enough or needed modifications. I would suggest that when constructing the rigging don’t skimp on the line. Yes, it is expensive, but it is better than having to remake and waste even more line. A brief note on the Blue Jacket blocks I used. The rigging plans called for various sizes of blocks anywhere from 3/32 to 7/32. I upsized most blocks by one size with the largest being ¼ with the smallest at 1/8. The 3/32 blocks were virtually impossible to deal with. The sizes I used were 1/8, 3/16, 7/32 and 1/4. All blocks were drilled, sanded, cleaned with acetone and painted brown.

Marcallain
#50 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:02:35

The first sail to install was the main which I had already down sized to 1/3 of the original as I wanted to furl it. I think 2/3 the size would have been ok as well. Next I lashed the sail to the boom by simply starting at one end and weaving the line through the sail and around the boom. I had researched pictures of the Bluenose and found two different versions of this attachment with some being tied and others lashed. I had created some metal hanks from thin wire by first cutting a piece of this at 2 inches bent at 90 degrees and inserted into pre spaced holes in the sail. I then bent the wire through the top of the mast hoops making sure I had all at 3/16 of an inch. Next I curled the wire up in order to attach it to the mast hoops. I was concerned with this as I was afraid of tearing the edge of the sail and or braking the fragile mast hoops. It all worked well and in little time I had the main sail attached. I did the same with the fore sail, main top sail and the fore topsail. The only difference with the topsails is that I started with the bottom of the sail and fed this from top to bottom. It was now time to furl the main and fore sail by first spraying a little water on the sail and slowly forming them into a furled position on the booms. The water helped soften the Silkspan and allowed me to create a descent furled look.
I installed the 3mm rings on the Jumbo jib, Jib and the balloon jib. As previously discussed, I had inserted a piece of line inside the leading edge (the luff) in order to provide some strength for the rings over 72 of them. I was able to thread the fore stay, jib stay and Balloon jib stay’s through the rings and secure them and furl the jumbo jib even though it was full size and not reduced to 1/3. Silkspan once painted is surprisingly strong and fairly easy to shape. I wanted to create the illusion of wind in the sails, so I decided to install a thin 30 gauge copper wire in the edge of the main top sail, fore top sail, Jib as well as the balloon jib. This allowed me to shape the edge of the sail into what appears to be filled with wind, the wire helps the sail maintain its shape.

Marcallain
#51 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:04:08

It was now time to secure the rest of the standing rigging. After the three jib stays were in place I worked my way aft by securing first the pullback stay then the spring stay followed by the main topmast stay. Continuing aft with the topping lift and the quarter lift on port and starboard. Next was the flying back stays which needed to reflect the ship on a starboard tack. I needed to slack the port one which would allow me to move the main gaff to port. I really wanted to delay the installation of the 20 deadeyes in order to give me better access to the inside of the deck. I continued with the throat halyards followed by the peak halyards. At this stage, I installed some deck details, rope hanks, coils of rope and two boat hook poles. I am still having some difficulty making decent rope hanks which kept falling apart on me. This is something I will need to work on more.
I had previously installed the upper rat lines before I stepped the main and fore mast. It was now time to complete the lower deadeyes. A note here, I had decided to include both the port and starboard dory tackle which meant I needed to include a means of attaching the upper portion which is lashed to shrouds. I used zip sizing which needed to be included on the shrouds before attaching the deadeyes. The sheer poles were installed followed by the lower ratlines. I decided to use a jig in order to complete this task which made the job a little easier and I was able to space the ratlines evenly. Unfortunately, this does not give the ratlines that little sag which in my opinion looks more appealing. All that was left to do was to make and install the dory tackles and the navigation lights. It was time to secure the ship inside the case I had previously completed along with the letter opener I made from a piece of wood from the Bluenose II.

Marcallain
#52 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:09:25

It is now July 31, 2020 and I have finally completed my Bluenose build after 714 hours and a total of 182 days of work. This will be my last and final update on this build. I have learned so much in the building of a model ship and thoroughly enjoyed the build. I have now decided to build my second ship, the HMS Pegasus from 1776 by Amati.
I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to read this log and who have commented on my Bluenose build. Your comments along with your encouragement have made this all possible.

/Users/marcallain/Desktop/Bluenose build log/End Pictures/Model 1.jpg
Bluenose art.jpg
Bow with star.jpg
Model 1.jpg
Model 2.jpg
Model 3.jpg
Model 4.jpg
Model 5.jpg
Model 6.jpg
Model 7.jpg
Model 8.jpg
Model 9.jpg
Model 11.jpg
Model 12.jpg
Model 13.jpg
Name plaque.jpg
37 Dime.jpg
Port side.jpg
Rudder.jpg
Stern.jpg
Bluenose on Mantel.jpg
In case 1.jpg
In Case lights.jpg

Gandale
#53 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:23:22

Beautifully done and something to admire for years to come... Very well done and credit to your skills, she looks fab.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
CaptnBirdseye
#54 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:43:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Seconded. A real beauty and a credit to your skills ThumpUp
Taken a long time, but all-in-all time well spent Drool

Regards
Gray
Markwarren
#55 Posted : 04 August 2020 08:52:28

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Beautiful work, a true craftsman. Very well done, outstanding build.Love Love

Mark
darbyvet
#56 Posted : 04 August 2020 14:44:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Stunning build. Museum quality for sure.

Carl