Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

John Mann Options
John Mann
#1 Posted : 20 August 2020 10:07:02

Groups: Registered

VW Beetle. The model is produced in red colour. I it possible to respray the parts to green please? Comments will be appreciated.
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 20 August 2020 11:07:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Many people repaint their various car kits.
Some strip off all the original paint, some don't. It appears to make little difference as long as you finely sand the red colour and apply a good auto primer before top coats.

Roy.
John Mann
#3 Posted : 20 August 2020 11:47:40

roymattblack wrote:
Some strip off all the original paint, some don't. It appears to make little difference as long as you finely sand the red colour and apply a good auto primer before top coats.

Roy.

Thank youfor such a prompt reply JohnMann
bfam4t6
#4 Posted : 20 August 2020 15:58:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hey John,

Another idea that I've seen somewhere on the forums, and one what I've considered myself, is taking the body parts to be resprayed to a body shop. I figure they have all the tools and equipment already, and should be able to provide a quality finish. While I would love to set up a large spray booth and do it all myself, my current living situation just doesn't allow it.

I think I would rather allow someone else to take credit for my smooth paint finish, than try to do it myself and end up with an orange peeled car full of cat hairs.
-Dustin

“Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail.”
-Leonardo Da Vinci

Currently Building:
Porsche 2.7 RS

Currently Collecting
Jaguar E-Type, Ferrari F40, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lamborghini Miura, Ford GT40, Ecto-1, Japanese Zero, Porsche 917, Lancia Stratos

roymattblack
#5 Posted : 20 August 2020 16:39:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I enquired about that at a local car body shop a few years ago when I found out how appalling the colour matching was on the Eaglemoss DB5 body parts.

After peeling my eyebrows off the roof, I decided I didn't want to pay anywhere between £200-£300 depending on the time it would take and that I'd have to pay for a full can of pro car paint even though I would only need a fraction of it.
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 20 August 2020 19:44:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You also need to bear in mind that compared to the real thing this is quite a lot smaller, but body shops would still charge by the hour, up to £100 in some places
John Mann
#7 Posted : 20 August 2020 19:51:09

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
You also need to bear in mind that compared to the real thing this is quite a lot smaller, but body shops would still charge by the hour, up to £100 in some places

I am sure you are right. Thank you
John Mann
#8 Posted : 20 August 2020 19:54:53

bfam4t6 wrote:
Hey John,

Another idea that I've seen somewhere on the forums, and one what I've considered myself, is taking the body parts to be resprayed to a body shop. I figure they have all the tools and equipment already, and should be able to provide a quality finish. While I would love to set up a large spray booth and do it all myself, my current living situation just doesn't allow it.

I think I would rather allow someone else to take credit for my smooth paint finish, than try to do it myself and end up with an orange peeled car full of cat hairs.

Thank you
John Mann
#9 Posted : 20 August 2020 19:58:32

roymattblack wrote:

Roy.

Thank you
John Mann
#10 Posted : 20 August 2020 20:01:41

roymattblack wrote:
I enquired about that at a local car body shop a few years ago when I found out how appalling the colour matching was on the Eaglemoss DB5 body parts.

After peeling my eyebrows off the roof, I decided I didn't want to pay anywhere between £200-£300 depending on the time it would take and that I'd have to pay for a full can of pro car paint even though I would only need a fraction of it.

Thank you
John Mann
#11 Posted : 20 August 2020 20:03:24

roymattblack wrote:

Roy.

Thank you
John Mann
#12 Posted : 20 August 2020 20:07:31

CaptnBirdseye wrote:

Thank you
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 20 August 2020 20:31:39

You can get great results yourself just using real car rattle cans if you take your time.
I've used rattle cans on all of my own 1/8 scratch builds.
Here's a C Type I built for someone a few years ago.
All painted with rattle cans.
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1010035.JPG