#1 Posted : 21 August 2020 17:41:55

Groups: Registered

Hello there everyone
I know it has been a while since I posted a question here or asked for help, I
was finally able to finish the lining of the gun ports and now I am getting
ready to do stage 36 which come to my help question since being away from
planking the hull for a while I got disoriented, so my question where do I
start, I'm kind of lost here the instructions say to follow steps in stages 32
and 33,for stage 36, do I add the first bow plank in place and which rib does it
stop at and when do I add temporary dropper planks in stage 32 page 186 in my
book that is, it says to place them between rib 17 & 19 does that go with stage
36 as well. anyway that my dilemma for now I would appreciate any advise here so
I can continue or pick up where I left off with this build
thank you
Ronald
Gandale
#2 Posted : 21 August 2020 18:46:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Ronald, if you look at the Official Video for stage 36 you should see the where the build is at and the steps that needs to be taken next....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMES2J0-sU

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#3 Posted : 22 August 2020 13:57:19

sorry Alan
but that segment of the video is not very helpful at all he doesn't show how
he picked up from last time, all I see is dropper planks at 17 & 19 I don't
see plank # 5 which would be the one that starts stage 36, is # 5 the one that
raised about two planks above # 4 if so at which rib do I trim the plank at
or better yet do I follow stages 32 to the T, I will study the instructions
again but will use my magnifiers and look at the photos very closely
Ronald
ronald305
#4 Posted : 22 August 2020 14:31:05

here are two different photos of the bow feel free to copy and cycle the area of
interest or what ever you call it
Ronald
ronald305 attached the following image(s):
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
ronald305
#5 Posted : 22 August 2020 22:09:54

sorry for the double photo of the same shot I didn't know how to remove one of them or didn't know I downloaded the same photo twice
Ronald
Gandale
#6 Posted : 23 August 2020 10:10:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Ronald, I have removed the duplicate image for you and looking at your build so far I have to say it is looking good, well done... Now to get you back on track....

The instructions say to continue planking following the 'techniques' outlined in stages 32/33. So looking at your build I'd say your next step is to determine whether you need to fit a tapered plank at the bow or whether you need to fit a dropper. How to determine whether you can simply use a tapered plank is shown in Stage 32, steps 2-6. It is more than likely you would need to fit a dropper rather than a simple tapered plank.

If you find you need to fit a dropper than carry out the process outlined in stage 32 (Fitting Dropper Planks), start by fitting the two spacer planks between frames 17-19. When I did the Official Video Build, I found that stage 36 started with the need to fit another dropper plank and you see the next 3 rows of planks fitted, leaving the gap at the bow for the second dropper to be fitted. You also see the two temporary spacer planks having been fitted between frames 17-19 ready to start the process of fitting yet another dropper.

Hope this helps you out.... Have also sent you a PM...

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#7 Posted : 23 August 2020 15:12:54

HI Alan I'm sorry I forgot you was the gentleman that did the video and that I answered
your PM first since it was first in the list of e-mails then I usually read the
next e-mail, as I mentioned in your PM,I believe I got it now just have to make
sure of something besides using dropper planks which I have already have in
place between 17 & 19,and since my last planking ended at rib 18 do I start my
first plank for stage 36 at rib 16 then the next plank at rib 17 then rib 18
is that correct, that is what stages 32 in the (where the parts fit section )
page 184, says then the middle planks then the stern area right I want to make
sure. thank you
Ronald
Gandale
#8 Posted : 23 August 2020 16:44:35

Hi Ronald, the answer to your question is yes.... If your last row of planks staggered at rib 18 then your next row should be back to 16. As long as the stagger points are different for each row then you shouldn't run into any problems....

Look forward to seeing more of your build...

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#9 Posted : 23 August 2020 19:15:10

ok thank Alan
reason I do not show much of my build right now is because I am not prod of it because at the moment it's not as pretty as the other members victory build at this point of the build hopefully when I am finished sanding the hull it may look a little better, but not till then, speaking of sanding the hull in the video you mentioned medium and fine sanding, May I ask what grad of sand paper or sponge you refer to as in medium and fine so I know what to get when I am ready to sand the hull. thank you
Ronald
z8000783
#10 Posted : 24 August 2020 06:37:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

ronald305 wrote:

...reason I do not show much of my build right now is because I am not prod of it because at the moment it's not as pretty as the other members victory build .....

It's a build in progress, Ronald. It's not meant to look pretty and I do not look at the builds with that filter.

Using the filters I do have, your build looks fine to me. There is still much to do such that it will end up a fine looking ship I'm sure Nelson would have been proud to see. From where I sit, You certainly have something to be proud of.

I found putting lots of pictures up of my build progress gave members here the opportunity to spot things I had missed and had the chance to correct before I went any further.

Gandale
#11 Posted : 24 August 2020 09:10:04

ronald305 wrote:
ok thank Alan
reason I do not show much of my build right now is because I am not prod of it because at the moment it's not as pretty as the other members victory build at this point of the build hopefully when I am finished sanding the hull it may look a little better, but not till then, speaking of sanding the hull in the video you mentioned medium and fine sanding, May I ask what grad of sand paper or sponge you refer to as in medium and fine so I know what to get when I am ready to sand the hull. thank you
Ronald

Hi Ronald. Have to agree with John here, your build is work in progress and is unlikely to be pretty at the stage you are at. From what I see so far you're doing a fine job and should end up with a lovely looking model. Posting pics not only allows us to see your progress but it also allow us to see any potential pitfalls you may be heading towards and to advise where needed. I would encourage any modeller on this site to post up diaries of their builds.

As for sanding, I have a variety of sanding grades of paper and sanding blocks, from P60 upwards. I would suggest you take a look at this video, it gives a good description on how to go about sanding down your hull. As you will see, its not pretty but he finishes off with a very nice result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xXiG_-GvQk

During the sanding process, collect the sawdust into a container rather than simply throwing it away. When it comes to filling gaps, take some of the sawdust and mix it with some PVA, the mix makes an excellent filler and will be the same colour as the rest of the planks on the hull....

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#12 Posted : 24 August 2020 14:13:47

Ok thanks john and Alan
I do ask you request will try to put photos of the build progress for other to view and for my self as well, as far as sanding the hull all I wanted to know was the two different grades of sanding paper or sponge 180, 160 ETC, also would like to add I already collect the dust for use as fillers with PVC glue just never tried it yet
Ronald
Gandale
#13 Posted : 24 August 2020 14:52:14

ronald305 wrote:
Ok thanks john and Alan
I do ask you request will try to put photos of the build progress for other to view and for my self as well, as far as sanding the hull all I wanted to know was the two different grades of sanding paper or sponge 180, 160 ETC, also would like to add I already collect the dust for use as fillers with PVC glue just never tried it yet
Ronald

I don't use just two grades, I use various grades from P60 upwards. Buy various grades and you should be ok..

Regards

Alan
ronald305
#14 Posted : 24 August 2020 15:39:07

ok I got it thanks
Ronald